Author Topic: Concerning: "HHID because of the South". [Article of mine]  (Read 104 times)

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
Concerning: "HHID because of the South". [Article of mine]
« on: January 01, 2007, 02:19:47 PM »
longish read, it'd mean a lot if I got some feed on this however.  ;D

Concerning Nas
Now, do I personally have a problem with NaS? no, hell I agree with HIS opinion on why Hiphop is at a vulnerable point. "Go to every station and murder the DJ's" sums everything up well, but thats another 4108 article. (But note the 'exaggerated title' that IS a marketing scheme) Only thing I hate is when people twist and put words in Nas' mouth directed at my region. So likewise I get offended and write shit like this. -- And before you say everyone down here is getting offended over it, its merely just Luda, Jeezy helping promote Nas. Notice they are all on the same damn label/distributor, Def Jam.

Basically,
Blues, Rock, Funk, Country, Jazz, Soul, all of those music genres have birthplace in the south. Without us, sampling is close to nonexistent. Because like primary colors and secondary colors those genres help boost and kick off a lot of other genres like fusions and techno (funk+blues? sometimes funk+rock, etc). Believe it or not, Funk was a seperate genre before it was adopted as a westcoast regional sound. Parliament, lakeside, all thats southern shit. Heres my take on it. If NY is WHERE it started, I credit the south as "HOW" it happened/started. Theres more angles to this 'birth of hiphop' theory than just New York. I know IT STARTED in NY, thats history, I cant change that, but i know its silly to give them 100% credit when I know there are outside influences that all contributed in HH's birth. So to give one person 100% credit is onesided and unknowledgeable. As no "ONE" created shit, just laced origins.

James Brown
James Brown, (who has done more for hiphop than you can possibly imagine!) is a southern artist. James brown laid the foundation for rap. Near the end of "The Funky Drummer" there is drum solo that inspired not only the first rap song, but a shitload of others since Brown is, "the most sampled artist in hiphop" period. I should probably write more about James Brown, his impact is huge like that, but that above is summarizaton enough.