Author Topic: how much did mobb deep sell?  (Read 1018 times)

d-nice

Re: how much did mobb deep sell?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 07:57:09 AM »
Well, the world is all about numbers, so that's hardly a surprise. You can hardly blame these rappers for talking about it all the time.

It was not always like that though. And the rappers really do not control the numbers so they want to take credit when the numbers are good but don't want blame when they are bad. I don't feel any sympathy for any rapper bragging about sales onec they slump.

Efrain

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »
So what i gather from this meeting of minds, the only way to get decent sales is hype?...What has this world come to.

Its 2 things if you ask me:

a) Having hype, hustling, being an attention whore

b) Creating hit singles

I don’t think it’s as straight forward. There are a number of factors that contribute to sales. Some are more obvious like the singles, promotion the marketing and others are less obvious like sales history, uniqueness of sound, sound palatability, creativity, fan base loyalty and timing.

Some one like jay-z can put out an album like “Kingdom Come” that was pretty average by comparison and still have the greatest 1st week sales in 2006 (which he did). Now I would submit his numbers were the result of his past sales history, timing and optimal levels of promotion and marketing. People have heard a lot of Jay-Z, and his recent albums have been really good establishing enough good faith to get fans buying the album just because they believe given Jay’s history it will be a safe bet. Couple that with the whole “coming out of retirement” marketing scheme, the holiday sales push and big time promotion and that’s his sales right there.

Conversely someone like Ghostface who’s released two solid albums in 2006 can’t seem to do those high numbers. There is no doubt Ghostface’s albums are unique in sound, ahead of the curb in creativity and he’s had several radio worthy singles to boot. So why the sales slump? I would say he working against the mainstream snap and hip-hop (a very good thing btw!) in terms of sound palatability. Singles like “Back like that” provide the crossover sound necessary to get on radio but they sure don’t represent the rest of the album. Ghost’s palatability is limited in that regard to people who enjoy a uniqueness and creative edge to their music which results in a kind of an esoteric brand and smaller but loyal fan base.

Now a group like Mobb Deep is interesting because they represent the Ghostface category of artists trying to totally flip the script and be the Jay-Z artist. Before G-unit they had the creativity, the sound palatability, the uniqueness and the loyal fan base but once they switched things up with the move to G-unit they lost all of that and tried to rely solely on the single, the promotion and the marketing. Why didn’t they do those diamond numbers they were projecting? Because they lost the loyalty of their fan base, they released an album completely devoid of any uniqueness or creativity (complete and utter G-unit cookie cutter album to a T) and their timing couldn’t have been worse. They jumped on G-unit as people started getting sick of hearing about G-unit, they signed in light of being directly dissed by 50 on piggy bank and they signed at a time when the essence of hip-hop being watered down by hip-pop and snap was reaching it’s boiling point (no pun intended). The whole move was a total disaster.

It just goes to show that having the strongest record label backing you (Interscope), having the best selling brand (G-unit) behind you and what should have been a foolproof selling sound (see G-unit cookie cutter hooks, beats and features) can still result in a brick of an album if you neglect the other important factors that contribute to success.     

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »
That's not true.. If it was, then what happened to Busta Rhymes' album? He had a bunch of hot singles, he had dre's backing, and he released a remix with a bunch of artists on it, and had controversy with a body guard being shot.. He marketed alot, he was even on 'so you think you can dance'.. He had alot of concerts.. Yet, He only went Gold.

Busta flopped because of the push backs. Touch It was huge in Decmeber, January but his album was released in June. He got fucked like crazy.

d-nice

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »
So what i gather from this meeting of minds, the only way to get decent sales is hype?...What has this world come to.

b) Creating hit singles

I don’t think it’s as straight forward. There are a number of factors that contribute to sales. Some are more obvious like the singles, promotion the marketing and others are less obvious like sales history, uniqueness of sound, sound palatability, creativity, fan base loyalty and timing.

Some one like jay-z can put out an album like “Kingdom Come” that was pretty average by comparison and still have the greatest 1st week sales in 2006 (which he did). Now I would submit his numbers were the result of his past sales history, timing and optimal levels of promotion and marketing. People have heard a lot of Jay-Z, and his recent albums have been really good establishing enough good faith to get fans buying the album just because they believe given Jay’s history it will be a safe bet. Couple that with the whole “coming out of retirement” marketing scheme, the holiday sales push and big time promotion and that’s his sales right there.

Conversely someone like Ghostface who’s released two solid albums in 2006 can’t seem to do those high numbers. There is no doubt Ghostface’s albums are unique in sound, ahead of the curb in creativity and he’s had several radio worthy singles to boot. So why the sales slump? I would say he working against the mainstream snap and hip-hop (a very good thing btw!) in terms of sound palatability. Singles like “Back like that” provide the crossover sound necessary to get on radio but they sure don’t represent the rest of the album. Ghost’s palatability is limited in that regard to people who enjoy a uniqueness and creative edge to their music which results in a kind of an esoteric brand and smaller but loyal fan base.

Now a group like Mobb Deep is interesting because they represent the Ghostface category of artists trying to totally flip the script and be the Jay-Z artist. Before G-unit they had the creativity, the sound palatability, the uniqueness and the loyal fan base but once they switched things up with the move to G-unit they lost all of that and tried to rely solely on the single, the promotion and the marketing. Why didn’t they do those diamond numbers they were projecting? Because they lost the loyalty of their fan base, they released an album completely devoid of any uniqueness or creativity (complete and utter G-unit cookie cutter album to a T) and their timing couldn’t have been worse. They jumped on G-unit as people started getting sick of hearing about G-unit, they signed in light of being directly dissed by 50 on piggy bank and they signed at a time when the essence of hip-hop being watered down by hip-pop and snap was reaching it’s boiling point (no pun intended). The whole move was a total disaster.

It just goes to show that having the strongest record label backing you (Interscope), having the best selling brand (G-unit) behind you and what should have been a foolproof selling sound (see G-unit cookie cutter hooks, beats and features) can still result in a brick of an album if you neglect the other important factors that contribute to success.     

^^^ REAL TALK MAN. +1

d-nice

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
That's not true.. If it was, then what happened to Busta Rhymes' album? He had a bunch of hot singles, he had dre's backing, and he released a remix with a bunch of artists on it, and had controversy with a body guard being shot.. He marketed alot, he was even on 'so you think you can dance'.. He had alot of concerts.. Yet, He only went Gold.

Busta flopped because of the push backs. Touch It was huge in Decmeber, January but his album was released in June. He got fucked like crazy.

True that.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »

b) Creating hit singles

Lol at you acting like these are the real reason they flopped. Once again, stop saying like Mobb Deep had been making great music but as soon as they signed to GUnit they fell off. That is pure bullshit. Their whole music c.v. hasnt been the same since the Infamy and every fan knows that. They have been making pop/crossover tracks ever since that cd dropped.

And stop acting like the flop was somethign completley shocking. They flopped becuase of 3 things:

a) Put Them In Their Place was no club, pop banger

b) The push back from February to April

c) NOBODY IS SELLING SHIT THESE DAYS. And out of all the big acts that flloped this year its makes all the sense in the world that a has been group like Mobb Deep didnt do huge numbers.

d-nice

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »
Mobb Deep's music was slipping a bit before the signing to G Unit, but for me the weak link is P. Havoc stepped up the beats but P was horrible on most of the tracks on Blood Money.

Efrain

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2007, 01:42:36 PM »

b) Creating hit singles

Lol at you acting like these are the real reason they flopped. Once again, stop saying like Mobb Deep had been making great music but as soon as they signed to GUnit they fell off. That is pure bullshit. Their whole music c.v. hasnt been the same since the Infamy and every fan knows that. They have been making pop/crossover tracks ever since that cd dropped.

And stop acting like the flop was somethign completley shocking. They flopped becuase of 3 things:

a) Put Them In Their Place was no club, pop banger

b) The push back from February to April

c) NOBODY IS SELLING SHIT THESE DAYS. And out of all the big acts that flloped this year its makes all the sense in the world that a has been group like Mobb Deep didnt do huge numbers.

Ok, let’s cut through the bullshit here. If G-unit didn’t hurt Mobb Deep (as you suggest) then it must have helped them, right? That is essentially what you’re saying by disagreeing with me (who thinks it hurt them). So in your opinion Mobb Deep signing with G-Unit was a smart business move… a success really. It couldn’t have done both. It either hurt them or helped them so you tell me which did it do?

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
It got them nowhere. They situation stayed the same. If they released it when Outta Control dropped things would be different. But because that didnt happen they did the same as they would on independt or any other major label. So in my opionon they didnt move anywhere.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

b) Creating hit singles

Well first, you said it's two things, but you listed four.

You're clearly of the current (and I use this phrase loosely) hip hop generation.  I'm sorry man, you bring some dope hookups, but you have no idea what you're talking about.  You're like the clueless exec who really understands nothing about Hip Hop but thinks there's some little formula that equals success.  It's like you have no real feel for dope music or not, just whether they released what you would like to categorize as a "club banger" (btw, that might be the single worst buzz word in the industry) and hype their project. 

If that were the case, there wouldn't be a severe decline in record sales, and the industry as a whole wouldn't be crumbling at the foundation.  In fact, it's because every mainstream release follows your genius formula of hype + club banger for every album that it's all but completely destroyed the music industry.  How do people not see that?  I'll tell you how, it's because they have NO EAR for music nor any appreciation for it's artistic nature.  They don't understand the intangible thing that makes music great and appealing to people of all ages.  Rather, they think of it as some tangible "Product" that will be successful if marketed correctly.  Well keep trying to force that square peg into the circular hole and see how far you get. 

It got them nowhere. They situation stayed the same. If they released it when Outta Control dropped things would be different. But because that didnt happen they did the same as they would on independt or any other major label. So in my opionon they didnt move anywhere.

Dude you have got to be kidding.  You have so many excuses when a G-Unit album flops.  I'm starting to wonder if you're on their    e-team or something.  Mobb Deep alienated a HUGE portion of their fanbase by putting out that album.  I own everything they've ever done, I even bought Amerikaz Nightmare which had it's very good and some weak moments.  But I didn't purchase Blood Money as it was BY FAR the WORST and lamest excuse for a Mobb Deep album that I've ever heard.  And I guarantee you there were thousands of people just like me.  Now they hoped to get at 50's supposedly loyal fanbase to hit platinum but it backfired terribly.  And going forward, I'll never buy a Mobb Deep album w/o listening to it first, where as in the past I bought them on their release date.  They'll have to regain that credibility.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:50:38 PM by Jrome Is The Truth »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2007, 04:07:46 AM »

b) Creating hit singles

You're clearly of the current (and I use this phrase loosely) hip hop generation.  I'm sorry man, you bring some dope hookups, but you have no idea what you're talking about.  You're like the clueless exec who really understands nothing about Hip Hop but thinks there's some little formula that equals success.  It's like you have no real feel for dope music or not, just whether they released what you would like to categorize as a "club banger" (btw, that might be the single worst buzz word in the industry) and hype their project. 

If that were the case, there wouldn't be a severe decline in record sales, and the industry as a whole wouldn't be crumbling at the foundation.  In fact, it's because every mainstream release follows your genius formula of hype + club banger for every album that it's all but completely destroyed the music industry.  How do people not see that?  I'll tell you how, it's because they have NO EAR for music nor any appreciation for it's artistic nature.  They don't understand the intangible thing that makes music great and appealing to people of all ages.  Rather, they think of it as some tangible "Product" that will be successful if marketed correctly.  Well keep trying to force that square peg into the circular hole and see how far you get. 

Dude you have got to be kidding.  You have so many excuses when a G-Unit album flops.  I'm starting to wonder if you're on their    e-team or something.  Mobb Deep alienated a HUGE portion of their fanbase by putting out that album.  I own everything they've ever done, I even bought Amerikaz Nightmare which had it's very good and some weak moments.  But I didn't purchase Blood Money as it was BY FAR the WORST and lamest excuse for a Mobb Deep album that I've ever heard.  And I guarantee you there were thousands of people just like me.  Now they hoped to get at 50's supposedly loyal fanbase to hit platinum but it backfired terribly.  And going forward, I'll never buy a Mobb Deep album w/o listening to it first, where as in the past I bought them on their release date.  They'll have to regain that credibility.

You got me all wrong. Its not that I like the formula of a club banger and promotion but its the way it is.

Im making exuses about GUnit flops ? There have only been 2 so far and Ive always said that Banks flopped period. But with Mobb Deep Im postive that they wouldnt do anything different on any different label, simply becuase their passed by.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:13:47 AM by Timbo the king »

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2007, 08:08:16 AM »

b) Creating hit singles

You got me all wrong. Its not that I like the formula of a club banger and promotion but its the way it is.

Im making exuses about GUnit flops ? There have only been 2 so far and Ive always said that Banks flopped period. But with Mobb Deep Im postive that they wouldnt do anything different on any different label, simply becuase their passed by.

there's been 3. Don't forget Lil Scrappy. The only reason he isn't on "G-Unit" is because of contract issues. But his album was executive produced by 50 Cent and and most of it was featuring G-Unit or produced by G-Unit/Aftermath related producers.. He even screams out G-Unit on a bunch of songs..

But i know.. you'll find some way to technically discount them. :)