Author Topic: how much did mobb deep sell?  (Read 1017 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: how much did mobb deep sell?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
They shipped gold and stopped at 375.000 I think.

The main problem for them not selling is the wrong choice of selling. Well thats from selling point of you, I liked that they had a street record and not a club banger with 50 on the chorus. Plus Mobb Deep wouldn't do much better anywhere else if you ask me.

How do you mean selling? I think there were so many problems with that record no one thing changed could have saved it.

First it wasn't a mobb deep album, it was a g-unit album featuring mobb deep. Havoc produced less than half of the music and there were g-unit guest appearances on more than half of the album. The few songs that mobb deep had to them selves they awkwardly mimicked 50 Cent's lazy flow and sing song hook style which made it sound like it could just have well featured 50 anyways. 

Second, it was created with club appeal in mind and marketed that way. Gay club records about "back stage passes" and "give it to me" were straight wack and every Mobb Deep fan was horrified to hear that crap. Mobb Deep is not "sexy" and "sleek" but they were sure as hell marketed that way. Fans of Mobb Deep and fans of hip hop alike saw through that instantly because it was corny and fake.

But Mobb Deep could go platinum again I wouldn't put it past them. If they make a really strong street album that's got a more hip-hop oriented vibe (like hip-hop is dead) with minimal outside assistance and without the g-unit brand they could definitely do at least double what they're doing now.

Lol and you call yourself a Mobb Deep fan. Ok, first of all, Mobb Deep has been making "sexy" "club songs ever since The Infany. DONT act like them creating a club joint or a joint for the chick NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. 50s singing song hook style ? Are you crazy ? Theyve been doing that WAY beofre 50 Cent ever came into the picture. Again especially check the Infamy. No wonder 50 singed since they have that in common. Songwrting and abillity of creating (catchy) chourses.

If Mobb Deeps album wasnt a street album then I dont know what the hell it was. I remember when "Put Them In Their Place" premiered and everybody was like "nah, no way thats the frist single, its not commercial enough". People were even complaining that its TOO street and that they shouldve released a club banger instead. Personally all I wanted from the first single, is to NOT be a club banger and to NOT have a cheesy 50 Cent hook.

Havoc DID produce half of the album. 7 out of 14 (its pointless count bonus tracks). Gunti apperances on more than half of the album ?? Young Buck, Tony Yayo and Banks were all on 1 track and 50 was on 2. Dont even try to say "but what about Its Alright". He mumbeled 3 words in the intro and thats it. Even if there were 14 50 featuers has it ever crossed your mind that Mobb Deep might have WANTED him on those 14 tracks. Do you really think 50 said "I have to be on 14 tracks." If you listen or read to any interviews you will see that they have huge mutual respect and there were like 20 leftover tracks featruing 50. Did it ever cross your mind that they like working with 50 ?

If I remember correctly you were the one that had that sig with the whole "fuck mobb deep for singing with 50 cent thing". Mobb Deep is one of the artist/group that got me into rap and I too was sceptical about them singing to GUnit. I was expecting a club banger with a 50 Cent hook and shit like that. But when Put Them In Their Place hit the net I knew this will turn out to be a dope project. Even if you look at GUnit verses on those tracks they were dope. I mean even Yayo sounded nice. Not to mention 50 probably ahd the best verse on the whole album (Creep).

Dont take this as a diss or something. I mean lets be realistic. Mobb Deep aint been what they used to be since the Infamy. Them singing to GUnit at least brought them back in the spotlight for about 6 months. And I dont care who they sign to in the future, even if its Britney Spears. As long as theyre making good music I couldnt care less.

Efrain

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 02:33:38 PM »

Lol and you call yourself a Mobb Deep fan. Ok, first of all, Mobb Deep has been making "sexy" "club songs ever since The Infany. DONT act like them creating a club joint or a joint for the chick NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. 50s singing song hook style ? Are you crazy ? Theyve been doing that WAY beofre 50 Cent ever came into the picture. Again especially check the Infamy. No wonder 50 singed since they have that in common. Songwrting and abillity of creating (catchy) chourses.

If Mobb Deeps album wasnt a street album then I dont know what the hell it was. I remember when "Put Them In Their Place" premiered and everybody was like "nah, no way thats the frist single, its not commercial enough". People were even complaining that its TOO street and that they shouldve released a club banger instead. Personally all I wanted from the first single, is to NOT be a club banger and to NOT have a cheesy 50 Cent hook.

Havoc DID produce half of the album. 7 out of 14 (its pointless count bonus tracks). Gunti apperances on more than half of the album ?? Young Buck, Tony Yayo and Banks were all on 1 track and 50 was on 2. Dont even try to say "but what about Its Alright". He mumbeled 3 words in the intro and thats it. Even if there were 14 50 featuers has it ever crossed your mind that Mobb Deep might have WANTED him on those 14 tracks. Do you really think 50 said "I have to be on 14 tracks." If you listen or read to any interviews you will see that they have huge mutual respect and there were like 20 leftover tracks featruing 50. Did it ever cross your mind that they like working with 50 ?

If I remember correctly you were the one that had that sig with the whole "fuck mobb deep for singing with 50 cent thing". Mobb Deep is one of the artist/group that got me into rap and I too was sceptical about them singing to GUnit. I was expecting a club banger with a 50 Cent hook and shit like that. But when Put Them In Their Place hit the net I knew this will turn out to be a dope project. Even if you look at GUnit verses on those tracks they were dope. I mean even Yayo sounded nice. Not to mention 50 probably ahd the best verse on the whole album (Creep).

Dont take this as a diss or something. I mean lets be realistic. Mobb Deep aint been what they used to be since the Infamy. Them singing to GUnit at least brought them back in the spotlight for about 6 months. And I dont care who they sign to in the future, even if its Britney Spears. As long as theyre making good music I couldnt care less.

Ok, to start lets get our facts straight on this one. Because there is no reason we should be arguing about something as factually indisputable as album credits.

Fact No. One :
9 out of 16 tracks on Blood Money are produced by people other than Havoc. (this is not even including the ShaMoney XL produced and Havoc co-produced tracks which would bring the total to 11 out of 16 tracks produced by people other than Havoc). 

Fact No. Two :
9 out of 16 tracks on Blood Money feature a G-unit artist.
(As far as not including 50 on “it’s alright”, he does the freaking hook! And he’s listed on the back of the CD as a guest feature for the song…how can you possibly not count that as an appearance honestly?!)

And counting the bonus tracks might be something you don’t do, but the rest of the world does count them. They are on the album for a reason why do you think the record label included them if they were just “pointless”? So by my count G-unit features are in fact on more than half of the album and so is guest production. Now, all I’m trying to say here is that that type of outside involvement is unprecedented on a Mobb Deep album and clearly had a negative effect as evident in record sales, reviews and overall reception by the hip-hop community (which completely trashed Blood Money).     

The vibe of the album was obnoxiously geared to be more palatable to mainstream audiences in an obvious way. Mobb Deep does street records naturally but this was no “street album” by any stretch. Any album like that with multiple songs geared toward a club audience and the mainstream pop radio can’t be considered a street album period. I have no idea what Mobb Deep records you listen to, or what you deem a club geared record but if you think Mobb Deep is a “sexy” franchise you might be crazy. Mobb Deep has put out over a dozen albums collectively and probably done thousands of songs (virtually all gutter and grimy) and you are going to say they’re considered “sleek and sexy” because of 2 maybe 3 songs (i.e. Hey Luv, Shorty Wop…etc) out of 1000+ songs?  That’s absurd.

And you are probably right about Mobb Deep wanting the album to sound that way I don’t disagree. I think the blame falls on both sides. With Mobb Deep loosing sight of what makes them what they are and 50 being over zealous with the release of his labels first acquisition . But I totally disagree that in order for Mobb Deep to stay relevant or boost sales they should sell off some of their artistic integrity… that’s “selling out” by definition. And as a fan I certainly wouldn’t be supportive of that type of business move. I listen to music for the music, not because I’m interested in giving my money away as “support” or “respect” to an artist. That’s completely asinine and counter productive. If you do that for a record you don’t actually like then you are being misleading from the artist’s perspective. They see high sales and think “ok, I’m doing something right” or they see low sales and say “shit, maybe this is a bad move for me.”

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
Mobb Deep needs to let Hav do the beats and maybe Alchemist and not all these other cats, and chill with the guest appearances and just have them get back to that grimy NY street shit that they were known for

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »

Ok, to start lets get our facts straight on this one. Because there is no reason we should be arguing about something as factually indisputable as album credits.

Fact No. One :
9 out of 16 tracks on Blood Money are produced by people other than Havoc. (this is not even including the ShaMoney XL produced and Havoc co-produced tracks which would bring the total to 11 out of 16 tracks produced by people other than Havoc). 

Fact No. Two :
(As far as not including 50 on “it’s alright”, he does the freaking hook! And he’s listed on the back of the CD as a guest feature for the song…how can you possibly not count that as an appearance honestly?!)

And counting the bonus tracks might be something you don’t do, but the rest of the world does count them. They are on the album for a reason why do you think the record label included them if they were just “pointless”? So by my count G-unit features are in fact on more than half of the album and so is guest production. Now, all I’m trying to say here is that that type of outside involvement is unprecedented on a Mobb Deep album and clearly had a negative effect as evident in record sales, reviews and overall reception by the hip-hop community (which completely trashed Blood Money).     

The vibe of the album was obnoxiously geared to be more palatable to mainstream audiences in an obvious way. Mobb Deep does street records naturally but this was no “street album” by any stretch. Any album like that with multiple songs geared toward a club audience and the mainstream pop radio can’t be considered a street album period. I have no idea what Mobb Deep records you listen to, or what you deem a club geared record but if you think Mobb Deep is a “sexy” franchise you might be crazy. Mobb Deep has put out over a dozen albums collectively and probably done thousands of songs (virtually all gutter and grimy) and you are going to say they’re considered “sleek and sexy” because of 2 maybe 3 songs (i.e. Hey Luv, Shorty Wop…etc) out of 1000+ songs?  That’s absurd.

And you are probably right about Mobb Deep wanting the album to sound that way I don’t disagree. I think the blame falls on both sides. With Mobb Deep loosing sight of what makes them what they are and 50 being over zealous with the release of his labels first acquisition . But I totally disagree that in order for Mobb Deep to stay relevant or boost sales they should sell off some of their artistic integrity… that’s “selling out” by definition. And as a fan I certainly wouldn’t be supportive of that type of business move. I listen to music for the music, not because I’m interested in giving my money away as “support” or “respect” to an artist. That’s completely asinine and counter productive. If you do that for a record you don’t actually like then you are being misleading from the artist’s perspective. They see high sales and think “ok, I’m doing something right” or they see low sales and say “shit, maybe this is a bad move for me.”

Its obvious we wont agree about the whole 14, 16 tracks things so lets leave it at that.

The thing that bothers me is that this is your typical Mobb Deep cd. I dont think theyve changed a bit EXCEPT for 2, 3 tracks but you know thats label politics where your on a huge label like Interscope. Im surprised that they've even got away with releasing a non frinedly radio single. At elast not your typical Interscope one.

And about all the cameos. Well they are singed to the label. Dont you think if they singed to Doggystle, Snoop would be on 4 records ? Or DTP and Luda would be on 3 records ?

Dunno about this album being trashed. Most of them didnt like it but people were complaing about alst 3 Mobb albums so its no difference. Another 3 reasons why Mobb Deep was hated:

a) Them gettting all cocky about the sales

b) Singing to GUnit records which is/was one of the most succesfull labels in the past 5 years. People always hate on the people that are on top. I know if this was released on lets say Columbia, and 50 Cent being an unkown up and coming rapper the opinion would have been completley different. I mean 3/4 half of the people on the forums already made up their mind about this album being weak.

c) Lets face it Mobb Deep aint been the same ever since they released the Infamy and people have been pretty much trashing them ever since.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 08:28:43 PM »
Mobb Deep used to be so raw

The Best of 3 Worlds

XaNdEr

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »

Fact No. One :

Fact No. Two :

Its obvious we wont agree about the whole 14, 16 tracks things so lets leave it at that.

The thing that bothers me is that this is your typical Mobb Deep cd. I dont think theyve changed a bit EXCEPT for 2, 3 tracks but you know thats label politics where your on a huge label like Interscope. Im surprised that they've even got away with releasing a non frinedly radio single. At elast not your typical Interscope one.

And about all the cameos. Well they are singed to the label. Dont you think if they singed to Doggystle, Snoop would be on 4 records ? Or DTP and Luda would be on 3 records ?

Dunno about this album being trashed. Most of them didnt like it but people were complaing about alst 3 Mobb albums so its no difference. Another 3 reasons why Mobb Deep was hated:

a) Them gettting all cocky about the sales

b) Singing to GUnit records which is/was one of the most succesfull labels in the past 5 years. People always hate on the people that are on top. I know if this was released on lets say Columbia, and 50 Cent being an unkown up and coming rapper the opinion would have been completley different. I mean 3/4 half of the people on the forums already made up their mind about this album being weak.

c) Lets face it Mobb Deep aint been the same ever since they released the Infamy and people have been pretty much trashing them ever since.

i agree 100%, i dont think BM was so different then lets say Amerikaz Nightmare, its just the G-Unit *stamp* on it, with all the controversy and beefing and topping the charts of them people get irritated for various reasons and begin to hate them, when mobb deep signed to G-Unit Records, lots of people saw it as selling out, while i wasnt really disappointed by the album...i think its bangin  8)

Lake Titicaca

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 12:00:51 AM »
Mobb Deep only sold 250 k

I don't care what they shipped ;D

END OF THREAD

'EclipZe

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 12:45:39 AM »
that album is fiyahh u hatahs.

Pizzle

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »
Blood Money sold over 300k.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »
HOW MUCH DID THE MOBB SELL CURTIS.  I WANNA HEAR NUMBERS, NIGGA!

Lunatic

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 04:23:56 PM »
Well, Murda Muzik went platinum of the strength of quiet storm and IMO hell on earth (gold) and Infamous (gold) were better albums so basically Blood Money not breaking 300k on interscope with the G-Unit brand and that level of promotion and exposure is utterly pathethic. I bet Prodigy sells between 150 and 200 k on Koch witch will probably be the most he's ever made on an album. That Return of The Mac mixtape is contending for the best thing comming out right now so I wouldn't be surprised if sales are high, and the $ is more than G-Unit which might mean the Mobb leaving (one can only hope).

I'll take that bet :D

jim jones did about 300,000 on Koch.

you wanna compare the amount of promotion jim jones had to what prodigy has? also would you like to compare the impact of the single jim jones had compared 2 prodigy? he will do 150,000 MAX.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Efrain

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 09:12:54 PM »
Well, Murda Muzik went platinum of the strength of quiet storm and IMO hell on earth (gold) and Infamous (gold) were better albums so basically Blood Money not breaking 300k on interscope with the G-Unit brand and that level of promotion and exposure is utterly pathethic. I bet Prodigy sells between 150 and 200 k on Koch witch will probably be the most he's ever made on an album. That Return of The Mac mixtape is contending for the best thing comming out right now so I wouldn't be surprised if sales are high, and the $ is more than G-Unit which might mean the Mobb leaving (one can only hope).

I'll take that bet :D

jim jones did about 300,000 on Koch.

you wanna compare the amount of promotion jim jones had to what prodigy has? also would you like to compare the impact of the single jim jones had compared 2 prodigy? he will do 150,000 MAX.

Well, Koch just sent Prodigy's single out a few days ago and the street date on the project is the end of March so right there you're looking at two months out for single momentum. Say what you will about Prodigy's popularity or [current] skill but just remember this is a 14 track major distribution release with Alchemist producing every single song. Not only that but everything we’ve heard from the album has been received positively by fans and non-fans thus far. I doubt it will be a huge album (especially since its being marketed as a mixtape like warm-up to Prodigy’s actually solo) but if the whole thing is as good as what we’re hearing I don’t see why it wouldn’t sell a fair amount.

As far as the whole Jim Jones single thing, eh it can goes both ways. “We fly High” was a really huge hit. It was all over radio everywhere and his album did 300k. You’d think with the popularity of that single he’d have done more so clearly there are other factors that contribute to sales.

So what should we wager?  :)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 10:54:57 PM »
so mobb deep did about 300k...lloyd banks did about 350k...Game is at 800k right now?

checkmate!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 03:23:57 AM »
so mobb deep did about 300k...lloyd banks did about 350k...Game is at 800k right now?

checkmate!

Its not checkmate. The whole reason why Game is getting laughed on all the forums is because he compared himself to 50 Cent and not Banks, Buck... If he did that everybody would be saying what you are right now, but instead everybody is laughing at Game for even thinking hes on 50s level.

"Sell another 5 millions, homie yes I am"

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 03:51:26 AM »

checkmate!

Its not checkmate. The whole reason why Game is getting laughed on all the forums is because he compared himself to 50 Cent and not Banks, Buck... If he did that everybody would be saying what you are right now, but instead everybody is laughing at Game for even thinking hes on 50s level.

"Sell another 5 millions, homie yes I am"
Game could've sold more if he released the right singles, Let's Ride was an awful choice, he should've dropped Wouldnt Get Far right after the One Blood joint, Look At Jeezy he dropped Go Getta and is almost at Game's numbers even though he dropped a month later and he still got that Timbo joint 3Am, Jeezy might sell close to 2 million