Author Topic: rappers and hooks  (Read 749 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
rappers and hooks
« on: November 28, 2006, 02:32:21 PM »
rappers need to quit singing hooks, leave it to the pros........a few hear and their is dope and if you gone do your own hook, take it back to its roots, eminem started singin his hooks on eminem show, i hated that shit......his hooks on mmlp, were on another level, no singin hardly apart from on a few tracks and he wasnt tryna be nate or someone he aint.........50 needs to do the same, a few hooks singin is aight, but not a whole album, people so quick to point out games album does not having him do many hooks, i think thats one of the reasons its a brilliant album, he leaves it to the pros and when he does a hook himself it sounds dope.

rappers need to work on their hook game

im out

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Re: rappers and hooks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
There used to be a time when a song didn't  go like this:

Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook x2

Now that a song is like that today, the hooks is just either thrown together or they make up the whole song.

In my opinion anyways.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:44:21 PM »
People pay more attention to the hooks than anything. I can't count how many times I've seen someone listen to a horrible song then say "I don't really like that song, but the hook is nice".

Hooks + Beats = Success. Just look at 50.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
When 50 came out he really changed the game. The focous nowadays is more on the whole songwriting process, from how you write your verses, how you flow on the beat and the hook became an important part two.

Many rappers try to do these hooks but fail to do so, the best hook/songwriters are Snoop, 50 and Busta imo.

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
When 50 came out he really changed the game. The focous nowadays is more on the whole songwriting process, from how you write your verses, how you flow on the beat and the hook became an important part two.

Many rappers try to do these hooks but fail to do so, the best hook/songwriters are Snoop, 50 and Busta imo.

Aint nothing wrong with writing hooks, its when you try to sing them the song goes to shit. If Ja had gotten someone like omarion or Ne Yo to sing "Those hips, those thighs" etc etc he would never hace fallen off because even i would have enjoyed the songs, and im sure a lot of others.

The Maestro

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »

Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook x2

Now that a song is like that today, the hooks is just either thrown together or they make up the whole song.

In my opinion anyways.

dont forget the always lame bridge between hook 3 and the final verse

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:12:27 PM »

Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook x2

In my opinion anyways.

dont forget the always lame bridge between hook 3 and the final verse

Oh yeah, LOL, that too.

everlast1986

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 04:19:43 PM »
Hooks are one part of what makes a song catchy wether its a rapper doing it or if its a sample cut from a producer. It just depends on wether its good or not.

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
Hooks are one part of what makes a song catchy wether its a rapper doing it or if its a sample cut from a producer. It just depends on wether its good or not.

True talk there, 7 times outta 10 near the end like QuietTruth said there's a lame bridge, i hear it too many times >_>. If the hook catches onto me then i start listening to the rest of the lyrics pretty much. Then i got a full evaluation if it good or not.
Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:07:11 PM »
you NEED a hook 8/10 times unless youre on some wu tang triumph lyrical ability, but usually a song wont hold attention if you cant bring it all together with unifying part

Sanford - V. President of the Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The movement is Suckaa Free.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:44:36 PM »
Chamillionaire should be the only artist who can rap and sing the hook on the same song. 

Pick up 2 gats like Riley with a full 16 clip, on some sick shit like Lynch, while rippin a bitch's clit with beyonce's mouth on the tip of my dick.

Dangerous Crew Beeyatch!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 05:58:58 PM »
Danger from the wild wild west
cant you tell by the S on my chest
We got hoes for days plus we paid
no dress no mothafuckin stress

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »

Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook x2

In my opinion anyways.

i agree wit that shit fo real

Citizen-Y

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »
Chamillionaire should be the only artist who can rap and sing the hook on the same song. 

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »

And Bone.