Author Topic: Not another Detox Thread........Pt. 20,032....Promotion for Detox  (Read 3402 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Seeing that the entire rap game has changed up a lot from what it was in 99 when Dre 2001 came out...what are all of the methods you feel will be necessary for promoting Detox, and making it a very high selling album? It seems as if the "TRL Crowd" and "Teenyboppers" may still love Eminem, 50, and Snoop, but many of them are out of touch with Dre and everything he's done.

Do you think Dre will have to do all of the talk shows and music shows, such as 106 n Park, TRL? What rapper do you REALLY think is gonna be his right hand man, and be the one that he promotes the album through? Although Hittman was really Snoop on 2001, he still seemed to go through Eminem and Snoop more than Hitt, because he had a name...so that may mean that he won't be going through Bishop as much as some of us might hope.

Will he have to come with a club hit as the first single, or will he have to come with a street single and a club single at the same time? He didn't drop a club single until the third single on 2001, which was "Next Episode", and the only true club song aside from that was "Let's get high" which still gets played at West Coast clubs. With the south being on "top" and having so many club songs and the like, it seems as if Dre will be more successful with a single that has energy to it, even if it isn't simple and catchy.

What will Dre's image be? Will he come out in throwback mode, wearing all black, Compton hats, chucks, khakis, etc? Will he come "30 something" (even though he's 40) in button ups, jeans, and dress shoes? Will he come out "white boy" like Pharrell and Kanye, with the small fitting shirts, or the hoodies that Wayne and T.I. like to wear? Or will he come as a Godfather, wearing suits, hats, and the like? What image do you think will be best for him at this point? There are many different options, and it may even depend on the singles and the overall mood of the album.

Speak on it.

WILL-I-DIE

Re: Not another Detox Thread........Pt. 20,032....Promotion for Detox
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »
i dont know man but when is dre gonna drop the first single off detox?
i wonder whos gonna be on it and if its gonna be a "club" or "street" joint

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:40:28 PM »
Actually a really good topic for Detox for once!!!

I can't see Dre doing the whole TRL or talk show type shit.. he just seems like he would consider himself past that.  He may peform on some shows maybe but I don't know I can't see him sitting down and talking about it.. I don't know.

I hope Dre really puts Bishop out there because Bishop is a dope rapper and deserves to blow out out the west and help the west be a big part of the rap game again.  I imagine Dre will use Em & 50 & possibly Snoop to get his album heard.  I'd actually like to see Dre do a record with Cube.. something huge like Natural Born Killaz again!!

Dre will probably come out with a club record using Em & 50 considering he's produced some bangers for both of them on their records.  The key is if he puts out a club record first what kind of singles does he follow that up with?  He doesn't want to lose the buzz and interest he has in his record with just the first single.  I think that will be key.  But I imagine on all of his first 3 singles he will have big names on it to keep himself on top of the charts.

Image wise I don't see Dre trying to look all professional with suits and shit.. I imagine him in casual clothes with maybe the all black look or the jean jacket blue jeans type look.  But definitely not the suit look.

Man good topic though.. I'll post more when I have time to think about it more.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:02 AM »
True, that all makes sense.

Yeah I do think he may feel he's above TRL and 106...but it's no denying how much that can do for his sales, and with sales not being what they used to be, and with 2001 never even reaching the #1 spot, he may just have to do it. I would love to see them do a whole show for him like they did for Jay...but instead of having him perform all 10 songs by himself, they could have 10 songs he's done with other artists and have them perform since he probably doesn't have the wind to perform that many songs.....or either just do a top 10 Dr. Dre songs or Dre produced songs.

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:02:59 AM »
Would be interesting if Dre went the Commercial route like Jay in all those commercials with his songs playing in the background.  Ringtones etc..

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »
Oh yeah....I remember he did the Bud commercials with Pharrell, but yeah I wonder if he'll do those Jamster type commercials or whatever else.

I think his first single needs to have a laid back party vibe that is something grown up as "Show me what you got" but not as much energy. Something matching the vibe of "Ghetto Fabulous" "Been there done that" and especially "Keep their heads ringing" and the "California Love remix" versus something too hyper. He's too old to be doing something that is a gangsta house party styled track as a major single...even though he can keep somethin like "Let's get high" in the chamber for the fans to play on their own at parties/clubs.

I really think he should go the safe route and use every single avenue of promotion that he can...using his songs in numerous commercials, doing interviews in everything from Young Teeny Bopper Magazine to Essense and Vibe, and oh yeah....A MIXTAPE!! I think it is almost necessary that he has some kind of mixtape, whether it's mixed with old songs, remixes, or even him rapping on a few throwaways...just something to get his name back in there. I even think it would be amazing if he did a mixtape that had 6-8 of his older classic or even slept on beats (The Wash) and have new cats who are hot, such as Jeezy or Wayne, rappin on them, just to get the south and their fanbase back on Dre. But yeah....a mixtape or two might be necessary in some way.

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 02:16:37 AM »
For me.. Dre is The producer !! All his life he makes hits !! But the better part of his music was The Chronic/Doggystyle part !!
And now its Dre with G-Unit(I Hate Them !), Dre with Jay-z (... :o ) etc............. Why he doesn't produce for Kurupt??,for Roscoe??, No track produce on 213 album!!! .... no disrespect ... Sometimes i think about a Snoop/Dre album (without featurings cause 50 or some bullshit will be on)... Why Snoop is ready and Dre not??
But Dre is a Legend   :)   

For Detox... I think a single with 50/Em' on...  :( 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:19:57 AM by Snoopaveli »

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 02:26:07 AM »
Actually a really good topic for Detox for once!!!

I can't see Dre doing the whole TRL or talk show type shit.. he just seems like he would consider himself past that.  He may peform on some shows maybe but I don't know I can't see him sitting down and talking about it.. I don't know.

I hope Dre really puts Bishop out there because Bishop is a dope rapper and deserves to blow out out the west and help the west be a big part of the rap game again.  I imagine Dre will use Em & 50 & possibly Snoop to get his album heard.  I'd actually like to see Dre do a record with Cube.. something huge like Natural Born Killaz again!!

Dre will probably come out with a club record using Em & 50 considering he's produced some bangers for both of them on their records.  The key is if he puts out a club record first what kind of singles does he follow that up with?  He doesn't want to lose the buzz and interest he has in his record with just the first single.  I think that will be key.  But I imagine on all of his first 3 singles he will have big names on it to keep himself on top of the charts.

Image wise I don't see Dre trying to look all professional with suits and shit.. I imagine him in casual clothes with maybe the all black look or the jean jacket blue jeans type look.  But definitely not the suit look.

Man good topic though.. I'll post more when I have time to think about it more.

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 04:16:43 AM »
If he wants to have a big first single he should have 50 or Eminem on his first single. Or Bishop if he has an album out before "Detox" and he blows up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:29:07 AM by Westcoastfanatic »
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:29:49 AM »
i see what you saying about still dre not being a club joint in comparison to next episode but you cannot deny that still dre was in clubs gettin spins like crazy, i still hear that shit gettin played.......

i think dre gotta have snoop on his first single....i think he may have to put eminem on it too to get crazy sales cuz the white boys buy anything em spits on....and if they hear him on a dre beat rappin with snoop n dre, they gon go crazy.....50 should not be anywhere near his first single nor should he be on the album much.....a verse and a hook max....

about marketing.....dre gotta get his name out....get some interviews done....i know his huge and shit but nigga puttin out a album so he better not get lazy....go do some time on tv's and shit doing interviews, you will see him with some other niggaz on screen soon....most likely bishop on some screens and em n 50 with him on others and maybe snoop too if he has a big part to play on detox....which i hope so......

i think bishop will play a big part on detox from what we are hearing so far but i still am not fully convinced by him, his got talent no doubt but he has some work to do yet still....hittman had crazy lyrics and he played his part on 2001 but it wasnt enough for the public....bishop got nice lyrics too but he got alot to do still yet....i would have liked to see game on the album but i cannot see that happening....

anyway if this album ever comes out, people will come cop it.....i just think he will have a tought time tryna come with a new sound and topping 2001 because his latest shit has been between average and garbage

peace

maudizzle

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:39:34 AM »
Seeing that the entire rap game has changed up a lot from what it was in 99 when Dre 2001 came out...what are all of the methods you feel will be necessary for promoting Detox, and making it a very high selling album? It seems as if the "TRL Crowd" and "Teenyboppers" may still love Eminem, 50, and Snoop, but many of them are out of touch with Dre and everything he's done.

Do you think Dre will have to do all of the talk shows and music shows, such as 106 n Park, TRL? What rapper do you REALLY think is gonna be his right hand man, and be the one that he promotes the album through? Although Hittman was really Snoop on 2001, he still seemed to go through Eminem and Snoop more than Hitt, because he had a name...so that may mean that he won't be going through Bishop as much as some of us might hope.

Will he have to come with a club hit as the first single, or will he have to come with a street single and a club single at the same time? He didn't drop a club single until the third single on 2001, which was "Next Episode", and the only true club song aside from that was "Let's get high" which still gets played at West Coast clubs. With the south being on "top" and having so many club songs and the like, it seems as if Dre will be more successful with a single that has energy to it, even if it isn't simple and catchy.

What will Dre's image be? Will he come out in throwback mode, wearing all black, Compton hats, chucks, khakis, etc? Will he come "30 something" (even though he's 40) in button ups, jeans, and dress shoes? Will he come out "white boy" like Pharrell and Kanye, with the small fitting shirts, or the hoodies that Wayne and T.I. like to wear? Or will he come as a Godfather, wearing suits, hats, and the like? What image do you think will be best for him at this point? There are many different options, and it may even depend on the singles and the overall mood of the album.

Speak on it.

I'm sure Jimmy knows what to do. He doesn't need our help.

XaNdEr

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:45:23 AM »

I'm sure Jimmy knows what to do. He doesn't need our help.

thats what i tohught, at first i didnt wanna reply here, but i thought about and came back, and i saw this comment of Zuka.

He is right, dre is basically a fool for letting Jimmy take control of Dre's own company...back in 96 or so he could do w/e he wanted, make w/e he wanted, i doubt that will happen with detox, it will always have the interscope stamp on it to a certain degree, no matter how much you might deny it, or say its bs....

D-Reborn

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Death is certain, life is not
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:47:45 AM »
i really cant imagine him wearin like kanye or pharrell or throwback, the "30" some maybe, and definetely the godfather

8) 8) 8)

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »
Lets give Dre sum ideas for track titles. He should do a track called "The Final Episode".
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:33:51 AM »
Lets give Dre sum ideas for track titles. He should do a track called "The Final Episode".

How bout a throwback G-Funk joint called "Re-Lapse"?