Author Topic: The Classic Albums so far since 2000  (Read 906 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
The Classic Albums so far since 2000
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:30:46 AM »
Hip-Hop had a string of classics between 1986-1996, the last being Makaveli. I will not count Life After Death as a classic because it was more like a respect 5 mics. From 1996-2000, only 2 classics, Outkast and Dr.Dre 2001. Since then, I will say that Hip-Hop has improved greatly since the deaths of Biggie and 'Pac. BUT, 2006 was the worst year COMMERCIALLY I've ever heard. But this year has giving me time to reflect on other years, and what have been classic albums since 2000. What albums have stand the test of time, and are still in rotation in many people's iPods, and that have changed Hip-Hop for the better.

Jay-Z - Blueprint; if for nothing else, that the production. Just Blaze and Kanye produced one hellva an album. One of the best produced albums since Dre's 2001, and Jay-Z puts his heart and soul into this album to make sure the lyrical content is close to production. Jay-Z's peak.

Nas - Stillmatic; I think so far this decade, this album is the best. There is no question that it's stand the test of time. When it first came out, people were saying that it was a give me 5 mics, that this album was not a classic. Truth is, this album is the defination of classic. Political, battling, storytelling, the worst song being taken off... lol. This album is the best album so far.

Kanye West - College Dropout; Kanye producted a classic. No questions asked, this changed the game of Hip-Hop, brought back that classic sampling sound, he updated it, and ran with it. Kanye's lyrics were surprising, in that the boy can spit fire, and people fear not giving him classic status (though this was his only classic, forget what XXL tells you). If Hip-Hop is Dead, Kanye didn't kill it.

Not quite there, but great albums:

Common - Go; some called it a classic, including myself. But honestly, it's a really nice piece of work that was enjoyable, but not a classic. Though it is a refreshing reminder on how Hip-Hop is suppose to be.

The Game - Doctor's Advocate; the jury is still out, but it hasn't left my CD player in my car since the day I bought it (the day it came out). Doctumentary was a good CD, but no where close to classic like some said, DA is WAY better, better beats (even without Dre) better lyrics, and better content. I think I was just hoping for one last G-Unit diss, an actual entertaining song that will stand out as a classic battle record.

So we'll see. But so far, in the last 6 years, 3 classic albums, not bad. Can Hip-Hop rise again, we'll see.

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Classic Albums so far since 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:33:50 AM »
Personally I wud hav 2 add Get Rich Or Die Tryin and The Black Album 2 that list, both were classic albums. Still spin both regularly!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »
Nice post, +1
NO MORE WAR

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »
Personally I wud hav 2 add Get Rich Or Die Tryin and The Black Album 2 that list, both were classic albums. Still spin both regularly!

I should have added them to almost, but not classics.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »
Common - Go; some called it a classic, including myself. But honestly, it's a really nice piece of work that was enjoyable, but not a classic. Though it is a refreshing reminder on how Hip-Hop is suppose to be.

It's called BE

But imo "Electric Circus" and "Like Water For Chocolate" > "BE"
"Electric Circus" and "Like Water For Chocolate" are both classic.. I dont think "BE" is

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 09:47:22 AM »

It's called BE

But imo "Electric Circus" and "Like Water For Chocolate" > "BE"
"Electric Circus" and "Like Water For Chocolate" are both classic.. I dont think "BE" is

My bad. I own the album too. I got Go stuck in my head when thinking of the album though.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 09:48:47 AM »
Masta Ace - Disposable Arts

That is also a classic.. I wont call "A Long Hot Summer" a classic though, still dope..

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »
I've heard from many that Outkast has yet to drop a non-classic, and everything I've heard has been stellar.

DA and Doc are as good as eachother to me, still play them both alot, jury's still out for me. he disses g-unit plenty on DA, just never throughout a whole song or very blatantly. But i feel you, a no vaseline/ether level classic would have been sick.

co-sign on the Nas, I'd even say most of nas' shit is classic (don't count i am, nastradamus,-it was written very dope though not classic).

what does BE stand for?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 09:54:54 AM »
what does BE stand for?

Doesn't stand for anything.  Just the word "be".
NO MORE WAR

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:40 AM »
Masta Ace - Disposable Arts

That is also a classic.. I wont call "A Long Hot Summer" a classic though, still dope..

really... I might have to double check those.

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »

I should have added them to almost, but not classics.

Fair enough. But IMO Black Album just edges Blueprint, altho Blueprint is still a quality album!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 09:58:40 AM »
what does BE stand for?

Doesn't stand for anything.  Just the word "be".
I think i once saw that it actually stood for something.. Can't remember where i saw it though..

But its also just the word "Be"

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 10:01:42 AM »
According to this: http://www.epinions.com/content_182510390916 it stands for:
“Basement Evolution”

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »
Can Grey album count? cause BA was dope but the Grey version is tons better, that 99 problems with Helter skelter....how can you not get a classic when you mix the beatles with a skilled rapper that's actually trying?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

everlast1986

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:29:42 AM »
I would add Scarface's 'The Fix' album to that classic list too.