Author Topic: "Thief's Theme" vs. "Hip Hop is Dead"  (Read 1469 times)

floatin_above_everything

"Thief's Theme" vs. "Hip Hop is Dead"
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:12:41 PM »
We all know Nas flipped the same sample as his first single on the last 2 albums. I thought "Thief's Theme" was darker, and alot more grimey, but "HHID" has more meaningful lyrics, especially the last verse "Everybody sounds the same/commercialize the game/reminise on when it wasn't just business..." "Hip Hop is Dead" thumps better in the whip too I feel. s

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: "Thief's Theme" vs. "Hip Hop is Dead"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »
Production and lyrically wise I like Hip Hop Is Dead better. The overall sound is better.

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:29:36 PM »
thiefs theme. better video, harder hitting sample, good primo=ish vocal hook. more memorable lines with no repeating of them. so much better than hip hop is dead

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:33:02 PM »
Both Make me wanna bump "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" instead...
I like both tho..

Invincible

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:37:09 PM »
Thief's Theme. Dunno why, just do.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 04:37:25 PM »
Yeah, "Thief's Theme" video was much much better because it had that super gritty east coast style. Song quality wise, I'm starting to lean towards "Hip Hop is Dead" now.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »
Easily Hip Hop Is Dead. He improved on it lyrically and the beat is more versatile.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »
I was hating on the boy at first for flippin the same sample twice, but I see he had greater purposes for that track than "Thief's Theme." "Hip Hop is Dead" appeals to a wider audience, and the lyrics have more meaning, whereas "Thief's Theme" was more structured around a few lines from "Who's World Is This".

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »
im sorry people but 'hip hop is dead' is some goof bop will i am shit. the 2nd half of the song picks up a little but it still retains that upbeat aerobic dance vibe. thats not nas, nas is supposed to be pumpin some gloomy slow burner joints not treadmill music. i want darkness, darkness!

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 04:54:59 PM »
^ He did a good job of delievring that on the actual album. And the "Hip Hop is Dead" type single did better for HHIS than "Thief's Theme" did for SD. Def Jam's always gonna want that first single to be danceable, let Nas move his units, and then drop the darker, more serious videos. ( Even though imo "Hip Hop is Dead" is a serious record covered up with a glossy beat. )

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
I think they're both great songs, and eventhough they flipped the same sample it came off really different.  Theifs Theme is dope because it's so dark sounding, and like Bananas said, the hook is great and def primo-ish.  A vintage Nas track.

On HHID, the guitar pops off crazy, and I love the live drums.  And I think the theme behind the song is much better than Theif's Theme.  I also love the simulated live swing the song gets into at the end with the crowd chants and Nas rapping only over the drum beat with no melody.  I think they managed to make what is categorized as radio friendly, yet it still delivered the best message of any mainstream song this year, and it still came off dope musically.  That's a pretty tall order and Nas & Will delivered. 

I prefer HHID.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »
Production and lyrically wise I like Hip Hop Is Dead better. The overall sound is better.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »
HHID but Thief's theme was dope also

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 05:53:50 PM »
HHID is a better track all around, but Thief's Theme is still real tight,

chill
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 08:52:52 PM »
till this day i still dont like either song and i just cannot bump it on the ride.