Author Topic: Young Jeezy gets in Confrontation with Philly DJ about "Hip Hop is Dead"  (Read 1035 times)

WestCoasta

Re: Young Jeezy gets in Confrontation with Philly DJ about "Hip Hop is Dead"
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 08:56:56 PM »
If you took over an existing business and you felt it was doing well and someone comes by and says, "This place sucks now. Fuck this place. It's dead." Will you not question that person as to why? Would that not be a shot at you since you run it? That's all the South is doing. They're not going to let someone just waltz in and proclaim something they're on top of dead. That's ridiculous.

Nas can say it's dead if he wants, just like the South can say they are "#1" whatever the fuck that means

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 11:25:45 PM »
If you took over an existing business and you felt it was doing well and someone comes by and says, "This place sucks now. Fuck this place. It's dead." Will you not question that person as to why? Would that not be a shot at you since you run it? That's all the South is doing. They're not going to let someone just waltz in and proclaim something they're on top of dead. That's ridiculous.

If I knew exactly what I was doing and was confident in my work, this guy would be inconsequential to me.  I'd brush him off.  He's not a threat to me because I understand the intricacies of my business and know that I have a knack for the shit.  He only bothers me if deep down I know he's right.  Then I'm gonna do anything in my power and flip the fuck out before he starts spreading the word to others.

But yo, let me flip your statement - "They're not going to let someone just waltz in and proclaim something they're on top of dead. That's ridiculous."  Nas been around since 91.  He's sees wack rappers waltz in and shamelessly shit on the culture that he grew up in.  Listen to HHID he says that he's on his second wife, that Hip Hop is his first.  He respects Hip Hop and where it came from.  He's an OG in the game.  He sees whats going on in the game right now and he knows it's not right.  So he has every right to call a spade a spade. 

So its OK for cats that been in the game for a year to catch feelings about Nas statement, but it's not ok for Nas who's been in the game for 15 plus not catch feelings on some bullshit?  Get the fuck outta here.  Nas is from Queens - Hip Hop didn't start there, but that burough turned out more legends than anywhere else.  It's in his blood.  I'll take his opinion over Jeezy's anyday.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 12:07:14 AM »

If I knew exactly what I was doing and was confident in my work, this guy would be inconsequential to me.  I'd brush him off.  He's not a threat to me because I understand the intricacies of my business and know that I have a knack for the shit.  He only bothers me if deep down I know he's right.  Then I'm gonna do anything in my power and flip the fuck out before he starts spreading the word to others.

Thing is.....you would brush him off if he was a complete nobody, such as say, MC Two Time.....but this is Nas, which is damn near like Emeril or Wolfgang Puck being the one to come in there saying it....and you know that he used to love coming to your restaurant. Even if the business is doing good, it will still hit you...ESPECIALLY because Emeril "went on TV" saying that the restaurant isn't as good as it used to be, which will easily influence many of his fans....but MC Two Time couldn't do the same...most he could do is tell his family members that it fell off.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:11:08 AM by R-Tistic »

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 12:10:08 AM »
Also....this whole situation to me is almost the same as if Jordan or Magic were to say "The NBA is dead"....of course Lebron, Wade, Kobe would take offense to that statement, and may even say "well y'all both came back and didn't do shit like you did when you were in your prime". I can't say the statement is a direct, blatant statement to the south...but as SGV said, it's like saying "Hip Hop is dead now that you guys are on top."

SGV

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 04:43:05 AM »
Shouts to R Tistic for breaking it down.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 06:00:37 AM »
Also....this whole situation to me is almost the same as if Jordan or Magic were to say "The NBA is dead"....of course Lebron, Wade, Kobe would take offense to that statement, and may even say "well y'all both came back and didn't do shit like you did when you were in your prime". I can't say the statement is a direct, blatant statement to the south...but as SGV said, it's like saying "Hip Hop is dead now that you guys are on top."

But the real question is, is hiphop dead or not?

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 10:39:26 AM »

Thing is.....you would brush him off if he was a complete nobody, such as say, MC Two Time.....but this is Nas, which is damn near like Emeril or Wolfgang Puck being the one to come in there saying it....and you know that he used to love coming to your restaurant. Even if the business is doing good, it will still hit you...ESPECIALLY because Emeril "went on TV" saying that the restaurant isn't as good as it used to be, which will easily influence many of his fans....but MC Two Time couldn't do the same...most he could do is tell his family members that it fell off.

But SGV's analogy doesn't really apply to what's going on here.

A better parallel would be this:

Now, I have a business degree - not a culinary arts degree.  But I have my restaraunt and all the sudden I think i'm qualified to tell a chef how to cook?  I know how to be profitable cuz I understand marketing and alternate ways of making money.  My restaraunt is popular not cuz of the food, but cuz I have the most beautiful building, the best location, I sell cool t-shirts / hats with restaraunts name on them, and I also have several bars in the joint that everybody comes to hang out at at night.  I know how to make bank at a restaraunt without worrying about quality food.  I figured it out.  I'm a hustler.  Now all these other business majors that I graduated with see my blueprint, and copy it down to the T.  And guess what?  They're banking like a motherfucker too.  What a great business model.  And the beauty of it is that the average customer isn't much of a food critic.  They're so distracted by the atmosphere and how popular it is they that it never even occurs to them that my food is crap.

So Emeril, who's a world renound and highly respected chef comes to my town and says "This is killing the culinary arts, it's not about the food / chefs, it's about everything else".  Now nowhere in here did he say there's no good chefs in my town, but he's seeing a trend that is destroying what he loves and a culture that he grew up in.  So me and all the other restaraunteurs in my town are buggin the fuck out because this man is calling us out.  We know our food isn't quality.  It's like number 10 on our list of priorities.  But we don't want our customers to know that, because as soon as they realize what's going on there's a good chance they'll go somewhere else. 

SGV

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 05:49:26 AM »
^But see that's NOT what the South is thinking. The South thinks what they're putting out is great. That's why they continue to drop it. Hence why my analogy is fine.

They're running a business that was existing and they feel they're doing well.

But now you have people voicing their opinion that the business, in which the South is running, is dead.

They're not going to stand around and say "Well gee golly gosh! Let's just let Nas, Kay Slay, Erick Sermon and anyone else who wants to shit on Hip Hop (or us) while we're on top." What kind of leader would do that? Don't play yourself Jrome...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 06:11:45 AM »
Hip-Hop died on March 9th, when Biggie was shot. After 1997, the East and Jay-Z was hot, and many claimed Hip-Hop was dead then. It's not a regional thing, it never was. It's the fact that artist from all coast, sold their soul for sales and fame. Pre-'97, it was easy to keep Hip-Hop alive. Death Row, Bad Boy, Def Jam, Ruthless, Priority, No Limit, Cash Money, Loud, Jive, Tommy Boy, they were all independent labels that allowed artist to be free, and allowed them to express themselves. Even Time Warner was going to go to bat for Ice T and Cop Killer. (even though that's a rock song, same thing applies) In the late 90's, labels megered, larger labels like Sony and Universal bought many independent labels, and they basically bought Hip-Hop. It was then that Hip-Hop gained a price tag, Artist no longer had freedom, if an artist wanted to go a certain style, it had to be radio friendly. The South is actually helping Hip-Hop by promoting more independent labels, as is the Bay area. LA and NY are struggling right now to produce a buzz, Nas and Game are the only artist I care about from the other coast. I may not be a south fan, but I respect the hustle. They are doing what they do, though I will admit, this year has had the worst radio songs of any year I've every listen to rap music. But I digress. You have to respect the hustle, the south is doing it. But in the end, HIP-HOP IS DEAD. There are no break dancers in videos anymore, there isn't graffiti, the elements have branched off rap music. Hip-Hop is dead, long live rap music, for it was rap music that the large labels bought, and now the elements are left in the cold well Rap Music is making white people millions, and the artist are happy with some bling and a new car. That's Hip-Hop's death. Period.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:42 PM »
^But see that's NOT what the South is thinking. The South thinks what they're putting out is great. That's why they continue to drop it. Hence why my analogy is fine.

They're running a business that was existing and they feel they're doing well.

But now you have people voicing their opinion that the business, in which the South is running, is dead.

They're not going to stand around and say "Well gee golly gosh! Let's just let Nas, Kay Slay, Erick Sermon and anyone else who wants to shit on Hip Hop (or us) while we're on top." What kind of leader would do that? Don't play yourself Jrome...

Nah, your analogy only works if Nas says "The South Killed Hip Hop".  If he says that, then yes they have every right to defend themselves.  And it would be a fucking retarded statement for Nas to make if he said that.  BUT HE NEVER SAID THAT.  He's explained his meaning, but of course that's not nearly as interesting as him dissing an entire region of the US, so of course that's gonna be hyped by the media.  Ironically, the media is who he named as one of the biggest culprits of killing the game, and here they are twisting his words and fueling the fire.  Why do you think he's got the line "roll to every station, murder the dj"?

His 3rd verse illustrates his frustrations, mainly commercialization of the art:

Everybody sound the same, commercialize the game
Reminiscin' when it wasn't all business
they forgot where it started
So we all gather here for the dearly departed
Hip hopper since a toddler
One homeboy became a man then a mobster
If it dies let me get my last swig of Vodka
R.I.P., we'll donate your lungs to a rasta
Went from turntables to mp3s
From "Beat Street" to commercials on Mickey D's
From gold cables to Jacobs
From plain facials to Botox and face lifts

Why isn't the south mad at Andre 3000 since it was his concept that Nas ran with?  Why aren't they ready to body Killer Mike for writing the song "Rap is Dead"?   Southern rappers who get on the air and start dissing Nas and catching feelings are only doing it to get some exposure.  That or they feel guilty.  It's not fuckin rocket science.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 08:21:40 PM »
Death Row, Bad Boy, Def Jam, Ruthless, Priority, No Limit, Cash Money, Loud, Jive, Tommy Boy, they were all independent labels that allowed artist to be free, and allowed them to express themselves. Even Time Warner was going to go to bat for Ice T and Cop Killer. (even though that's a rock song, same thing applies) In the late 90's, labels megered, larger labels like Sony and Universal bought many independent labels, and they basically bought Hip-Hop.

The label consolidation is a big factor affecting the quality of the music, I agree with that.

Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

SGV

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 10:55:43 PM »
What you fail to realize is that Nas didn't make a statement about what his album meant. It wasn't until he found out how pissed the South was at him that he stated what it was about.

Andre never really vocalized the Hip Hop is dead concept, especially like Nas is doing. Killer Mike made that song 3 years ago. It has nothing to do with this convo because the South was on top like it is now. So keep reaching.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 11:05:53 PM »
whats so hard to understand, HIPHOP aint Dead it lives in the SOUTH!!!

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »
What you fail to realize is that Nas didn't make a statement about what his album meant. It wasn't until he found out how pissed the South was at him that he stated what it was about.

Andre never really vocalized the Hip Hop is dead concept, especially like Nas is doing. Killer Mike made that song 3 years ago. It has nothing to do with this convo because the South was on top like it is now. So keep reaching.

I fail to realize that he didn't make a statement about what his album meant?  Are you fucking retarded?  And I'm not being an asshole, I'm straight up asking if you're retarded.  He's clarified it numerous interviews and his songs.  Give me ONE EXAMPLE OF NAS SAYING THE SOUTH KILLED HIP HOP.  Just one.  You can't do it.  All you can do is feed into the hype because you're not capable of independant thought.  You hear other ignorant ass motherfuckers crying that Nas dissed the South and you join right in completely ignoring all of the evidence to the contrary. 

When would it have been accetable for Nas to clarify his album title?  The shit's not even out yet.  It's not his fault that all these dumb ass niggas get it twisted. 

Andre didn't vocalize it??  He's all but given up rapping - that's more than Nas is doing.  Actions speak louder than words.  Go check his interviews - he's says he not inspired by all these weak ass bitin ass motherfuckers in the game.    And Killer Mike made that song in 03 when Lil Jon was the crowned fuckin Don of the South, so there goes that arguement.

Get the fuck outta here..."quit reaching".  You're the one turning shit into something it's not. 

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »
i have to give major props to jrome for his argument here. took the words ouit of my mouth

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09