Author Topic: 50 Cent, Almost Ready To Self Destruct  (Read 889 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
50 Cent, Almost Ready To Self Destruct
« on: December 01, 2006, 10:14:12 AM »
50 Cent has never been completely up front with fans about the deeper meaning behind his album titles. But he might just top Get Rich or Die Tryin' and The Massacre with the name of his third major-label release: Before I Self Destruct.

50 revealed the title to MTV News recently and justified it — cryptically, of course — by simply saying, "Because it could potentially happen."

The music, however, is likely to be lighter than his previous efforts, as the rapper has said he's been inspired lately by old R&B and Motown artists like Smokey Robinson. And we also know he's working with at least one R&B producer: Beyoncé hitmaker Rich Harrison.

"I show more vulnerability on this record than on others," 50 said. "I'm in a space where I can experiment a little bit. I mean, I felt a lot of pressure between each one of my projects. And they don't say, 'Do you think 50 can make a good record?' They say, 'Do you think he can do it again?' And that means [if I will] have the same success as I've had on each one of those projects. They don't care whether the state of the music business is changing; they'll say I've failed if I don't do what I did on the first two projects."

And, as 50 noted, that's no easy task.

"So 11 million records on my first album and 9.5 on my second album," he continued. "And when I'm getting ready to go into this project, considering that Apple is selling millions of iPods and Microsoft is coming out with competing products and Sony — everybody has something that encourages people to download material instead of purchasing the actual CD. The general public will still take advantage of it and say that I'm becoming less of an artist."

50 didn't elaborate whether Before I Self Destruct will try to live up to those expectations or shun them aside, but said to expect the album in the spring.

In the meantime, the rapper is furthering his acting career with several upcoming projects. The first of those, "Home of the Brave," with Samuel L. Jackson and Jessica Biel, opens next month.

"My character was actually a lot smaller [originally]," 50 said. "Irwin [Winkler, the director] kept expanding the character based on my performance. He wanted to see more from me in the film, so he just kept on adding scenes for me."

This report is provided by MTV News (MTV.com)
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com

Chief

Re: 50 Cent, Almost Ready To Self Destruct
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »
looks like he's slowin his roll with the sales talk.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »
^^ He probably knows that if Justin, Jay, Beyonce, Chrstina Aguilera, Luda.. are having hard time doing numbers they previously did, he aint gonna sell 1.1 mil again first week.

I posted the article already btw.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:29:13 PM »
looks like he's slowin his roll with the sales talk.

Word.  He's already coming up with excuses for why he won't push as many units this time around. 

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 03:31:38 PM »
But it is true. Its the state of music industry today. Bascially every 2nd kid has an Ipod or some shit like that.

CaliKorleone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »
I bet Game, Snoop, and Jay-Z are already multiplatnium on Itunes.
Welcome to the land of the killas, gangsta, hustlas, playas
Westcoast, The real life San Andreas
The real niggaz, jack suckas, fuck the haters
We got bitches, chronic, Lakers, Raiders

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »
Word.  He's already coming up with excuses for why he won't push as many units this time around.

Yeah... hes going to sell 6 million instead of 11 million. Wow... hes really going to flop. No shit he won't push as many units, but hes still going to be the top selling hiphop artist of the year.

rik

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »

Yeah... hes going to sell 6 million instead of 11 million. Wow... hes really going to flop. No shit he won't push as many units, but hes still going to be the top selling hiphop artist of the year.

Jrome you should know better than to talk bad about this guys love interest.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:58:06 PM by Rik - The Rookie Of The Year »

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »

Where did I say he was flopping?  Re-read my shit boy, I said he's not gonna push as many units this time around and he's making excuses.  You step in mad emotional talking about people say he's flopping and that he won't be the top selling hip hop artist of the year.  You're hearing voices bruh.

Jrome you should know better than to talk bad about this guys love interest.

Word.  These dudes kill me.

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
You guys talk about sales as if you're getting paid on the side for them..

50 needs to put out some good hip hop music and stop getting his fans to worry about soundscan. Like he said, not every dollar is a good dollar so why try to talk about your business, talk about your music. He didn't sell all those records on Piggy Bank or Outta Control, he sold those records from Candy Shop.

Shit, if you so worried about how many people going to buy your album.. just get some balloon pants, start dancing and call yourself MC Hammer II

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 06:30:19 PM »
Candy Shop was a good song. Every artist makes songs for the ladies. Luda, Lil Jon, everyone. Whys it such a big deal?

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 02:48:53 AM »
I dont like Candy Shop at all but like King Brant said everybody does a chick song. The difference is 50 made a huge hit out of it. If you look at this track from a different perspective youll see why. First it was targeted at the chicks and they loved it. It also had a banging beat so it was good for the clubs. It got him to sell 1.1. mil afterall too, which was his goal.

Once again I dont like the song mainly because of the super wack chours, the verses were normal for a chick track.However out of all the chicks tracks that were made in the past few years it was one of the best. 50 made it to sell and he succeded. Many try to do it it but fail to do so (Busta I Love My Chick for example)

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »
Nobody is doubting the business tactics of 50 Cent making a 'chick song' so he can sell records.. 

MC Hammer did the same thing, he made lots of tracks for the girls and dancers and he sold lots of records.. Should he be considered a hip hop/rap legend? Should he be next to 2pac and Biggie since he sold a shit load of records?

The point i'm trying to make is that 50 Cent is not selling 11 million records with good hip hop music, he doing it with pop shit.  Candy Shop, Just A Lil Bit are in the same category as "ice ice baby" and "here comes the hammer". lol 50 is so worried about record sales that he would never put out a hip hop classic if he had the ability to. So he makes me wonder if he is still an hip hop artist or just another Puff Daddy.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »
Nobody is doubting the business tactics of 50 Cent making a 'chick song' so he can sell records.. 

MC Hammer did the same thing, he made lots of tracks for the girls and dancers and he sold lots of records.. Should he be considered a hip hop/rap legend? Should he be next to 2pac and Biggie since he sold a shit load of records?

The point i'm trying to make is that 50 Cent is not selling 11 million records with good hip hop music, he doing it with pop shit.  Candy Shop, Just A Lil Bit are in the same category as "ice ice baby" and "here comes the hammer". lol 50 is so worried about record sales that he would never put out a hip hop classic if he had the ability to. So he makes me wonder if he is still an hip hop artist or just another Puff Daddy.

And the point Im trying to make is that almost every commercial rapper is trying to do the same but fail to do so. Its not like 50 Cent is the only one who dumbed down his 1st singles to appeal to mainstream. Other than Nas, I cant really think of other succesfull commercial rappers that havent made a garbage/ pop 1st single or a track. The differnce between them and lets say 50, Em, Jay is that they sell huge with these joints and others flop. Take Bustas "I Lovwe My Chick" for example. If that would have blown up like Candy Shop did he'd get hated on like crazy too. But he only went gold and everybody quickly forgot about it.

wcsoldier

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »
GRODT sold 11 millions and it was good hip hop music..... I don"t like Candy shop but it's far from being the dumbest track from hip hop history... as Meho said , every rap superstar got at least one pop song... even if I don't feel the majority of 50 music RIGHT NOW... I gotta say the hate towards him is going WAY too far