Author Topic: rappers and hooks  (Read 750 times)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: rappers and hooks
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 09:04:25 PM »
The guy rapping for me sings and raps but actualy sings not like that eminem/50 type signing im talking he sounds like akon then starts rapping.

westkoastanostra

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 10:08:24 PM »
When 50 came out he really changed the game. The focous nowadays is more on the whole songwriting process, from how you write your verses, how you flow on the beat and the hook became an important part two.

Many rappers try to do these hooks but fail to do so, the best hook/songwriters are Snoop, 50 and Busta imo.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "changing the game"..because it has been done before by several other rappers way b4 50 was a rapper...Ja rule was singing too...biggie sang some shit....

CoreG37

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:12:14 PM »
you NEED a hook 8/10 times unless youre on some wu tang triumph lyrical ability, but usually a song wont hold attention if you cant bring it all together with unifying part

Lil' Wayne didn't have hooks for most of the Carter 2 and most of yall loved that shit

walsh23

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »
When 50 came out he really changed the game. The focous nowadays is more on the whole songwriting process, from how you write your verses, how you flow on the beat and the hook became an important part two.

Many rappers try to do these hooks but fail to do so, the best hook/songwriters are Snoop, 50 and Busta imo.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "changing the game"..because it has been done before by several other rappers way b4 50 was a rapper...Ja rule was singing too...biggie sang some shit....

you can say 50 cent is a good hook writer but imo he isnt very good when he does the hook by himself

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 12:43:51 AM »
rappers need to quit singing hooks, leave it to the pros

Amen to that
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 01:20:28 AM »
Hate it or love it but 50 Cent can sing and has great hooks. 50 and Cham have almost identical styles.

I devide the hooks from 50 into 4 categories:

a) On serious, gangsta tracks: Always has dope hooks

b) On club bangers: always dope too (Outta Control, Outta Control remix, How We Do, In Da Club....)

c) Catchy tracks: usually I dont like them but you have to look them in different prospective. They were made to be catchy. Take a Lil Bit for example. The hook is mad corny but everybody was singing it for 2 months. Similliar example is Chams Grown And Sexy.

d) Garbage: Candy Shop

Anyone that says that Cham is the only one who should be singing hooks, is saying "and 50 Cent also". Their styles are so simillar its just plain hating if you dont admit that.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 01:23:05 AM »

Aint nothing wrong with writing hooks, its when you try to sing them the song goes to shit. If Ja had gotten someone like omarion or Ne Yo to sing "Those hips, those thighs" etc etc he would never hace fallen off because even i would have enjoyed the songs, and im sure a lot of others.

But anyone that focus only on these 3 crappy songs Ja made on one album, full of gangsta tracks is an idiot.

But people get hated on more when theyre on top. Basically every commercial rapper has made crappy, chick track but only the ones on top get the hate. Because when they do it, its a mega hit.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 09:30:59 AM »

kemizt

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 11:04:24 AM »
You can't say only certain dudes can do hooks and certain ones can't, it ain't black and white like that. Sure, some do it better more often than others, but that don't mean somebody NEVER comes good on a hook.

I'm ready for a change in the game though, it's kinda boring that all tracks now have that "popular music pattern", verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, chorus. But I guess it was inevitable when rap made the breakthrough into popular culture.

RXL

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 03:51:35 PM »
seen green?!

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 06:43:35 PM »
Mobb Deep's "GET AWAY" was such a tight hook as it kept looping in while H and P exchanged bar for bar  ;)

The Best of 3 Worlds