Author Topic: Discussion: How much does Snoop owe Master P?  (Read 2240 times)

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Discussion: How much does Snoop owe Master P?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »
I really think that Snoop saved No Limit. I mean, he is the last artist to go platinum since No Limit bankrupted.

Also, he sold what took 3-5 no limits artists to sell. it's expensive to have 20 artists on your label, 10 producers and for them to sometimes ship Gold.. And for Snoop to come in with limited production and hit platinum each time, it must have been nice for P.

But P kinda stunted Snoop. He had a bunch of diss tracks against Suge Knight that P didn't let him release. Like that song Gangsta Ride featuring Daz.. P made him re-record the song without any disses, take off Daz and add Silk Da Shocker.

xover

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 01:59:30 PM »
I think P just bought out the rest of Snoop's contract. I know Suge was saying something like the next 4 or 5 albums we would be making money off of it but that came out to be not true.
pretty sure it was true.he got about big $$ plus money from snoops next albums...

Narrator

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 02:15:25 PM »
P did not help Snoop get back on top again, at least not by himself.  Yeah, you could argue No Limit was huge at the time and so Snoop being on the label meant he was guaranteed to move units.  But that would have just meant he'd have fizzled out by the time No Limit started losing popularity (around 2001) if that were the only thing driving his career.  What Snoop really needed the most was to be respected again after he dropped "Tha Doggfather" (an album which most people back then agree sucked), and "Da Game Is To Be Sold" was another step in the wrong direction.

What helped Snoop get his career back in gear the most was (1.) Re-aligning himself with Dre (first on "Top Dogg", then on "2001"), and (2.) Taking the Jay-Z route and getting his name out there even more so that he became a cult personality in addition to a rap star.  If he hadn't done that, he would've been just another No Limit soldier releasing another album that sounded just like the rest of theirs, and that wouldn't have helped his career at all in the long run.

So what really happened is that Snoop helped himself, not because of being on No Limit, but in spite of that.

$Eg2$

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »
^^ The dogfather was no doggystyle but the album had plenty of good cuts on the album so the fact that you said it sucked makes your whole opinion worthless 2 me Snoop and Master P were both good for each other Master P helped him get off a sinkin death row ship otherwise your hero Snoop would of been STRANDED ON DEATH ROW. and LOL @ d nice thinkin Suge got nothing outta the deal Suge made with Master P. The only way suge didnt make money off him was if Snoop was a free agent we all know he wasent so there it is.

Eg2

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 02:25:13 PM »
^

What the guy before you said was not this: Tha Doggfather is an album that sucks!

What he said was: At the time Tha Doggfather was released,people listened to it while expecting another Doggystyle, they were disappointed and then they said it sucked

The difference is that the first implies a firm opinion by the person who said it, while the second one is neutral and places Tha Doggfather ,and its reception, in the spirit of its time.

Now rewrite your post.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »
I think it was a good decision to sign at NL, because it was a big label and it was a label where Snoop still had the image of a true gangster, cause NL was one of the most gangsta sounding major labels out there to this time. "Da Game..." isn't Snoop's best, everyone knows, but I think it's a str8 gangsta record and a Snoop record which is str8 gangsta is enough for me. there were many tight songs on it, even though there were too much NL soldiers and less of his regular westcoast homies, that you knew from the older releases and I think that was one point that made this album a bit more worst than it could have been.
Master P is a business man and I think he helped Snoop in selling record but still being a gangsta. It would be nice if they would do a track together, remembering the good old days. a track called "Still Hustlin, Still Ballin" or something haha.  8) I wonder why he never get a collabo with any NL soldier since these days again, cause they had great rappers like Silkk (who has two classic albums) or Mystikal (Who has a classic album too)... It seemed to me like they used Snoop just for the business and that they never were real homies. But then I saw P on a Doggy Fizzle Televizzle epsiode and I thought, shit, they still talk to each other. But since then I think 4 years are past and there's still no collabo track. I don't believe that there will come one again...  :(
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006, 03:35:59 PM »
I think it was a good decision to sign at NL, because it was a big label and it was a label where Snoop still had the image of a true gangster, cause NL was one of the most gangsta sounding major labels out there to this time. "Da Game..." isn't Snoop's best, everyone knows, but I think it's a str8 gangsta record and a Snoop record which is str8 gangsta is enough for me. there were many tight songs on it, even though there were too much NL soldiers and less of his regular westcoast homies, that you knew from the older releases and I think that was one point that made this album a bit more worst than it could have been.
Master P is a business man and I think he helped Snoop in selling record but still being a gangsta. It would be nice if they would do a track together, remembering the good old days. a track called "Still Hustlin, Still Ballin" or something haha.  8) I wonder why he never get a collabo with any NL soldier since these days again, cause they had great rappers like Silkk (who has two classic albums) or Mystikal (Who has a classic album too)... It seemed to me like they used Snoop just for the business and that they never were real homies. But then I saw P on a Doggy Fizzle Televizzle epsiode and I thought, shit, they still talk to each other. But since then I think 4 years are past and there's still no collabo track. I don't believe that there will come one again...  :(

i havent seen master p on many tracks in the last 4 years..

SoCal Iz Active

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »
im sorry but did someone just say that silkk tha shocker was a good rapper? LOL

Narrator

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »
^^ The dogfather was no doggystyle but the album had plenty of good cuts on the album so the fact that you said it sucked makes your whole opinion worthless 2 me

Like Z The Laidback Virus said, that's ain't MY opinion; it's what everyone else thought.  Personally, I'm OK "Tha Doggfather" but it's definitely not as good as some of his later albums and it was most def disappointing when I first heard it.  So read more closely next time, Mr. Ja Rule fanboy.

We Fly High

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 08:37:07 PM »
Master P made his mark in hip hop history already, and it would take more than Snoop appearing on a few songs with him to ressurect his career.

And i believe the last public shoutout Snoop made to P was on the Life and Rhymes MTV special which was just aired in the recent months.

Efrain

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »
I think Master P’s responsible for helping and hurting Snoops career. On one hand he helped by making it possible for Snoop to release music and be safe doing so. On the other hand though, it was being on No Limit that taught Snoop how to be sloppy. That retarded company was more like a factory than a music label. Every Source magazine had between 5 and 10 adds for individual No Limit releases all coming out that month. Their artists would record half a dozen CD’s a year then everyone would go and do collaboration albums with one another. The quality level was so blatantly and unbelievably poor it was insulting.

I think that’s where Snoop learned there is no sense in writing/re-writing raps, taking your time and keeping things fresh when he could just phone things in and everything gets released regardless of quality.

No Limit was also responsible for teaching Snoop the worst thing he ever learned which was how to market himself. It was Master P that taught Snoop about clothing lines, rap catch phrases, dolls, lunchboxes and other ridiculous Mc Hammer-easy money-sell-your-image schemes that in the long run hurt his image more than anything.

I’m sure Snoop eventually got wind of how people were receiving his new image and decided to distance himself, physically and creatively, from Master P and No Limit. I think most people would agree of all his music phases the No Limit tenure produced his least popular music.   

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »
I think Master P helped Snoop Dogg on alot of stuff, Of course musically it wasnt that great cuz like that other person said, No Limit was always pushing albums, and if i remember Snoops album was done in 3 weeks and they already had an album cover for the next album (top dogg) in the booklet, Business wise One of the good things master P did was letting Snoop starting his own label while he was still signed to him..I wonder what would happened if he Signed to Hoo Bangin instead of No Limit