Author Topic: RIAA is shutting down mixtape industry  (Read 1202 times)

MIC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: RIAA is shutting down mixtape industry
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
And yes I'm catching feelings, I'm pissed. FUCK THE RIAA! They ARE taking away hip hop.

I bet people were saying the same when authorities put an end to free sampling.  ;)

WicCed Side Council

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »
it's really more of a problem for dj's than rappers, but actually turns into a thorn in a rappers shoe and here's why; most dj's will now begin to act scary and tell rappers they're no longer doin tapes out of a fugazi fear.  First of all, none of our local west coast dj's are, have, or are about to be doin as big as drama was.   dude was eatin fa real.  Whats takin place is a greed factor.  we need these dj's to man up.  So what if you can't sell'um no more, yall never did'um fa free anyway.  So let's get bacc to the essence of artist promotion.  mixtapes can still be used in  that manner.  dj skee mastered this art form.  jus think, a dj with a name can charge an artist atleast $3500 to orchestrate a mixtape, cosign and promote.  the goal aint for the artist to eat off the tape its for exposure and is a platform for an artist to build an underground/mainstream fan base.  so give'um away for free and promote'um on yall numberous sirus sat. radio shows and let the buzz begin.  dont destroy the whole mixtape game  cuzz yall can't sell the tapes in yall stores no more, jus promote'um and give'um away; gettin paid for your services should be enough.  Moviiin!!!

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2007, 03:13:05 PM »
Why is the RIAA doing this if the artists are consenting to make these mixtapes?

Maybe cause they're using other people's beats most of the time ?

yes that's the main reason I think

this sucks. but it aint nuthin wrong with using original beats. its even more interesting to me
i guess thats the reason

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
im not much into mixtapes

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »
Damn, we're gonna be afraid to even bump the music we buy one day.

My first thought's exactly...

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2007, 04:24:07 PM »
the mixtape-industry they're aiming at is not the mixtapes of up-and-coming artist putting out their own shit, but the million dollar mixtape industry the major DJ's are running... Drama can't go around bragging about selling a million mixtapes and expect the labels (who OWNS much of the materiale used on mixtape, esp. beats) and artists (who often doesn't get a dime, Lil' Wayne commented on this in some interview) to let it slide... fact is that mixtapes is taking away a biiig share of music market, and when they're bending the rules, they're bound to get fucked.

And the mixtape-game we see in todays hip-hop got nothing to do with the good old running-your-tapes-out-yo-trunk-business, most of the time it's not even original beats on it, but when it is, I don't see the problem in labeling the "mixtape" as a demo or a street-album, if your label won't let you release them, fuck it, you shouldn't have signed the contract if you're so damn eager to get your half-assed material out on the streets.

let me be the first to say "Fuck mixtapes", it's ruining more than it's creating... some up-and-comers push out so many tapes that when their albums finally drop, people are tired of them... Whatever happened to good' ol' hype? Snoop didn't need 100 mixtapes to become a star, neither did Jigga, Nas, Biggie, 2pac+++ They got their hype from guest-appearances, word on the streets, affiliation etc. When was the last time an album came that you were just dying to hear? I can't remember the last time I felt like that, because they all push their leftovers out on the streets a year before the album is finished, and i'm sick of it..

Blah, it's 6 in the morning, i'm tired and annoyed, so alot of that prolly didn't make any sense  :P

^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!
...and thats a wrap!  The debate ends with that one post.  Im not saying fuck mixtapes but hes right on in saying that todays mixtape scene aint NOTHING like the old days when they used to make REAL MIXTAPES.  All this industry did was bite then name but it aint no where near the same.  Put a fork in it yall!  If you look at it another way, this may help the recording industry by forcing fans to purchase REAL RELEASED albums (which would help album sales over all) rather then wasting money on bullshit mixtapes.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »
^ It won't force fans to buy shit.

They download  them. Right?

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
Imagine if it was Against the law for any DJ to say anything that will ruin the integrity of the track...
in other word's, The RIAA should be going after these mixtapes with the yelling no talent Dj's screaming exclusive.  ;)

nah...
for real tho, Fuck the RIAA
Mixtapes will always be here in some form or another.

acgrundy

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »
psh, IMO nowadays mixtapes were just an lazy easy way for some people to make a quik buck on mediocre half assed music.  Don't get me wrong, there has been some bangin ass mixtapes released, but for the most part 80% suck, 10% are decent, and 10% are bangin.

XaNdEr

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 01:38:25 AM »
psh, IMO nowadays mixtapes were just an lazy easy way for some people to make a quik buck on mediocre half assed music.  Don't get me wrong, there has been some bangin ass mixtapes released, but for the most part 80% suck, 10% are decent, and 10% are bangin.

thats exactly what it is,

IMO im tired of those fuckin drama, whoo kid and w/e other dj who puts out whole mixtape series where people spend htier money on with 90% jacked beats and those dj's makin all hte money of it for themselves...fuck that its not what its about

the RIAA got it right, mixtapes should only be put out as a promoting tool or for up and coming rappers, fuck all this rich rappers makin more money of it

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:20 AM »
This move right here cuts the balls offa rap and the sambos in here are championing it? WTF is going on these days?

Think of how many excellent joints you'd never hear if it wasn't for the mixtapes, they gave you a chance to hear something that was never intended for retail - Raw and undiluted.

Loads of wack artists have had dope beats, enter the mixtape to even the odds when it gets ganked by someone who can rip it.

Hip hop isn't dead but they sure are killing it slowly.

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »
Hip Hop Is Dead. :(.
Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

The Great Elephant

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
what the fuck, i was waiting to get another copy of crazy toones until the takeover came out.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

what aresome sites out there besides hiphopwest and mixunit?

BIGG-A

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "DIPPIN AN WE ROLLIN... AND WE SMOKIN ON THAT GOOD
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »
Mixtapes R gone.............???
Not a big mixtape fan, but damn,
What the fuck is up wit that? ??? ???
BIGG-A
         EMPIRE RECORDINGS
               WISCONSIN

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
Rap isn't what it is nowadays. When it becomes so commercial, it has to give up some of its underground elements.

You guys are exagerrating some of this stuff. Mixtapes aren't going away, just the ones that are being sold as an 'unofficial album'.

Mixtapes have serious copyright and publishing violations. The sad thing is that we've came up and now we are owning our own publishing and now that's getting stolen by our own people.