Author Topic: My Opinions on AZ's "The Format" album  (Read 156 times)

WC Iz Active

My Opinions on AZ's "The Format" album
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
So I finally bought this album and its a pretty solid album from front to back.  The production on a few tracks could of been better but AZ is so lyrical that it definitely makes up for it.  He has to be one of the best rappers alive right now and the track "The Format" is probably the song of the year IMO.  I also loved "Games" that was another standout track to me. I wasnt in love with some of the guest spots but overall this is a very nice album that is worth buying.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:31:29 AM by Spiggity SpIcE »

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: My Opinions on AZ's "The Format" album
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:34:50 AM »
The production does lag at times but his lyrical genius makes up for it, any fan of hiphop should at least give this album a chance,

chill
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Smoke Break

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
oh nice, I forgot all about his album coming out. Time to use a giftcard.

herpes

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:18:21 PM »
great album but his previous album awol >>> the format

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »
I love this album.  AZ is a true lyricist which way too many people overlook in favor of production.  AZ is the epitome of an MC, and there aren't a whole lot of dudes that can make that claim these days.  He's got dope ass flows that are always on time, never lazy, rolls multis like Kool G Rap, great voice, versatile on the mic - he can get introspective and he can also be chill, neither of which seem forced.  He hasn't fell off lyrically one bit in 10+ years in the game - how many other people in the game can make this claim?

Yes, some of the production wasn't mindblowing, but at least it's not the same lineup for producers that's on every other album (Storch, Timbo, Kanye, Will.I.Am, Neptunes, Dre).  And the whole album is straight hip hop from front to back, even "Doing That" which samples Jimmy Spicer's OLDDDDDD School Classic "Dollar Bill Yall" (This is however, my least favorite song).

I REALLY like damn near every joint on here.  All of these are dope:

1. I Am The Truth (Prod. by Lil Fame)
4. Make Me! (Prod. by Emile)
5. Rise & Fall (w/ Little Brother) (Prod. by J. Cardim & Phonte Coleman)
6. Animal (Prod. by Statik Selektah)
8. This What I Do (Prod. by J.Cardim)
9. The Format (Prod. by DJ Premier)
10. Vendetta (Prod. by J.Cardim)
11. Game Of Life (Prod. by Emile)
12. Royal Salute (Prod. by Emile) (Bonus Track)

Fav's are 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12.

He's not relying on beef, or dissing for hype.  He shouts out every major hip hop clique over the last 15 years.  AZ and Primo have a perfect track record together in my opinion.  I love that he got Little Bro on here.

The beauty of this album is that it's indie, so he does what he wants.  He has no fucking business men telling him what kind of product to market and who to market it to, he's just making dope records. 

So in addition to the great album, he's being himself, he's been himself his whole career, and he's gonna always be himself.  That's why this was one of maybe 5 hip hop albums that I purchased this year.  His albums are ALWAYS worth buying.

Props on the thread.

1nce was blind

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »
I copped this album and the only track that I somewhat dislike is "Get High"

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:11:59 PM »
dont know if nas or az are better to me they both sound very similar in the way they rap and what they talk about. As far as his last effort there is some damn good beats on there. I do feel the album's sound i'sint as clear as it could be tho.