Author Topic: Rate The Snoop Albums, 1-8  (Read 6345 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: Rate The Snoop Albums, 1-8
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 05:31:03 PM »
I was thinkin bout doin this thread after Blue Carpet came out, but it was too fresh on my ears to really judge like that, and still is. LOL that EVERYBODY will have Doggystyle #1....I only know like 2-3 people who wouldn't say that, and it's for dumb reasons.

Damn this is hard as hell right here.......Snoop n Quik are my favorite artists, and it's hard as hell to rank their LPs.....same goes for Jay-Z...because many of them are great in their own ways, and represent different moods and time periods. 

1. Doggystyle - No explanation needed. For me, this is the album that got me into rap, and I still remember getting caught for listening to it in 4th grade and getting on punishment and having to study Science. I still play it more than almost anything else I have.

2. Blue Carpet - It's brand new, and it's hard for me to really say that it's his second best album with everything he's done since Doggystyle....but after hearing it so many times, I really do think it's his second best, and if not, it's top four. There are a few filler tracks, but the great tracks are GREAT, especially for the mood. Nearly every song gets me hyped when I play it. Lyrically, this is probably Snoop's best CD, and flow wise, he has moments that are almost as good as Doggystyle.

3. Last Meal - I don't think this album really had any great standout songs like that....even Lay Low never blew my mind. But overall as an album, it's definitely one of his best, and is his most consistent album aside from Doggystyle.

4. Top Dogg - Has Snoop's best song that wasn't from Doggystyle, which is B Please, and has a good number of timeless standout songs on there. Very consistent aside from "In love with a thug".

5. Doggfather - Personally, this album has always been underrated to those who expected Doggystyle, and overrated for those who loved Snoop because of Doggystyle. It's definitely a solid album, but it has a few sleepy songs on it that should have been left off with no question. Although I say it's #5, I think that #2-5 are nearly equal.

6. Paid da cost - Very underrated to me, probably because the Neptunes songs threw off what people expected from it. Everybody was bumpin Stoplight when the album dropped, but this album has been forgotten about for the most part. Ballin was one of the most amazing songs I had ever heard, and I have no idea why people didn't feel it like I did.

7. R&G  - Definitely wasn't a bad album as some people thought, and I liked a lot of songs on there. I just think it was too commercial for Snoop's truest fans. Drop it like it's hot is a classic club track with no questions.

8. Da Game is to be sold - Had a few dope songs on it, but had some HORRIBLE songs on it as well. Overall, it wasn't a terrible album at the time, and still isn't....but is easily Snoop's least memorable. It is still better than many other efforts we've heard, and most people in L.A. that I knew were actually No Limit fans at the time, and thought the album was hot...but playin it now, it's like damn......

Plumma25

• 'G'
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 04:49:02 AM »
1.  Doggystyle
2.  Tha Doggfather
3.  Tha Blue Carpet Treatment
4.  Tha Last Meal
5.  No Limit Top Dogg
6.  R&G
7.  Paid Tha Cost To Be Tha Boss
8.  Da Game Is To Be Sold Not To Be Told
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.

Navaveli

• Lil Geezy
  • Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep Me Nine Str8
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »
I have noticed with the exception of Doggystyle alot of seem to appreciate Snoops other work after listening to it years later for example Tha Doggfather. That album was so hated on but now seems to creep up as his 2nd best album and a masterpiece at that. Well here is what I think the Ratings are:

1.) Doggystyle - Snoop at his hardest with that smooth but hardcore delivery, he was hungry as hell on this album. Broke it down with Dre producing. This is a Hip Hop Classic album.
2.) Tha Last Meal - This album was tight from  beginning to end, more consistant album from Snoop. Like how Snoop and Kokane sounded tight together.
3.) Tha Doggfather - I would say this is a tie with #2 another consistant album with more of laid back G Funk Album. Real good from beginning to end and I think Snoops lyrics are really tight on this one..
4.) Tha Blue Carpet - This album is tight but not consistant at all, there is many bangers all this album that make it listenablee but alot of filler tracks and I wish they would have put Wannabes on the album...
5.) No Limit Top Dogg - THis album is a banger with more west coast feel, this album to me is very close to the format of Tha Blue Carpet album. These two albums seem like they are albums that were released after a really bad album to bring back the old snoop.

Okay i believe Snoop really only has 5 hit albums, the next 3 records are to me wack albums that have maybe only 3 to 4 bangers max.
6.) R and G - This album had Drop it like its hot and one or two other good tracks, the rest to me was trash.
7.) Da Game - I have to admit there was some tight beats on this one and some good tracks but it was far from a snoop record but it still had some good joints. Not as  bad as people make it out to be..
8.) Paid the Cost - to me this was the worst album ever. Only track I really like is The one and only produced by premier.. damn Snoop and DJ Premier sound real tight together. I would like to see Premier produce a whole Snoop album.

I believe in most cases the albums listed to 1 to 5 are Snoops great work, albums are filled with bangers, 6 to 8 are albums i believe most people will have in that rating that I would consider waste of money albums, only few good joints the rest is trash...
Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep my Nine Str8...

R.I.P Makaveli aka Tupac Shakur the Hip Hop Don...

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:24:57 AM »

8.) Paid the Cost - to me this was the worst album ever. Only track I really like is The one and only produced by premier.. damn Snoop and DJ Premier sound real tight together. I would like to see Premier produce a whole Snoop album.

Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

d-nice

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 08:38:12 AM »
I listened to Da Game all this weekend. After all this time it still sounds rushed, just like Snoop said it took him 2 weeks to do the album, it sounds like it. The guests appearances for the most part sound forced and rushed. There are some good tracks on it but it just did not fit his style. I think people that like more of a uniform sound from Snoop, TLM, Doggfather and Tha Last Meal score higher. TD was dope because Snoop brought it back west with Dre and others, but that album was like the first where he started working with the regulars today like Jelly Roll, Meech Wells, DJ Quik, etc. And that album just had some DOPE records on it. Paid Tha Cost I am going back and listening to that again this week, I think that one gets alot of heat also, but for the record I bump all those albums on the regular. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:04:51 AM by d-nice »

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »
I listened to Da Game all this weekend. After all this time it still sounds rushed, just like Snoop said it took him 2 weeks to do the album, it sounds like it. The guests appearances for the most part sound forced and rushed. There ar some good tracks on it but it just did not fit his style. I think people that like more of a uniform sound from Snoop, TLM, Doggfather and Tha Last Meal score higher. TD was dope because Snoop brought it back west with Dre and others, but that album was like the first where he started working with the regulars today like Jelly Roll, Meech Wells, DJ Quik, etc. And that album just had some DOPE records on it. Paid Tha Cost I am going back and listening to that again this week, I think that one gets alot of heat also, but for the record I bump all those albums on the regular. 

co-sign, No Limit used to out out 2 albums a month, they used to record them in 2 weeks, you had to respect Master P's hustle but not everybody was like a Pac who can make a classic song in half an hour, Snoop is a dude who needs months to work on his album, that's what he did with No Limit Top Dogg and Last Meal and they came out dope

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 12:29:40 PM »
Ohhh, shit...

1. "Doggystyle"
2. "Tha Blue Carpet Treatment"
3. "No Limit Top Dogg"
4. "Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$"
5. "Tha Last Meal"
6. "Tha Doggfather"
7. "R&G (Rhythm & Gangsta): The Masterpiece"
8. "Da Game Is To Be Sold, Not To Be Told"

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »

DOGGYSTYLE - 10/10
DOGGFATHER - 9/10
TOP DOGG - 8.5/10
LAST MEAL - 8.5/10
BLUE CARPET TREATMENT - 8/10
PAID THAT COST... - 6/10
RYTHYM & GANGSTER - 6/10
DA GAME IS TO BE SOLD... - 3/10

CanadActive

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Only one GOAT... MJ
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »
1. Doggystyle -  8)

2. Tha Doggfather - Best tracks imo : Up Jump da Boogie, Sixx Minutes, Snoop's Upside ya Head, 2001, Gold Rush & Tha Doggfather so that's a lot of good song (but it's imo).

3. Tha Last Meal - It's like Snoop was in another world for a little while... Except for the Death Row days, it was (imo) the best Snoop era.  Kokane make it a classic!!!!

4. The Blue Carpet Treatment - After R&G I never tought he would come back that hard... A near perfect compromise between mainstream music and gangsta rap...

5. No Limit Top Dogg - He just dippin!!!!

6. Dead Man Walking - A lot of very good song on this one... "Gangsta Walk" is one of the hardest track ever.

7. Paid The Cost To Be The Boss - Some very good song, but after listening to the advance a was waiting for a better album...  "The Boss Would Like 2 See You" is so fucking dope tough.

8. Da Game Is To Be Sold - Too much of that No Limit sound imo... Some good song tough (Still A G Thang, Snoop World, Gin & Juice pt.2)

9. R&G - The self-called "King of The West" making an album with Lil Jon, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, Nelly & Pharrell as major guests?  WTF!!!!!!!
The Canadian Polish

Lion King

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 01:04:32 AM »
Y'all forgot about his SmokeFest World Tour album. That was a official album. And it was straight fire if you ask me - very dope album...

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 03:48:35 AM »
A lot of tracks from "Smokefest" was released on "Dead Man Walkin", you know...

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 12:40:09 AM »
UNDISPUTED CLASSIC:
-Doggystyle 5/5
STRAIGHT FIRE:
-Last Meal 4.5/5
-Top Dogg 4/5
AVERAGE:
-The Blue Carpet Treatment 3/5
VERY INCONSISTENT:
-Paid Tha Cost 2/5
-Doggfather 2/5
-The Game... 2/5
-R&G 1,5/5

If it was up to me,I would ban Snoop from working with Neptunes EVER again.
Snoop sounds best over Dr.Dre,BattleCat,Meech Wells& Fred Wreck beats.
Snoop should start to use ONLY ONE producer for each album,that would make them more consistent

Snoop should start to use ONLY ONE producer for each album,that would make them more consistent

naw, never! he should just let warren g, frewreck, battlecat, daz, meech and soopafly handle the production. that's it

Did u understand what I wrote Funkadelic?
I meant one of them for EACH album. Just a whole album by Battlecat&the next one maybe Meech&so on,each album would have it's own sound&sound consistent.
Warren should produce 213. Daz&Soopafly: DPG. This would also make each group have a more distinct sound,that's SADLY missed in Hip Hop. I think it's shame that everybody use those same"hot producers"on their albums,that make them sound like compilations

lol how many albums shall snoop drop to use all those producers? I think if he would just them for one album it would be consistent enough becuase they all make dope westcoast shit. but it will never happen so why discussing it...

How many albums shall Snoop drop  to use all those producers?

It ain't that hard,he release a couple of albums each year (solo,eastsidaz, 213,doggystyle allstars,bones OST's/compilations,the dude is mad productive) and who said snoop got to release a bunch of albums?
I rather WAIT for a QUALITY album than those INCONSISTENT albums that he put out.

I think Snoops MAIN problem is he has TOO MANY tracks,he should stick to 13-15 tracks & MINIMAL guests/producers on his albums. Hes been in the game years& worked with everybody,its bout time he thought of himself& go down ONE ROUTE/ONE CONCEPT instead of trying to please everybody with every album

I would narrow it down to ONLY 10 tracks,ONE producer,NO guests
But I guess we´re both on the same page.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:18:26 AM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:37 AM »

naw, never! he should just let warren g, frewreck, battlecat, daz, meech and soopafly handle the production. that's it
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:08 AM »

Maybe that's right, but I think Dr. Dre would be the best choice...

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 02:29:52 AM »
Soopafly's so quiet last times...