Author Topic: The West's opinion of/on the South?  (Read 2658 times)

SGV

Re: The West's opinion of/on the South?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 08:32:21 AM »

Whats wrong with saying the South is wack on a westcoast hiphop forum? Do you actually think people in here would say, ''yea the south got that dope music''. Its just a matter of different taste. So for me the south is wack cuz its not my kind of music. And i like the West better cuz they got my kind of music.

That's fine if you don't like it... No one is saying you have to like it. I'm saying, don't put a region like the South down, when you were crying when the East did it to the South, cuz you're doing the same thing (not saying you, just speaking generally). Don't down Snap/Crunk music when the West has Hyphy, which is no different. Don't down the South for having weak rappers rep commercially, cuz the West had the same.

If you want to say "the South doesn't catch my ear," that's fine. If you want to say "I'm ignorant and only like West Coast music," that's fine. But, don't come trying to hate if you have no clue what you're talking about.

Navaveli

• Lil Geezy
  • Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep Me Nine Str8
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:40 AM »
The South has stole most of the concepts of the west coast and added their twist to it, to me it sounds gay... Like everyone has stole some sort of style or concept from the west coast and made it their own, which is cool  because it shows influence but its wack when the same region that stole it (for example NYC) but they diss the west coast and dont play they records.. now that is wack, as for the south Scarface, Rap a Lot, Outkast, Luda these are some tite artists from the south but than u have a gang of wack shit that is sellin like Yung joc, that shit is so wack and i cant believe it sells.. its like even though NYC steals shit they dont make it sound that wack, hahaha.. South stole shit but they made it sound wack as hell... i know the south has influence the West is some ways too, i just think the South has some of the wackest music when it comes to Hip Hop period...

Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep my Nine Str8...

R.I.P Makaveli aka Tupac Shakur the Hip Hop Don...

Tha Cali Grizz

• 'G'
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 11:11:20 AM »
The West influence all genres of music period!

Alot of the New South stuff is just gimick music to bump in the club and to get rich quick off of a dance or whatever!  Some of it is cool though I guess!

The only South music that I can listen to and feel like there was some kind of creativity and time put into making it great music is anything that Oukast has done and/or doing!  People fail to realize that they are the ones who put the south on the map PERIOD!  Lyrics, style, creativity!  Call them what you want to but their track record speaks for itself!  You can't deny them at all!

The West had an influence on them because of the G-FUnk movement at that time but Outkast was smart enough to reform it and create a sound that was their own!

They are to the South what Tha Dogg Pound should've been to the West!  I think in that sense, we are alike but that other gimmick southern music is jus a rip off of our 808 bass and claps that we used 20 years back!

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 11:24:17 AM »
If you look almost every single person on here who says they dislike the South, they come with a very ignorant statement. Most, if not all, formulate their opinion of the South off of a hand full of artists...

i hate south shit. music is fucking whack and ridiculous especially from huston too lol paul wall and chamillionare. i dont like south clothes n dances n all that shit shits fucking whack, khakis n cortez beat all that bull shit. the west influenced  south and all rap, backin the day every1 was havin the g-funk sound like ol school outkast n ghetto boys.

Funny you say that with Daz and Kurupt in your sig. Enough said there...

no problem with the South from me, but their are many artists that rep that part of the country that cant rap shit, and is all over MTV!  thats whats gay.

Name names... [size=02pt](I'll take a guess: Mike Jones, D4L, Dem Franchise Boyz)[/size]

could you explain to me what the new bay has to do with the south? I think Messy Marv shit for example is far from south.

Are you fuckin' kidding me? Messy Marv makes a good amount of joints that scream Southern Influence.

As for Texas or Georgia, I think Texas takes the cake because aside from Outkast (which isn't really doing anything right now) all I associate with Georgia is Dem Franchize Boys, and I cannot stand snap music.

You've never heard of Goodie Mob? Pastor Troy? Da Backwudz? Bubba Sparxxx? T.I.? Young Jeezy? Seems like you haven't... Don't be ignorant... Please.

but the south has bitten the shit out the west like crazy lately i mean they got lowriders

The South, right now, isn't riding lowriders, as a majority. Maybe an artist here or there, but look at most of their videos, all their cars are sitting on big rims. Just makes me think you don't really pay attention. I think you got too much of MC Eiht's 1993 Gheri Curl juice running down your face. LMAO @ An MC Eiht fan calling Young Jeezy boring.

i see wut u saying but no one had cars and showin them off until the west came then the east came with mercedes and bentleys then the south with 28 inch rims and shit.

BUT U GONNA TELL ME THAT YOU'D RATHER LISTEN TO JEEZY INSTEAD OF MC EIHT, JEEZY IS BORIN AND ANNOYING, EIHT ISN'T THE BEST LYRICALLY BUT HE'S SMOOTH AND COOL JEEZY TRIES TOO HARD

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »
-Let's not act like The West is the only region who's inspired the other ones. The East has easily inspired the rap game more than any other region...why? Because they created it! Being that we are West Coast fans, we will always notice and point out every single thing that the south and east takes from us...but we'll ignore every single thing that we've taken from them. Black music as a whole is from the south, so they've basically inspired everything that rap has become, without even having to rap.

-SGV is right about how many cats will knock the south just as the east knocked the West in the 90's. I think the south is much too big to ever generalize, and the bad thing for them is that the companies are ONLY going to sign and push artists that have the "crunk" sound to them, just as in the 90's, there weren't many West Coast artists outside of the gangsta style who really got promoted and blew up at a major level. Just as we had Souls of Mischief and Pharcyde, the South has Little Brother, who may be known throughout the country, but will never get the respect they deserve because they aren't "commercial" enough.

-I've been in school in the south (Florida) since 2002, and I can say that there has been a whole lot that I like and dislike about the south's music scene overall. As far as the local talent I've heard around Georgia and Florida, most of the rappers just aren't up to par. However....their artists have a LOT more hustle than what I've seen from many cats on the West. Being unbiased, I have met more dope rappers in L.A. than I've met out here....but at the same time, most of these artists in L.A. don't have the hustle, business savvy, or the patience that it takes to make it and get their music out there. Many artists in the south may be average or below average as rappers, but the reason they become big is not just because of the fact that they do every single thing they can to get pushed, but because their local areas support the hell out of them.

In L.A., you'll hear a LOT, and I mean a LOOOOOOOOT of cats say this....."man...Lil Scrappy, D4l, Franchize Boyz, all them fools suck!!! I am a much better rapper than they are!! They just make catchy commercial club BS!! Eff that, my cousin is down with Aftermath, and my best friend has a connect with Def Jam, so I am gonna do this mixtape over the beats that are hottest right now, and I am gonna get signed and blow up!!!" Most of them may do a lil mixtape, but won't really put major effort into getting it out their in the community because they think they'll get signed just because their music is good, regardless of if it is or not. In the south, rappers will comment on who's dope and who's not, but they don't have that attitude that says "I am better than Wayne/Jeezy/Scrappy, therefore I deserve to be signed!!!" They will use every single connect they have, get their songs on the radio and in clubs, and keep doin it until a major company pays attention to them.

d-nice

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24:45 PM »
Man people either promoting beef with a coast to get a name or disliking a region off of 1 or 2 artists and not hearing enough of a collective group of artists. Real recognize real. The west has always been down with the south. Game, Snoop, Cube, Mack 10, Crooked I, WC, the list goes on and on artists out here collabing with Southern artists. For me, I like that Rap-A-Lot shit. Mike Dean, Mr. Lee, John Bido, N.O. Joe. Scarface's catalog is sick, Luda doin his thing, Chamillionaire, UGK there are alot of dope artists everywhere. But if you are listening to the radio or 106 and Park you probably won't find alot of these artists but they out there. That is why I was diggin the War Disc so much. N.O. Joe did like have of the album and those beats were knockin. Man a well produced southern album with a mc that can spit can hold its own with any album from any coast.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »
If you look almost every single person on here who says they dislike the South, they come with a very ignorant statement. Most, if not all, formulate their opinion of the South off of a hand full of artists...

i hate south shit. music is fucking whack and ridiculous especially from huston too lol paul wall and chamillionare. i dont like south clothes n dances n all that shit shits fucking whack, khakis n cortez beat all that bull shit. the west influenced  south and all rap, backin the day every1 was havin the g-funk sound like ol school outkast n ghetto boys.

no problem with the South from me, but their are many artists that rep that part of the country that cant rap shit, and is all over MTV!  thats whats gay.

Name names... [size=02pt](I'll take a guess: Mike Jones, D4L, Dem Franchise Boyz)[/size]

could you explain to me what the new bay has to do with the south? I think Messy Marv shit for example is far from south.

Are you fuckin' kidding me? Messy Marv makes a good amount of joints that scream Southern Influence.

As for Texas or Georgia, I think Texas takes the cake because aside from Outkast (which isn't really doing anything right now) all I associate with Georgia is Dem Franchize Boys, and I cannot stand snap music.

You've never heard of Goodie Mob? Pastor Troy? Da Backwudz? Bubba Sparxxx? T.I.? Young Jeezy? Seems like you haven't... Don't be ignorant... Please.

but the south has bitten the shit out the west like crazy lately i mean they got lowriders

The South, right now, isn't riding lowriders, as a majority. Maybe an artist here or there, but look at most of their videos, all their cars are sitting on big rims. Just makes me think you don't really pay attention. I think you got too much of MC Eiht's 1993 Gheri Curl juice running down your face. LMAO @ An MC Eiht fan calling Young Jeezy boring.

your an idiot. lol what kind of fucking nerd are you? judgin my opinion from my sig goddamn ur a dumbfuck. i ddont like artists for their new shit they comin out wit or  if they changd they style for 1 album. dumbfuck

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 01:36:07 PM »
You know what makes me laugh is the fact that most of these cats hollerin' all this "the South is that bullshit" or "I don't like so and so cuz all that Snappin is wack, but I fucks with this dude just cuz" if you go through their post history, you'll see them cry when East Coast cats said the same thing about the West. "Oh the West? Them dudes is wack." "Gangsta Rap? That's wack shit. Dudes like MC Ehit are wack, but I fuck with Souls of Mischief." This aint anything different. Fuckin hypocrites.

your a fucking idiot. obviously people have different opinions because people like different shit. dumbfuck is not being hyprocrites its what their ear likes. ur a goddamn idiot.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »
This is a good topic..

I'm actually a Southern Cali native but now a resident of Houston..

Both coasts have major talent. When they put effort into their music, they can make some classics.

The difference between both coasts is the pressure put on them. See.. NY is known for having the better lyricists so if you come from there you gotta have lyrical skills.. The West Coast is known for their hardcore/playa/pimp style so you gotta have some street credibility to be successful there.. The south doesn't have the pressure of either. So they can do whatever. They basically use everyone's style and then create their own when they skew it..

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »

your an idiot. lol what kind of fucking nerd are you? judgin my opinion from my sig goddamn ur a dumbfuck. i ddont like artists for their new shit they comin out wit or  if they changd they style for 1 album. dumbfuck

yea he did that too me bet chu he got deion sandersin his cd player right now

IT MUST BE THE MONEY

westside159

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 04:25:27 PM »
The only TIGHT DOWNSOUTH MC IS = PROJECT PAT

MISTA DONT PLAY = CLASSIC SHIT , ANY REAL CAT CAN FEEL THIS ALBUM !!!!!!!!

CROOK BY THE BOOK (THE FED STORY) = DOPE ALBUM

GHETTY GREEN = CLASSIC  -  TRACC#11  IS ONE OF THE HARDEST SONGS EVER !!!!!

Project pat i can bump all day but that new south shit is WACK !!!!!!! 8) 8)

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
i liek the old no limti and cash money i admit i used to liek lil wayne but when everybody started sayin he was the shit jus tswayed me away from him

and the old prophet posse shit was just fucking INSANE

ABN

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »
LMFAO @ the cats that said that the south stole it´s sound from the west. that shit is officially the most retarded shit i´ve ever seen. know why? coz all of that music that Dre,Quik,Cat,Warren etc sampled was from the south. so those southern rappers actually stole from the south lol.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »

Whats wrong with saying the South is wack on a westcoast hiphop forum? Do you actually think people in here would say, ''yea the south got that dope music''. Its just a matter of different taste. So for me the south is wack cuz its not my kind of music. And i like the West better cuz they got my kind of music.

That's fine if you don't like it... No one is saying you have to like it. I'm saying, don't put a region like the South down, when you were crying when the East did it to the South, cuz you're doing the same thing (not saying you, just speaking generally). Don't down Snap/Crunk music when the West has Hyphy, which is no different. Don't down the South for having weak rappers rep commercially, cuz the West had the same.

If you want to say "the South doesn't catch my ear," that's fine. If you want to say "I'm ignorant and only like West Coast music," that's fine. But, don't come trying to hate if you have no clue what you're talking about.

I get what your saying, each coast has a style of their own. And you cant hate on that. But why are you getting so worked up about this?

LiLDuVall tHe CaLi-Vanian

• 'G'
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 08:19:59 AM »
the west and the south has always been doin songs 2gether since they 90's... spice 1 mc eiht ice cube snoop, yuk,2pac all did songs wit scarface and rap a lot..e-40 mac mall too short been doin songs wit ugk and ball and G shit even deathrow had texas act on they label back in the day and bushwich bill was on the chronic. As far as the south stealin from the west coast i dont think they stole from the west i think the west sure did influence the south if u listen to old south records they do have a west coast sound to them even outkast once said they took the west coast live instrumentation and east coast lyricism for their 1st album and ugk re did a above the law record so the south was mos def influence by the west.

i like the south lil wayne dungeon family devin the dude young jeezy three six mafia luda ti etc all put out good music..and DFB D4L Joc you put them on at any club i bet you the club would go crazy cuzz thats what their meant for they aint here to put out super lyrical i read the dictionary all the time type music