Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth Is...  (Read 409 times)

ShadyGuru

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Pan's Labyrinth Is...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
Pans Labyrinth was tight.  Just the visuals alone were amazing.  Overall a very cool fairy tale for adults.  Guillermo del Toro is bad ass, he is the dude that does the hellboy movies and Pans Labyrinth is sort of this baby.

I thought the translation for the title was sort of stupid though.  In spanish it is the fawns labyrinth.  The fawn in the movie doesn't have a name, they never call him Pan, so it doesn't really make sense that they call it Pans Labyrinth

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 02:28:38 PM »
the best movie i've seen this month is blood diamond, flollowed by illusionist, pursuit for happyness and the departed, i guess pans labyrinth would get the fifth spot.. departed would probably be higher up if i dint know infernal affairs existed

The movies you listed are cool, but the only that movie that is somewhat close to the level of greatness Pan's Labyrinth was is The Departed.  What separates Pan's Labyrinth with all of those movies are its main theme and the film's ending, which are much more powerful and complex than those films you listed.  The whole idea of an anti-fascist/fantasy movie with numerous parallels to the real world and fantasy world is amazing.  The symbolism throughout the movie is so powerful too.  And of course technically speaking, everything about the film is top notch: the camera work, the lighting, the sets, the make-up, and the colors.  Also, I find it incredible that the filmmaker created this universe entirely from his simple notebook.  The movie's ending really can't be described, it's one of the best endings to a movie I've ever seen.  Eh, oh well that's just me. 
first of all, it's debatable if this movie is a fantasy at all, since there are many arguments suggesting that she were daydreaming all along.

the complexity of a movie doesn't make it good, it just make it... complex.

the visuals were good, sure, but nowhere near other fantasy movies like harry potter etc (not implying that harry potter is better movie)

the colors were good, but if you want colors descibing a story, watch asian movies like "flying daggers" and "hero". these two movies also have better "camera work, lighting, sets and make-up".

the ending wasnt all that for me. from the perspective i chose to see it, she died for nothing. it can be compared with somebody beliving in swimming dragons and dying when diving into the water to save one...

it's not that i dont like this movie... but y'all making a way to big buzz over this movie

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 03:19:44 PM »
the illusinist was ehhh, prestige was so much better. for me the other 2 movies that this competes with is children of men or babel, and mayyyybe deprated

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 10:59:40 PM »
the best movie i've seen this month is blood diamond, flollowed by illusionist, pursuit for happyness and the departed, i guess pans labyrinth would get the fifth spot.. departed would probably be higher up if i dint know infernal affairs existed

The movies you listed are cool, but the only that movie that is somewhat close to the level of greatness Pan's Labyrinth was is The Departed.  What separates Pan's Labyrinth with all of those movies are its main theme and the film's ending, which are much more powerful and complex than those films you listed.  The whole idea of an anti-fascist/fantasy movie with numerous parallels to the real world and fantasy world is amazing.  The symbolism throughout the movie is so powerful too.  And of course technically speaking, everything about the film is top notch: the camera work, the lighting, the sets, the make-up, and the colors.  Also, I find it incredible that the filmmaker created this universe entirely from his simple notebook.  The movie's ending really can't be described, it's one of the best endings to a movie I've ever seen.  Eh, oh well that's just me. 
first of all, it's debatable if this movie is a fantasy at all, since there are many arguments suggesting that she were daydreaming all along.

the visuals were good, sure, but nowhere near other fantasy movies like harry potter etc (not implying that harry potter is better movie)

the colors were good, but if you want colors descibing a story, watch asian movies like "flying daggers" and "hero". these two movies also have better "camera work, lighting, sets and make-up".

the ending wasnt all that for me. from the perspective i chose to see it, she died for nothing. it can be compared with somebody beliving in swimming dragons and dying when diving into the water to save one...

it's not that i dont like this movie... but y'all making a way to big buzz over this movie

There is no debate, it's a war/fantasy movie.  Daydreaming or not, it's fantasy.  The reason the complexity makes it good because Ofelia's story turns into an allegory, and boy would I love to see the last movie that wasn't based on a novel that had this.  The asian movies have vibrant colors, what Pan's Labyrinth had is color that complimented the environment.

Luke

• 'G'
  • Roll To Every Station Wreck The DJ
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »

Daydreaming and fantasy are the same thing...you can't say "its not fantasy because they implied she was daydreaming"...i would say that makes it fantasy for sure

And i think complex movies tend to be better and a hell of a lot more creative than simple run of the mill movies.

The special effects may not've been as good as harry potter...but to me the make up and costumes blew HP out of the water

As far as the camera settings and such...yes those asian movies are great but its an entirely different genre of movies...the camera work alone didn't make those movies good enough to put them on my top 10...though they are great movies (especially hero)

I loved the ending...she didn't die for nothing...she finally went somewhere where she was happy. where she didn't have to deal with all the crap she had to on earth. i hope i go some place like that when i die. the ending was amazing.

i agree that the departed and the illusionist were great movies...i mean shit i bought the illusionist the day it came out and you can bet i'll be buying the departed...but those movies don't even compare to this in my mind.

Lake Titicaca

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 06:16:28 PM »
Ending was not spectacular.

The two plots didn't mesh well.

It could have been a masterpiece.

Imagery/visuals/setting was awesome.

Acting/cast was perfect.

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
i just saw this movie and i must say WOW.!!!I thought the story was hella tight and the actors were good.I dont how people can even bash this movie because it had everything.One of the parts that had me really rolling was when the girl cut up the captian and then she left room and the 2 guards see her and dude was like "hey i guess the boss let her go" then the other guard says"What the fuck did you just say".I think people got mad at the end of the movie thinking it was a fantasy movie because of the little girls fantasies but then they realized it was all in her mind.They pretty much wanted you to feel how shitty it must of been for kids back then when they had to have a fantasy just so they can get away from the real world because of the war and shitty people.This movie im defently buying when it hits stores.