Author Topic: Le Guen and Rangers part company  (Read 383 times)

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
Le Guen and Rangers part company
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »

Rangers manager Paul Le Guen has left the club by mutual consent.

Chairman David Murray said: "Having met with Paul it was clear that in the interests of the club we agreed jointly to him stepping down as manager."

The Frenchman had stripped Barry Ferguson of the captaincy after claiming the player was undermining him in the dressing room.

Le Guen was in charge at Ibrox for just seven months and 31 games - the shortest reign in the club's history.

Le Guen was hugely successful in French football with Lyon, helping them win three successive Ligue 1 titles.

However, he struggled to make the transition to the Scottish game.

"We are all clearly disappointed with our current circumstances and will now focus on securing a suitable replacement," added Murray.

"I would like to wish Paul and his management team well in the future."

Le Guen added: "I am disappointed to leave the club, but I think it is the best solution for all concerned.

"I would like to thank all the people who helped me and my team during my spell in Scotland.

"In particular I would like to thank the directors who at all times gave me their total support."

Barry Ferguson's brother believes the Scotland captain will stay at Rangers following Le Guen's exit.

Derek Ferguson, who also played for Rangers, said: "Hopefully he's going to remain a Rangers player and see out the rest of his three-and-a-half-year contract.

"Barry can look back on being a successful captain.

"The most important thing is that Barry is going to remain a Rangers player."

BBC Scotland football correspondent Chick Young said he believed Scotland coach Ally McCoist was the favourite to succeed Le Guen.

Reserve-team coach Ian Durrant will take charge of training on Friday before Sunday's Scottish Cup tie against Dunfermline.

It has been comming for a while now, and with the situation he had with ferguson only put the nail in his coffin.

To be honest I feel he just underestimated the Scottish league and brought in players that were just simply not good enough.

Its quite funny looking back at when he was appointed, le revolution eh?  :laugh:

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Le Guen and Rangers part company
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:40 AM »
LOL why you posting this in the G Spot?

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
Fuck, some one move this please!

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:53:06 AM »
LOL why you posting this in the G Spot?

now its in the correct place :D what you think about it man?

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Well he did break a Rangers record. So props on that.

But i never understood why he went to Rangers in the first place.

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:24:13 PM »
Not a move that I am impressed with  >:(

IMO he should have been given more time and if the problem that he had was Barry Ferguson was a cause to this happening then I would have allowed Le Guen to sell Ferguson and bring in someone to replace him, no doubt we shall never find out the true cause to this

Yes a few of his signings were poor but they haven't been really given time to settle, and both he and a few of his signings would have adapted and been a success

I have no doubts that PLG will get a club soon (PSG already want him) and wouldn't be shocked if he was a success at his next club

Now we are looking for a manager number 13 and it seems like it shall be a team of Walter Smith and Ally McCoist

The next appointment is an important one and one that Sir David Murray can't get wrong, he must also back the manager with the money that he failed to back Paul Le Guen with

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »
NO MORE WAR

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 05:50:04 AM »
Did he basically leave because he wasnt given backing when he dropped Ferguson. Similar to Gullit and Shearer

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »
Did he basically leave because he wasnt given backing when he dropped Ferguson. Similar to Gullit and Shearer

Seemingly there were a few things raging from budgets and players attitudes which seem to be the key, and the final straw seemed to be the behaviour and attitude of Ferguson and whatever the chairman said to him with regards to dropping him

It is similar to both Newcastle with Shearer & Real Madrid with Raul, just a pity that Ferguson isn't in the same league as these players  :P

Interesting and not good times ahead for Rangers  :-[  :(

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »

Seemingly there were a few things raging from budgets and players attitudes which seem to be the key, and the final straw seemed to be the behaviour and attitude of Ferguson and whatever the chairman said to him with regards to dropping him

It is similar to both Newcastle with Shearer & Real Madrid with Raul, just a pity that Ferguson isn't in the same league as these players  :P

Interesting and not good times ahead for Rangers  :-[  :(

i see the scottish FA wont allow Rangers talk to Smith which would be a good choice. Souness has also been linked with Rangers, i know he previously did wel with them  but imo he is a poor manager.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
Smith will become the next manager but IMO its not a great choice, Smith had a great time at Rangers winning 7 titles as manager and 10 altogether as both the assistant and manager, but I think that his time has been

I thanks Souness for all he did at Rangers when he was the boss but I don't want him back

I don't know who I would like to see as the manager as I still feel that we had the man to take us forward and let him walk away after a poor 7 months in the job

I just hope that we don't gp down the road that Celtic did during the 90's and be chopping managers too often :P

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 03:23:39 PM »
Smith and Mcoist the "Dream Team"....wasnt the same said about Dalglish and Barnes?

The Maestro

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 03:53:43 PM »
I think it is the wrong decision... As deli said, he has had his time!

Id much rather him stay put.. as he is doing a great job with Scotland.

wcsoldier

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 10:27:20 PM »
Le Guen is a moron... left Lyon to coach the Rangers , yep that was clever  ::)

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 01:05:16 AM »
Le Guen is a moron... left Lyon to coach the Rangers , yep that was clever  ::)

The word 'challenge' springs to mind