Author Topic: Fixing the "Doggfather" Lp  (Read 1120 times)

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
Re: Fixing the "Doggfather" Lp
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
I'd have changed not the tracklisting, but Snoop. To fix 'The Doggfather' you would have to simply spice up Snoop's vocals. They are completely without energy. I'd also add more bass to most of the beats, perhaps.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
I'd have changed not the tracklisting, but Snoop. To fix 'The Doggfather' you would have to simply spice up Snoop's vocals. They are completely without energy. I'd also add more bass to most of the beats, perhaps.

truth, it's a very well produced record, snoop just sounds sad as fuck cause of pac

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

dclee

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »
I actually first bought this album when DR re-issued it sometime in 2006 with a bonus DVD with the music videos. I had very low expectations so it exceeded them. I think they almost did the best they could without Dre, they had good producers and sure there were some mediocre tracks but overall I'd say it's a solid album. Favorite tracks for me are 2001, Vapors, Groupie, and O.J. (Wake Up Call).

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »
I actually first bought this album when DR re-issued it sometime in 2006 with a bonus DVD with the music videos. I had very low expectations so it exceeded them. I think they almost did the best they could without Dre, they had good producers and sure there were some mediocre tracks but overall I'd say it's a solid album. Favorite tracks for me are 2001, Vapors, Groupie, and O.J. (Wake Up Call).

agreed, snoop is just rappin' too low for my liking
-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »
Snoop went through Dre leaving, Pac getting killed, Suge in jail and the big one, just getting aquitted in a long and draining murder case. He could not be on some Murder Was The Case type shit on the 2nd album. That would almost be gloating about it to alot of people. I think he was really contemplating changing his ways and his lyrics, but that style is what he does best. I don't know too many artists that had more to go through in a recording process for a album more so than what Snoop did.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »
Snoop went through Dre leaving, Pac getting killed, Suge in jail and the big one, just getting aquitted in a long and draining murder case. He could not be on some Murder Was The Case type shit on the 2nd album. That would almost be gloating about it to alot of people. I think he was really contemplating changing his ways and his lyrics, but that style is what he does best. I don't know too many artists that had more to go through in a recording process for a album more so than what Snoop did.

i felt like pac dying was a bigger deal for snoop based on what i've read

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2007, 12:21:11 PM »

i felt like pac dying was a bigger deal for snoop based on what i've read

-T

It was rough too because he thought he was a target and the fact he lost a good friend. It probably scared him again when Biggie was killed also. But I remember that murder trial and that took alot out of Snoop. I remember not being sure if he would be found innocent in that case.  For me, it has always been about flow with him and he tried a different flow on that album and he did not sound comfortable. But I never knock the content, because I am sure he felt like second guessing himself after the trial went down. That has to fuck with your creative process a little bit being a gangsta rapper fresh off a murder case.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:24:06 PM by d-nice »

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »
i liked his flow content and all that, i just wished we would have had the same voice/enthusiasm/delivery as DS in that shit, it would be a comparable classic. all those producers got the fuck down

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »
i liked his flow content and all that, i just wished we would have had the same voice/enthusiasm/delivery as DS in that shit, it would be a comparable classic. all those producers got the fuck down

-T

Yeah he struggled with his flow and delivery even in the albums after Doggfather. As he got further into his albums I think he was able to maintain a sicker flow/delivery over more and more songs.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2007, 04:06:59 PM »
this is still my second favorite Snoop record, on that joint 2001 Snoop's flow is  :o, very underrated production on this album by Pooh and Daz, only thing the mixing on some of the songs might be lacking maybe due to Dre not mixing it and Snoop's delivery not being the same on alot of tracks but I look at this album like a laid back gangsta album if there is such a thing

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 06:35:04 PM »
its solid to me as is, 2nd fav album by snoop

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »
All I know is that I put that album on the other day for the first time in ages and was shocked at how tight it is. I guess I didn't appreciate it when it came out because I was expecting another Doggystyle. But looking back that album is dope as hell and I have been banging it the past few days non stop.

co-sign, I bought it the day it came out and was so dissapointed, but this is definitely Snoop's second best album, the only thing wrong with this album was the mixing on some of these tracks could be better, that's where Dre was really missed, but damn this is one of my favorite albums of all time

the mixing could of been a lot better, some tracks are downright terrible and makes me wonder wat the hell was going on

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2007, 01:25:15 AM »
DJ Pooh did a great job on that album but I agree "Doggfather" misses something, maybe "Street Life" should been there.
Check out this live performance of "Snoop's Upside Ya Head" at SNL, 1997, it's the bomb:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:27:16 AM by Davizz »

XaNdEr

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2007, 02:25:41 AM »
This CD is bangin' from start to finish, definately amongst the greatest albums Death Row put out, but on some tracks i find something missing, like others already said before me. The beats sound kinda "hollow" like they could have used some bass or something, but i can agree with the people who are saying this is classic, it is.

On a sidenote, i always wondered why Kurupt isn't credited for the song Up Jump Tha Boogie. In the album credits it doesn't say Kurupt. I think he wrote that song, at least his own verse, maybe Snoop's verse too. Maybe due to legal issues or maybe Suge was the reason, even though around the time the album was made/released they was still cool with eachother. Anybody know something about this?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2007, 11:22:26 PM »
This CD is bangin' from start to finish, definately amongst the greatest albums Death Row put out, but on some tracks i find something missing, like others already said before me. The beats sound kinda "hollow" like they could have used some bass or something, but i can agree with the people who are saying this is classic, it is.

On a sidenote, i always wondered why Kurupt isn't credited for the song Up Jump Tha Boogie. In the album credits it doesn't say Kurupt. I think he wrote that song, at least his own verse, maybe Snoop's verse too. Maybe due to legal issues or maybe Suge was the reason, even though around the time the album was made/released they was still cool with eachother. Anybody know something about this?

dogg pound just all see themselves as one big unit (especially back then) so alot of credits didn't happen.

for example, most songs Bigg Pimpin' is on he is not credited...it's kinda like a cool surprise you get at the end of the song when he talks till the fade out or something you know?

like Nate dogg is not credited for being on the next episode because dre wanted to surprise you with that "hold up....Heeeyyyyy"

also,for example Kurupt's locc'd out hood from gang related actually features snoop on the chorus and outro, is produced by daz/soopafly and charlie wilson sings a bit in the background but the song is just credited to 'kurupt'

-T

westcoastavengers.com