Poll

Which big do you think will dominate more in 5 years?

Andrew Bynum
5 (17.9%)
Dwight Howard
23 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard?...Who Will End Up The Better Big?  (Read 7775 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Two big men still sizing each other up

January 13, 2007

They're old enough to play in the NBA but still young enough to dream of the feats they're capable of pulling off.

Andrew Bynum of the Lakers and Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic, at 19 and 21, respectively, are establishing themselves as future All-Star centers. In the process, they're building a rivalry that figures to only get better as they battle one another and enhance their skills over the next decade or more.

Bynum, 7 feet, 275 pounds, has Howard by an inch and about 10 pounds. But Howard, in his third season, has one more season's experience, and at this stage of their development, even that small difference shows.

Howard had a team-high 25 points Friday as well as 10 rebounds and two blocks, better than Bynum's eight points, five rebounds and four blocks. But Howard couldn't carry the Magic's attempted fourth-quarter rally to fruition, leaving the Lakers to salvage a 109-106 victory at a sold-out but late-to-get-excited Staples Center.

Howard had a chance to tie the score at 107 with 41 seconds left but missed two free throws, among the nine he missed in the game. Kobe Bryant grabbed the rebound and brought the ball upcourt, where he was fouled by Howard and made two free throws to ensure the end of the Lakers' two-game losing streak.

Bynum contributed a key rejection early in the fourth quarter but was in foul trouble for most of the second half and drew his fifth foul with 9:22 left in the fourth quarter.

"We had foul trouble. Andrew couldn't stay on the floor tonight and Howard proved to be pretty awesome in there," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said in one of the few criticisms he offered about his team.

Howard was coming off a 30-point, 25-rebound performance against Golden State on Wednesday, only the second NBA player during the last 10 years to get 30 points and 25 rebounds in a regulation game. The most recent precedent was Lorenzen Wright's 33-point, 26-rebound effort for Memphis on Nov. 4, 2001, against Dallas. The last Magic player to do it was some guy named Shaquille O'Neal.

Whatever happened to him?

Bynum played 18 minutes, below his average of 19.5. He's still seeking the consistency that is the hallmark of an elite player, offering occasional glimpses of brilliance but hints of immaturity too. With his shirt tail stubbornly refusing to stay tucked into the waistband of his shorts, he still sometimes looks like a gangly kid playing against the big boys.

"Age-wise, they're close. Strength-wise, Howard has kind of caught up," Jackson said. Howard, he added, is "really a physical marvel. Andrew still hasn't grown into his body."

But he has grown enough physically and professionally to impress Howard.

"He's a great young player already, a big body," Howard said. "He's a lot stronger than he was last year. I think for him, it's just confidence. I really like his game. Seeing him in the [2005] McDonald's game to now, he's a totally different player."

Howard jumped from Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy to the NBA as the first draft pick in 2004 and became the first player to start every game after going from the preps to the pros. Bynum also jumped from high school to the NBA, becoming the 10th pick overall in 2005.

But Bynum didn't start a game until this season, when he started the opener as the third option after Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown were removed from the equation by injuries. He started the first 14 games, came off the bench in the next 17 games while he improved his work habits and his diet — no more junk food, lots more sleep — and returned to the starting lineup on Jan. 4 at Sacramento.

"It was a great learning experience for me," Bynum said of facing Howard. "He's really big and he's pretty strong and I've got to get a stronger base when I go against him."

Orlando Coach Brian Hill said that for Howard, immediately being thrust into a starting role was a product of necessity and merit.

"I wasn't here for Dwight's rookie year but I think obviously they felt that as the No. 1 pick, and with the team that they had, they needed to get him on the floor and develop as quickly as possible," Hill said. "If you're coming to a veteran team and a winning team, sometimes it's better for that guy to sit and learn and earn his time."

That's obviously a theory Jackson has adopted. Jackson also acknowledged the differences between the two players.

"Andrew has size and length and he's got the touch," Jackson said. "Andrew will end up shooting 17- and 18-foot jump shots. Howard is the type of player who's a power player. He doesn't have to rely as much on his touch as his size."

Howard, however, can't rely on his free-throw shooting. He hit only seven of 16 Friday, costly misses for the Magic and in keeping with his 65.6% success rate he took into the game. Like Bynum, he's quite accomplished, but both have a ways to go before they can be considered complete players. But for both players, time is on their side.

Both will definitely do their share of dominating, but I honestly believe Andrew Bynum will be the absolute most dominant player in the league when his prime comes...What about ya'll?

WC Iz Active

Re: Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard?...Who Will End Up The Better Big?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:39:24 AM »
Sorry NIK but IMO  Howard easily.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:43:55 AM »

Are you going based off stats or off development as a player?

WC Iz Active

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:44:56 AM »

Are you going based off stats or off development as a player?

a lil of both,  I mean Bynum has a chance to be a force but Howard already is so thats why I chose him

WC Iz Active

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:46:09 AM »
Bynum is so damn young though,  Jermaine was the youngest player ever to set foot on a nba court till bynum came around.  dude is so young its hard to tell.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 01:49:39 AM »
With no bias....it just seems like Howard is much better. I think Howard was doin better his rookie season than Bynum is now. I know that Bynum has a lot of growing and developing to do...but it'll take him years to get where Dwight is now...and it's no way to think that Dwight is even close to peaking already. He is a lot more athletic, has more skills overall, and just seems like he has it more. If I had to rate them...I'd say Dwight is a 82 right now, and Bynum is about 70....and at Dwight's peak, I see him being about 92-95, and at Bynum's peak, I see about 85 at highest. So basically...if Bynum can even be as good as Dwight is now, meaning he can drop 30 and 25, then I'll be amazed. But I can't let my Laker pride get in the way of my thinking, and saying that Bynum will be better.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:52:16 AM »
I've NEVER seen a CENTER improving so much so early like Bynum did. NEVER. So i go with him, man. Howard>Bynum at the moment, but if Bynum can continue developing like that, in two years, when he'll be 21, Bynum at 21 > Howard this year. AB, baby!

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:08 AM »
Howard, no doubt.

wcsoldier

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:08:03 AM »
Bynum has more skills when Howard is a physical monster... even if he's still young, I got some doubts when it comes to Bynum mindset.. comments like "I don't care if I'm not in the starting 5, the important is I get minutes" aren't the right ones... ok he's still young, this factor can Xplain it but I don't know... I'm sure Andrew will be a very good player, a 15 pts, 8rbs type of player but will he reach his full potential to be unstoppable (I don't have doubts when it comes to Andrew skills)... the positive thing is Phil is great at correcting the weakness of players mindset so at the end of the day I think it'll work... About Howard he can't be fucked with when it comes to physical skills but he has to work on offensive moves a lot, he's already a good player, he will improve but he won't be no Shaq as some predicted..

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 06:11:28 AM »
I'd be suprised if Bynum ever becomes as good as Howard is now.. as for Howard, no he will be nowhere near Shaq, noone ever will
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »
Let's compare Bynum's 2006/07 stats with Howard's 2004/05 stats (both 19 years old)

Points per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 17.6
BYNUM - 19.5

Rebounds per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 14.8
BYNUM - 14.1

Blocks per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 2.4
BYNUM - 4.1 (:o)

Pretty similiar stats. Bynum in 2 years will probably have the same stats Howard is averaging this year. So i'd take Bynum over Howard, even if Howard is promising and exciting as fuck too.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
Let's compare Bynum's 2006/07 stats with Howard's 2004/05 stats (both 19 years old)

Points per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 17.6
BYNUM - 19.5

Rebounds per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 14.8
BYNUM - 14.1

Blocks per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 2.4

Pretty similiar stats. Bynum in 2 years will probably have the same stats Howard is averaging this year. So i'd take Bynum over Howard, even if Howard is promising and exciting as fuck too.

Per 48 stats are VERY deceiving....especially in Bynum's case, since he doesn't even have the stamina to play 30 strong minutes, let alone 48.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »

Points per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 17.6
BYNUM - 19.5

Rebounds per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 14.8
BYNUM - 14.1

Blocks per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 2.4

Per 48 stats are VERY deceiving....especially in Bynum's case, since he doesn't even have the stamina to play 30 strong minutes, let alone 48.

Shhhhh.  He's trying to skew the numbers as much as possible, don't ruin it. 

Both will definitely do their share of dominating, but I honestly believe Andrew Bynum will be the absolute most dominant player in the league when his prime comes...What about ya'll?

G never saw that coming ::)

I'd take Howard.  He's more of a proven player and is already doing a lot of dominating.  There's lots of players that have tons of potential that never materialize so I'd go with the one that has already established himself more.

PLANT

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »

Points per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 17.6
BYNUM - 19.5

Rebounds per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 14.8
BYNUM - 14.1

Blocks per 48 mins:
HOWARD - 2.4

no shit, lets try posting the REAL stats and stop pretending Bynum is playing 48 mins.  Hes actually playin 19 mins a game, and if he was good enough, would be playing 30-35 mins.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:40:14 AM »
LOL@Bynum won't be as good as Dwight is now. :-X :-X :-X 7even, you're showing me a new side of you today. Dwight Howard is a physical beast, he's a power player, not a skill player. he has no moves on offense so he relies on his strength, dunks off rebounds, off passes, etc... he still has developing ahead of him. Bynum has the skill-set, the back to the basket game, the blocking ability, the body to dominate opposing centers, and he's only 19 getting Phil Jackson minutes. Do you realize what a failure the Bynum project would be if he didn't even surpass Dwight's current level of play? And as of now, the project is flowing perfectly...You'll remember this in a few years...PeACe