Author Topic: Marco Polo Releases Debut LP Port Authority On Rawkus  (Read 54 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Marco Polo Releases Debut LP Port Authority On Rawkus
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:31:20 AM »
Rawkus Records has a cherished and indelible place in the hip-hop history books, as it was the preeminent label of hip-hop’s glory age. More then a label, the name became a motto for what was right with hip-hop, and over the course of its storied history, became the model for all independent labels that followed in its wake. Now, Rawkus is back, and in doing so ushers in its rebirth with the same ideology it previously used to become a powerhouse - delivering quality music!

Known for having an ear for and developing talent - after all, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monche, Hi-Tek, El-P and the talent found on the Soundbombing Projects were initially discovered, housed, and made their name with Rawkus - the label’s eye for talent will be responsible for turning its latest additions into stars as well. And in 2007 they will continue to do so with Marco Polo’s debut LP Port Authority.

While Marco was born and raised in Toronto, after moving to NYC in 2002, he’s already made a name for himself in four short years working with artists of such caliber as The Boot Camp Click (The Last Stand—on which he produced the LP’s lead single), Masta Ace (A Long Hot Summer), and you will find his distinctive production included on upcoming projects from Heltah Skeltah, Large Professor, Buckshot, O.C., and EMC (collaborative group featuring Masta Ace, Wordsworth and Punchline), among many others. Marco is also a respected alumni member of The Beat Society, with four shows under his belt.

Already featured in Scratch Magazine’s highly-influential “Boiling Point” section in their Jan/Feb 2007 issue and recently named to Urb Magazine’s “Next 100” list for 2007, Marco’s entirely self-produced debut, Port Authority, (which will be released on 5-1-07) offers up the best of both worlds: an LP that seamlessly meshes collaborations with legendary names such as Kool G Rap, Masta Ace, Buckshot, Large Professor, Sadat X, O.C., AG, Ju Ju (Beatnuts) Ed O.G. and Kardinal Offishall, with the top up-and-coming lyricists of today including Copywrite, Kenn Starr, Jo Jo Pellegrino, Supastition, Roc Marciano (The U.N.) and J Davey.

Port Authority was a labor of love for Marco. As he laments, “This album represents the last three years of my life; my big move to NY from Toronto four years ago and the musical growth I’ve gone through while finishing it. It represents a part of hip-hop that is slowly and undeniably withering away. This album also represents my efforts to unite dope artists and make music that has lasting power. My project is not a compilation, it’s my ‘Soul Survivor’ (Pete Rock) and Port Authority will attest to that! People that loved Rawkus back in the day, this album will remind you why as it takes things back to the classic era of Rawkus Records.”

While Marco Polo’s Port Authority will kick off Rawkus’ calendar year in grand style on 5-1-07, the label has also unveiled some of the projects that will permanently re-establish Rawkus Records as a powerhouse label. Those projects include the re-release of Naledge and Double-O’s Kidz In The Hall debut School Was My Hustle, the official Soundtrack to Bruce Willis and Queen Latifah’s present: Hip Hop Project, Hezekiah’s I Predict A Riot, the fourth installment of Guru’s (Gang Starr) Jazzmatazz 4, Panacea’s sophomore LP Scenic Route, Rawkus Presents: Soundbombing 4, The Procussion’s sophomore LP and Naledge’s solo-debut Naledge Is Power.

Rawkus is back in the building, and the razor is sharper then ever!

Tracklisting:

1.) “Port Authority Intro” f/O.C.
2.) “Get Busy” f/ Copywrite
3.) “Marquee” f/ O.C.
4.) “War” f/Kardinal Offishall
5.) “Nostalgia” f/ Masta Ace
6.) “The Wrong One” f/ Wordsworth
7.) “Low Budget All Stars” f/ Kev Brown, Kenn Starr, Oddisee
8.) “Speak Softly” f/ Jo Jo Pellegrino
9.) “Time And Place” f/ Ed O.G.
10.) “The Radar” f/ Large Professor
11.) “All My Love” f/ Jaysaun
12.) “Lay It Down” f/ Roc Marciano of The U.N.
13.) “Go Around” f/ Buckshot
14.) “Hood Tales” f/ Kool G. Rap & DV Alias Khryst
15.) “Heat” f/ Supastition
16.) “Rollin” f/ Sadat X, AG & Ju Ju of The Beatnuts
17.) “For The Future” f/ Critically Acclaimed
18.) “Relax” f/ J. Davey "Relax" (Bonus Track)
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com

Luke

• 'G'
  • Roll To Every Station Wreck The DJ
Re: Marco Polo Releases Debut LP Port Authority On Rawkus
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:53:04 AM »
never even heard of this dude...but after reading that i'd like to

everlast1986

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:03:39 AM »
Good to see Rawkus back and kicking.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:29:24 AM »
Wooot! Nice lineup!

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »
Didn't he fuck with INI? 

This looks pretty interesting.  I def like the producers and features on that album.  Might be worth buying.  Anybody got a single?