Author Topic: busta rhymes.....The Big Bang  (Read 1231 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
busta rhymes.....The Big Bang
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:24:03 PM »
yo what up y'all, my review, no real big introduction really needed, just basically this is the conclusion of waiting 3 years for busta and dre to hook up and mash out something together that will get released off aftermath

get you some.........the beat is crazy, the beat is on some real nice melodic shit but souds strong, not like a soft beat, it hits hard, on some gangsta shit............busta come nice, kinda just setting up the big bang with a intro joint which also has marsha on it, she comes nice but in my opinion, i think q-tip sounds sick over this beat......but then they all come nice and dre uses all his tricks to make this mo sick than a muhfucka...5/5

touch it ..........people kinda had mixed feelings about this joint, i think it was great, cats ears are all use to hearing the same generic first single these days so dont know how to react when something different hits them...(snoop-drop it like its hot).....but truth is, this beat is crisp, busta comes rela creative, a catalyst for a bunch of remixs and shit, sick joint.....4.25/5

how we do over here .....this is catchier than a hofucker......i think the beat is sick and even though people be complaing about missy spitting the same shit again, i think thats the real reason dre and busta chose to have on her album, because of what she brings......she comes off real dope on this, so does busta......i think this is would have been an ideal followup to touch it....4.25/5

new york shit.......nice joint, i think its a grower, it is not amazing like some poeple have said but its a hiphop new york anthem, will make alot of cats happy...4/5

been through the storm......when i heard people speakin like this joint is crazy and so on i already had a picture of what this joint would sound like, ofcourse when i finally heard the joint, sounded nothing like i expected, still a great track, wonder and busta, a nice combo! i think it is over hyped however, busta came real nice also and the beat has a nice midnight hour feeling to it when you aint in a club 4.5/5

in the ghetto.......real catchy, how can u hate on ya boy rik james bitch! busta plays backup on this, nice apprecation!...4/5

cocaina....beat is garbage, busta carries this joint.......dre dissapoints......3.75/5........thats just for busta....

you cant hold the torch....qtip and busta taking on the subject of how old school cats are still the real leaders of hiphop......claiming noone really dope enough has come into the game to take the crown off them and that the game is not the same..........some truth to that, though.......you really think these niggaz would just pass on the crown without a fight if someone really was good enough to take the mantle..nigga pleez.........4/5

goldmine.......raekwon kills this! beat is aight, nuttin amazing.......but finally someone stands next to busta and comes like it aint nuttin on this album...lyrical fest.....4/5

i love my bitch....kinda catchy but the hook is kinda annoying and catchy.......it drags.......to easy for busta considering the form he be showing on this album and this joint proves it....3/5

dont get carried away.......dre produced and nas and busta comes through on a dark high-ish tempo dre beat.....busta kinda kills this, nas lyrically is impressive but im not impressed with his flow on this, imma huge nas fan but i hope he steps up on a whole for his own lp.......dre produces a nice beat, the beat is crazy on the hook but on during the verses it is not that great......4.5/5

they out to get me.......mr porter from d12 comes with the beat for this.....and hook......and its a skip joint....again busta great lyrical form on this album waisted on a lacklustre beat......3/5.....only for busta

get down......timbaland comes with a wackass beat, busta keeps you listening.....more listenable then the mr porter joint but still a skip track....3/5

i'll do it all........jelly roll productions!!! beat is nice, creative, i think with some work and direction this could have been a great joint but truth is that it is not.....busta its a step up from the last two....3.5/5

legends of the fall offs........dre comes kinda experimental on the beat with a shovel digging into sand which can sound annoying at first....but the beat and hook is raw yet real clean, sick shit......but busta stole the show mang.....lyrically he kills this shit.....4.75/5

positives...

dre has alot of production or 'additional production credits' on this album.....the actual dre produced tracks are some of the finest.......its very visible to see dres influence on the album in a sense of direction in keeping it dark......

busta in my opinion is the first person on aftermath who outshone the production on aftermath to date...for the first time i can say that it wasnt the production that carried alot of the album that came out on aftermath but the mc....and thats not a negative to the production, the production is nice, great at times...but alot of joints have that same mellow vibe to it....and sometimes busta is rippin joints and im left thinkin, damn, they should have gave this nigga a real busta beat to mash lyrics like that to.....or atleast something a lil mo inspired.....

negatives.....

some aspects of what made busta have been left out on this.....where the crazy energy track at?

theres a dark vibe to the whole album, which is kool since it follows a concept but some of tracks come off through with the same sound...its kool to have dark joints, but i think the production on some of the other producers work was not very good.......

dres additional production credits........its nice to see dre working on making sure the other cats get their shit just right.....but apart from his work on been through the storm, the beats are not great

dre was sick on his own beats.......could have been a few more......imo production at times lets busta down.....

overall........

i think the album is very good.....early contender for album of the year no doubt......however i think busta should be given his props for this effort.......i appreciate dre gave him his space to do his own shit but i think this album is about busta.....not dre...lyrically its his best in my opinion from top to bottom.....atleast since his first......

lyrics.....4.5/5

production....4/5

but overall as a package, content....direction and so on.....

this album gets a 4.25/5

worth the wait....not 3 and a half years but non the less a sick album.....more lyrical than most mainstream albums coming out these days.......i suggest you cop it......anything that is a 4 mic or above album in todays hiphop is a find......go cop that shit nigga!

pz!

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Re: busta rhymes.....The Big Bang
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »
some aspects of what made busta have been left out on this.....where the crazy energy track at?

I was thinking the same thing when I first went thru the whole album.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
I agree with Touch It and Ny Shit. Those 2 grew on me a lot, same goes for Get Down. The only thing I disagree is with Cocaine and Ill Do It All. I love the beat on Cocaine, has that eastcoast feel to it. On the other hand the Jelly Roll production is wack.

Props for the review, its a great album no doubt.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:14:33 AM by Detox is not not coming... »

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »
Tight review, man. I definitely agree that "Get You Some" is a sick, sick joint.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:10:26 PM »
props!

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 07:41:43 AM »
Might get this now, :)

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »
I thought Nas was flawless in his verse

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »
I like your review but I would rate Cocaina higher at least 4/5 or 4.5/5 that beat bangs!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »
Props on the review, i actualy remember reading somwhee that he wanted to show anoher side of himself . They always wanted him to do that crazy energy track but once he got aftermath they gave him more liberty and this is what he wanted to do.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
01. Get You Some feat. Marsha & Q-Tip 5/5
Just wow. Busta murdered it, Dre killed it with the amazing produciton (best since Outta Control remix). The piano, the drums and the magic violins in the chours; doesnt get better than this. Tip and Marsha add their special touch. A great intro track that makes you think positive about the tracks ahead of you. This was apparantley meant to be the first track on Detox but Dre decided to give it to Busta the last minute. If this is the sound  of Detox than I will be very happy. Classic number 1.

02. Touch It 4/5
Not really a fan of Swizzy but I guess he gave Busta a creative beat. The track itself is very original, with Busta switching  the fast paced and the laid back flow. The track bangs hard in a good system but doesnt have a high replay value for me.

03. How We Do It Over Here feat. Missy Elliot 4/5
Another head nodder from Dre. The track itself sounds like Candy Shop part 2, from the beat, to Busta's seductive flow. Dope track but Dre and Busta could've created a better club joint.

04. Been Thorugh The Storm feat. Stevie Wonder 5/5
When I first heard this I was speachless. The best track in years IMO. The very talented Sha Money XL provided a very dark but that orchestra, movie sounding beat. Of course Dre added his co-production fly shit, to make this track epic. Great story tellling from Busta and Stevie Wonder sounds amazing on the chours. Classic number 2.

05. New York Shit feat. Swizz Beatz
4/5
The legendary DJ Scratch provides a dope, eastcoast sounding beat but it gets repetitive after a while. Busta drops a NY anthem, with Swizzy actually not fucking up the track with his hype talk. Cool joint.

06. In The Ghetto feat. Rick James
4,5/5
Another different, creative track from Busta. Rick James sounds like fly as a pimp on the chours as always, Busta again proves his lyrical skills. The beat is the only thing thats bothering me a lil bit, gets annyoing after a while.

07. Cocaina feat. Marsha
5/5
Another killer Dre/ Busta combo. Dre drops a really eastcoast sounding beat that fits Busta perfectly. Busta rips the track, Marsha adds her thing in the chours and the bridge. Love the beat breakdown in the 2nd verse. Classic number 3.

08. You Cant Hold The Torch feat. Q-Tip 5/5
Fuck, this album is dope so far. Another out of the box track, with Tip and Busta going back and forth about the state of the rap game, making even more sense these days. Both rapping about their love for the rap game and expresing their frustarsions about all the wack ass rappers. Great topic. Classic number 4.

09. Goldmine feat. Raekwon 5/5
And it dont stop. With Eric Sermon and Dre behind the boards this is an instant classic. Rae and Busta kill it, the chours is dope as fuck too. Classic number 5.

10. I Love My Bitch feat. Will.I.Am & Kelis
3/5
Blah, fucking Interscope part 1. Busta sounds very forced on this track, which shows in the product itself. Will.I.Am actually dropped a funky beat but thats about it.

11. Dont Get Carrie Away feat. Nas 5/5
Doctor! Beat is bananas and the orchestra voice in the chours is AMAZING. Sounds like something 50 would pick.Nassir and Busta simply kill it. Classic number 6.

12. Theyre Out To Get Me
4/5
Very lyrical joint but its Mr. Porter that kinda fuck this track up from getting a better review. The beat and the chours are a lil bit annoying. But simply because Busta once again wilds out, it makes it a nice joint.

13. Get Down 3/5
Hmm, wtf is this Timbaland ? The unlucky probably got the only wack production from the reborn Timbo in the last 2 years. Wierd ass track, guess its creative but Buss and Tim shouldve kept it for themselves  :P. Out of place joint number 2.

14. I'll Do It All 3/5
Fucking Interscope part 2. Track aint that bad, got a nice vibe to it. Out of place joint number 3.

15. Legend Of The Falls Off 4,5/5
Another out of the box joint. Dre drops a very creative beat but it couldve been done better. Again dope storytelling from Busta but the end result is a dope track, when I think those 2 were aiming for another classic joint.

So, was the 3 years wait worth it ? IMO yes. Its the closest thing to a calssic on a mainstream label, since GRODT. Busta really showed a more serious, lyrical side to him, which some say its a bad thing but I love it. Dre definetly brought his best touch since GRODT, not to mention that he mixed the shit out of whole LP.

The album was very well put togehter except for those 3 out of place tracks, which dont suck or anything, but canceling those 3 and adding Imagine OG, Money and Love It Or Hate It, would make this a classic cd. Its a shame.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:38:33 AM by Timbo the king »

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 11:20:56 PM »
! year later i still oove this record to the fullest, ny shit is my jam!!

HEC

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »
4/5 at the very least probably closer to a 4.25/5, very good review

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »
4/5 at the very least probably closer to a 4.25/5, very good review

^^^^HEC was in a good mood when he wrote this  ;D
i'm sure if he rated each track seperately, then he wouldn't come up with 4/5 or 4.25/5  :D