Author Topic: alleged materialism  (Read 183 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
alleged materialism
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »
fuck VH1 and e and mtv and all that shit....I was watching one of those channels the other day and they were talking about new years resolutions and they asked r and b artists and rock artists and they were like 'help world peace...be less judgmental' and all kinds of bullshit and then they were like "let's see how altruistic the resolutions of rap stars are..." and showed chamillionaire and shit and other rappers all saying something to th effect of "to make more money next year" implying that the rappers are very materialistic and greedy compared to those saints of rock and r and b or whatever but a few thoughts come to my mind upon viewiing such shit

A) every celebrity is just like them in having that mentality, but rappers are just honest about it whereas raven simone or who the fuck ever talks about being less judgmental shit...you better believe that bitch is on the hustle too.

B) PLUS those white rich E! channel hosts or whatever don't realize how quickly a rapper can lose everything. A rapper will go from the hottest property to an icicle in the dumpster in the span of two and a half weeks. rappers always have a grip of ghetto relatives that need money...in other words, rappers need to stay on the hustle because it's a brutal market and to act like it's anything but what it is is bullshit.

I'm tired of mainstream culture talking about rap like it's the vice that everyone can't help but love as opposed to just treating it like an artform as valid as any. shit like this keeps hip hop fucked up. if you expect less of people, they're gonna give you less....altruistic my ass....-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Re: alleged materialism
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »
They all ass holes BUT what do you see in a hip hop video today? Money, money, money. Everythang is money and bitches. If you ask a rapper today, why are you rappin' for, they gon say, 'money, we gotta eat'.

Hip hop will also get negative responses though.

But what the fuck is up with Rock and R&B gettin' the love. R&B and Hip Hop is the same boat sailin' the same sea. >:(

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
R&B and Hip Hop is the same boat sailin' the same sea. >:(
How so?

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »
How so?
It's Urban Music.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »
They all ass holes BUT what do you see in a hip hop video today? Money, money, money. Everythang is money and bitches. If you ask a rapper today, why are you rappin' for, they gon say, 'money, we gotta eat'.

Hip hop will also get negative responses though.

But what the fuck is up with Rock and R&B gettin' the love. R&B and Hip Hop is the same boat sailin' the same sea. >:(

well it was nothing blatantly hating one genre and supporting the other. just the way it was set up made mad implications.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »
How so?
It's Urban Music.

more importantly, it's all the same people these days.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
How so?
It's Urban Music.
How is R&B in genral urban music?

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »
How so?
It's Urban Music.

more importantly, it's all the same people these days.

-T

They all want the millions. And yes I know, who doesn't...but still.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 12:24:26 PM »
How so?
It's Urban Music.
How is R&B in genral urban music?
Urban music is Hip Hop, R&B, Soul, etc. right? They all formed out each other. And they in the same category. How you gonna respect the R&B and come out disrespecting Hip Hop. And lately in Hip hop, all it's been is R&B. I don't know what you're tryin' to ask so I hoped I answered it though. :-\

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 02:49:15 AM »
Your so called mainstream has a right to call hiphop fucked up, when all they see is money and bitches. Maybe these rappers are being honest about their thoughts, but it totally lacks introspective thinking. I'm surprised modern hiphop still has a great bunch of listeners, the way things are.

Music once used to be about emotion. I guess that's why they're putting R&B over hiphop; because at least R&B is still true in that way. Hiphop has kinda killed itself with its materialism: it aims for the easier victims in the market, but at the same time that's the reason why it's losing its backbone. You can't blame rock artists for lying about their true intentions, when their fake message in fact does move the masses.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 02:52:52 AM »
i don't blame the rock artists or any artists, I'm just condemning the media's lack of understanding the hip hop culture. Of course, hip hop culture's members do tend to be rather inarticulate. wouldn't it have been great if it was Nas or Rakim or Ice cube attacked by oprah? someone who really could have intellectually taken her on?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Elevz

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 03:32:12 AM »
Do you really think Nas could take on Oprah, intelectually? Man, all I've seen from Nas lately have been some interviews where he's high as a kite, talking about getting that paper, not giving a fuck. Rakim? He respects the dipset hustle... And Ice Cube? He's still trying to get back on top of where he once was in the early 90s. If anyone, it would have to be someone like Common or Immortal Technique I guess. But let's face it, hiphop just doesn't have its own Bono.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 03:33:57 AM »
Do you really think Nas could take on Oprah, intelectually? Man, all I've seen from Nas lately have been some interviews where he's high as a kite, talking about getting that paper, not giving a fuck. Rakim? He respects the dipset hustle... And Ice Cube? He's still trying to get back on top of where he once was in the early 90s. If anyone, it would have to be someone like Common or Immortal Technique I guess. But let's face it, hiphop just doesn't have its own Bono.

Yeah, common, immortal...whoever, the specific rapper wasn't my point, the idea of a person capable of a legitimate defense...shit anybody but fuckin' ludacris or 50, you know what i mean?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Elevz

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 03:38:53 AM »
Yup, that would have been nice, but I just don't think any popular rapper would hold much weight. Rap's a contradictory game and most rappers are some of the biggest hypocrits; it's just sad to notice how people use this to envision the workings of the entire hiphop culture. Sad but true, but that's just how it works: you see something, and you put it in perspective. If all they see is ignorant rappers talking about getting that paper, representing that real hiphop... It's only natural for hiphop to be looking like that. Or, as you might put it, there's a huge difference between the identity and the image of hiphop, if you can even speak of such an abstract matter.

Diabolical

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 04:37:43 AM »
hiphop just doesn't have its own Bono.
Thank fuck for that!