Author Topic: Mr. Kane AKA Kokane - Pain Killer'z (New Album) Review  (Read 791 times)

Diggfinger

Mr. Kane AKA Kokane - Pain Killer'z (New Album) Review
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:02:32 PM »
Kokane is a artist with a long and interesting history. From starting out working with his cousin Cold 187Um and Above The Law as well as legendary Eazy-E right after his college graduation, life has brought many ups and downs to the individual we know as Kokane, Mr. Kane or Jerry Long.
Despite being taken under Snoop Dogg's wing in 2000 (appearing on Dr. Dre's "The Chronic", Snoop's "Tha Last Meal" plus doing numerous cuts with Tha Eastsidaz) Kokane's unique style never really seemed to secure him any steady succes amongst mainstream (or casual if you will) rap fans.
Well the fans (often refered to as "krackers") love exactly THAT about Koka. The fact that he has never sold out to his style and has always kept adament about maintaining his unique personally through his music, only makes him the more relevant and interesting.
Needless to say, being a long time follower and admirer of Kokane's music, I was BEYOND excited about hearing this record. So was my wait worth all the excitement and abstinences? Find out in this review....

Intro - Kokane's best intro after the one on Take It Back To Da Clap, 3/5
1. Thugs Meet feat. Malia Franklin - very energetic track with Parliament member Malia Franklin, just starts the record of perfectly 4.5/5
2. Str8 How You Want feat. Nina Brown - a track with a very funky beat, Koka comes tight with his rapping 4.5/5
3. Birds Fly South feat. Pimpin Young & Lil Tragic - Birds Fly South is simply an amazing track with a very soulful beat. An instant classic 5/5
4. Fade feat. Suga Free & Young Prada - fellow Pomona inhabitant Suga Free joins Koka on this song, with a very fitting beat laced by Quaze 3.5/5
5. Pain Killer'z feat. Jayo Felony & Kam - The title track. The lyrics to this song carries a very profound message that might not be apparent at the first listen. Jayo fails to write a meaningful verse as Koka and Kam, 3.5/5
6. Glass On It feat. Young Bleeze & Young Prada - here we have the "casual pimp-song" that is just mandatory for almost every west coast rap album. Just plain fun, 3.5/5
7. Way You Do feat. Marv Dogg & Suga Free - great song, and especially Suga Free does a good job on this track, 4/5.
8. Breathe My Last Breath feat. Phil Campell (of Motor Head) - really good track with newcomer Bleeze, 4/5
9. Suga, Suga feat. Mamie Gun - Kokane sings like Rick James...GREAT!! 4/5
10. Tu A Mi Lado Lused Bien feat. Down - latin rapper Down trades verses with Kokane on this one, who also raps in Spanish. This song just has a great beat and an amazing feel to it, 4/5.
11. Don't Have Time To Waste - Koka takes time to reflect on life experiences on this one, 4/5.
12. Don't Stop feat. Lil Tragic & Bleeze - this track is another fun track, but with a twist...it's South!!! 3.5/5
13. Kodak Memories feat. Lil Tragic & Bleeze - amaaaazing track that just keeps getting better! 5/5
14. Your Number feat. Big Chan, Karma & Sharea - What a great track. Why is Kokane the only one who just kicks back and let the ladies shine?? Big Chan (Doggy's Angels), Karma and Sharea just spits some female raps on this while Koka lays low in the background. Dope. 4/5
15. Hard As Steel feat. George Clinton - Watch out for Kokane/George Clinton album called "Smell my Finger" coming next year!!!!
16. Mango feat. Mamie Gun - What a great track. Makes me feel like I have already found the woman of my dreams, 5/5
17. Change Gone Come feat. Syril - This positive track simply makes me shiver with every listen, and it gets better 5/5
18. G Sense of Humor - A very deep track, where Kokane basically reflects on his life and tells us to crack a smile no matter what we go through. A classic 5/5.
Outro - Kokane raps it all up, dope outro....

Overall: 4.5 / 5

So what is the overall impression of this new Kokane/Mr. Kane record?? A classic that will only get better with time!!!
Go to Myspace for more info and snippets:
www.myspace.com-kokane360
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 01:10:25 PM by Diggfinger »

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
Re: Mr. Kane AKA Kokane - Pain Killer'z (New Album) Review
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:50:56 AM »
havent herd the album, is it really that dope?

stephen619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Pound, We Roll Thick Like One-Time
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 02:05:16 PM »
Funky

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »
Easily one of the albums of the year, production on this is remarkable. Real musicians make the best beats.

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:01:30 PM »
Easily one of the albums of the year, production on this is remarkable. Real musicians make the best beats.

exactly my thoughts

probably Kokane's best album aswell
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'