Author Topic: Did Jay-z buy his own albums to boost record sales?  (Read 707 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Did Jay-z buy his own albums to boost record sales?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »
^ I agree
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

WestCoasta

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 04:37:36 PM »
the only good thing about the album were some of the beats, I liked "30 Something" okay

he's just talkin about nothing tho

lots of rappers talk about nothin but the fact that you'd expect him to say some shit and you get an annoying ass voice, it doesn't help

to answer Detox, why people are trashing him, it's because the so called Best Rapper shouldn't come out with somethin like this, let alone after he retired, he's not Too Short

THETRUTHUG

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »
ROFL at some of these comments. I see Kingdom Come is gonna get "Massacred".

So these days track like "Oh My God, Kngdom Come, Lost Ones, Do U Wanna Ride, 30 Somethin, I Made It, Trouble, Dig A Hole, Minority Report and Beach Chair" are considered wack ? Ha ha, thats just too funny. Laffy Taffy is wack this is not.

I mean what did you expect a Resonable Doubt or Illmatic.

I'd even say "ok, its not their type of music" but you guys listen to DPG, Snoop, Game, Nas, Lil Wayne, Dipset....

tru tru

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »

My main gripe with the album, is that it seems like no effort has been put in at all he sounds like he is breezing through the tracks, he doesnt sound hungry, the lyrics are less than inspiring apart from beacj chair and worst of all what should was shaping up to be potentially new ground in minority report turns into a major anti climax. That track could have been so powerful and yet when you listen to the lyrics he isn't saying anything, this has been called "grown man music" I would suggest it's just downright boring on the whole. So if he did buy his own albums, an accusation which he has faced before, then it's no surprise as far as I concerned, as most people are going to feel really let down by this album. I am not someone who dislikes Jay-z. i have all of his albums besides the black album but would not add this one to the collection, even if i could pick this up at bargain basement prices.

Chief

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »

So these days track like "Oh My God, Kngdom Come, Lost Ones, Do U Wanna Ride, 30 Somethin, I Made It, Trouble, Dig A Hole, Minority Report and Beach Chair" are considered wack ? Ha ha, thats just too funny. Laffy Taffy is wack this is not.

I'd even say "ok, its not their type of music" but you guys listen to DPG, Snoop, Game, Nas, Lil Wayne, Dipset....
You are in denial.

Whatever, this forum is too funny. For some artists expectations are so low that even if they release pure crap they'll love it but some artists have to make 5/5 albums every time they drop.

but you have to understand that the greats are always expected to be great. Hova is a legend and a great..  He is the god of his label and had the ability to conjure up all the talents to put out the best album ever.He has no reason to come from retirement to put out a medicore album.. I personally think its an ok album. However, when i read all these stories about how much he put into marketing, who actually produced/mixed the album, and how he acts too royal to talk about certain rappers/situations it makes me think this album is an underacheiver..

Jay-Z reminds me of the USA Basketball Team that gets a bronze medal with all that talent they got on their team.. kinda disappointing.

1. Even your best friend 50 cent commented on this album not doing as well as it should have.

2. I'm pretty sure you would be pissed if Dr Dre came out with an album with the same quality of Kingdom Come.

you cant compare detox to anything jay-z releases. jigga releases an album every year, detox once every 7.

Sikotic™

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 10:02:12 PM »

You are in denial.

Whatever, this forum is too funny. For some artists expectations are so low that even if they release pure crap they'll love it but some artists have to make 5/5 albums every time they drop.
So now you're making excuses for him. You know and I know that he didn't put his heart into the record. It's mediocre. He pulled an Eminem: put out a weak album because anything with his name on it will at least push double platinum.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 02:22:38 AM »
Fuck, there were some good beats on this album, well 3 actually: Show Me What You Got, 30 Something, & Trouble but the lyrics were above average at best.

No wonder his 2nd week sales were so low; people actually heard the album and realised Jigga can do better.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 03:08:33 AM »
Guys, my main problem was when some people called it "pure wack shit". I agree that Jay didnt sound as hungry as he did on Black Album but the album is still one of the best to come out this year. At least he had no filler tracks, other than that Beyonce joint.

And the replav value of this album is better than most LPs out these days. I bumped him, Game and Snoop for the past few weeks, Jays is the only one that still sounds fresh.

Once again my main problem was with calling it wack shit. I understand if you dont like the album and expected better. D4L is wack shit. This aint.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 03:33:24 AM »

Agreed. The album is dope, people need to quit hatin.
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

red

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Guys, my main problem was when some people called it "pure wack shit". I agree that Jay didnt sound as hungry as he did on Black Album but the album is still one of the best to come out this year. At least he had no filler tracks, other than that Beyonce joint.

And the replav value of this album is better than most LPs out these days. I bumped him, Game and Snoop for the past few weeks, Jays is the only one that still sounds fresh.

Once again my main problem was with calling it wack shit. I understand if you dont like the album and expected better. D4L is wack shit. This aint.
I will in no way, shape, or form call Kingdom Come pure wack shit but it's something definately missing with this album.  I can listen to it straight throught without skipping any tracks except the Usher & Beyonce joints but I don't find myself reaching for THIS album like I would his others (except The Black Album).  The repeat value is "PURE WACK SHIT" unlike Game's DA, which gets me going in the morning, noon, & night.  Lyric for lyric, Jay probably does shit on Game but as Jay has said in the past niggas lack the charisma.  On this CD, Jay happens to be that nigga.

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 05:07:17 PM »
plain and simple, this is not an album worth coming out of retirement to make.

this would be a great Kurupt album... but for Jay-Z, the self-acclaimed "Hova".. this isn't as great. Like i said before, great people are expected to do great things..