Author Topic: Proof that the November Elections are how the United States usually votes.  (Read 137 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
I just noticed something. Though since 1860, Republicans have dominated the presidency, the Democrats have dominated the house.

Since 1860, we have had 86 out of 146 years of Republican presidents, meaning the Democrats have held the White House for 60 years, a 26 year gap, or 6 terms, pkus Bush's half term right now.

BUT, since 1860, we have had 84 years of Democrat controlled houses, meaning the Republicans have held the House for 62 years since, a 22 year gap, or 11 difference elections.

The point, Americans tend to like to have a Republican president, this is true. Even though it is widely said the Republicans mess things up, and then the Democrats fix it, this country really wants a president that's a common man, everyday guy who will lower taxes, increase the military and make us feel safe knowing his our president. At the same time, we usually want congress that's going to challenge the president, is not afraid to raise taxes if needed, though we don't like it, and provid balence.

Just for fun, major changing points of US politics since 1860.

The 1860 elections were the most important elections in US history. Abraham Lincoln, a congressman formerly of the Whig party was now of the young Anti-slavery party of the Republicans. The long time dominate party was the Democrats, and they brought out the most powerful man in the Senate and long time Lincoln rival, Stephen A. Douglas, who was not pro-slavery, but would not get rid of slavery either, as he felt it should be up to the states and territories. He and Lincoln debated for years in congress, and this time it was for the presidency. That elections, the Republicans shocked the world by ending the Democrats dominance they have had in the US government, and won both the White House and the congress majority.

The 1912 elections saw the split of the ever powerful Republican party. The Progressives of the party left with Theodore Roosevelt, and that left conservative, laissez-faire William Taft to battle Democrat Progressive and former Princeton president, Woodrow Wilson. Years of Republican curruption, and the Roosevelt/Taft fall out lead to 6 years of Democrat domination.

1920 saw the Republican take back power. 2 years earlier, with the nation mad that Wilson did eventually enter the US in World War I (he had tried all he can to keep us out) the country voted out the Democrats and entered isolationist Republicans. 1920 was the finish, as Warren G. Harding ran on the campaign, "Return to Normalcy", which meant leaving the Progressive movement and Foreign policies out, and the US being more focused at home, and going back to a more capitalist base economy.

1932 saw the rise of a new Democrat party, as 2 years earlier the Democrats swept the House back, and Franklin D. Roosevelt promised American a "New Deal" from the 4 year depression the country faced. His "New Deal" turned out to be social programs like non the US has ever seen, and the expansion of the goverment to the leaves unmatched in US history. For the first time since the Civil War, the Democrats had a stance, as before that, they were progressives, which was the Republican stance. FDR made the Democrats "New Dealers", as most Republicans stayed as capitalist from the 1920's, and not the Progressives of the 1890's-1910's.

The year 1968 stands out in many Americans' minds, as that saw the death of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy, both great leaders of hope and great liberals who the country wanted to turn too. Instead, the powerful Democratic party came apart in violent riots, which was highlighted by the liberal branch singing "We Will Over Come" as Hubert Humphrey won the nomination. Eugene McCarthy, was an anti-war Democrat, and Hubert Humphrey was for the war in Vietnam, and George Wallace was a southern conservative Democrat, leading the Democrats to split, and Richard Nixon coming in and winning the election by less than 1%. Nixon, like Woodrow Wilson would win after the larger party split. After adopting a more conservative form of capitalism, Nixon re-invented the Republicans to be almost Libertarianism, modeled after fellow Californian Republican Barry Goldwater. This would change the Republicans to be smaller government, well the Democrats were still big government New Dealers. Ironically, Nixon passed Affermative Action, and many other social programs, and the House was still Democrat. The Democrats after this election would become very anti-war, dispite their party being the one that elevating Vietnam.

1980 say the politican who defines modern politics come into office. With Jimmy Carter struggling in office, Ronald Reagan offered the US hope, a strong leader who will lower taxes and beef up the military. Among other things, Reagan labeled Democrats as god-less liberals well he imbraced Christian values. This posed a problem, as before Reagan, issuses like abortian, civil rights, gun control and other social topics were never in party platforms, instead they were more of a local concern, as the local representatives would bring to Washington their personal views. Reagan defined the Republicans to watch he believed, and the Democrats who controlled the congress were his opposition. Secular politics, in which every issue has a party line, is born.

1994 saw the Republican Revolution, as before conservatives like Nixon and Eisenhower passed more liberal bills, it saw a liberal like Bill Clinton pass conservative bills. After 50 years of Democrat domination, the Democrats became very currupt, and with the height of talk radio, the Republican party finally got American to listen to them. They were the party of small government, and labeled the Democrats as the party of curruption and immorality. This was highlighted by the many Democrat scandles that were coming out of Washington.

We are here now, 2007, and the Democrats win back the House, we'll see what happens, as the results of this election, and 2004 build up for a very big 2008. If Hillary or Obama is nominated for president, then this will be the year that great change will happen.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:29:33 PM by M Dogg »

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
i don't know if america is ready for obama to be president, because of his colour and his name. if the democrats choose him they will most likely lose, i'm not so sure about hilary either, but maybe she has more chance cos of the clinton legacy, but hilary doesn't seem much as a hard ass as say thatcher was or any other female has gotten the top job of running a country.

I can see mccain from the republicans getting the nod and have a good chance of it, gulliani or however it is spelt  would be a disaster.

but then again i'm not american so what do i know, but like the rest of the world we all take an interest in what happens

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
i don't know if america is ready for obama to be president, because of his colour and his name. if the democrats choose him they will most likely lose, i'm not so sure about hilary either, but maybe she has more chance cos of the clinton legacy, but hilary doesn't seem much as a hard ass as say thatcher was or any other female has gotten the top job of running a country.

I can see mccain from the republicans getting the nod and have a good chance of it, gulliani or however it is spelt  would be a disaster.

but then again i'm not american so what do i know, but like the rest of the world we all take an interest in what happens

I can see Obama winning. Those who wouldn't vote for him because his black would not vote Democrat anyways. As Obama says, if they don't like him because his black, they wouldn't like him because of his message. Obama has the rest of America interested, as his running as a Washington outsider, to young to have a history, and to idealistic to be currupted.

Hillary wouldn't win the nomination, though many liberal members of the Democrats want her and Obama to be in the same ticket. Hillary is playing it too safe, everything is numbers, and she isn't speaking from the heart. John Edwards is another possiblity, though I honestly see him as a VP canidate. Obama/Edwards look to be the ticket right now. I would be sad though if Wesley Clark doesn't make noise, and possibly get a Secretary of Defense position.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
so no comments on the US tradition of a Democrat House and a Republican president