Author Topic: The West's opinion of/on the South?  (Read 2672 times)

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: The West's opinion of/on the South?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
This is a good topic..

I'm actually a Southern Cali native but now a resident of Houston..

Both coasts have major talent. When they put effort into their music, they can make some classics.

The difference between both coasts is the pressure put on them. See.. NY is known for having the better lyricists so if you come from there you gotta have lyrical skills.. The West Coast is known for their hardcore/playa/pimp style so you gotta have some street credibility to be successful there.. The south doesn't have the pressure of either. So they can do whatever. They basically use everyone's style and then create their own when they skew it..

Who's style does the South use? LOL. People here keep saying the South steals this, they use that, etc. etc.  But have nothing to back it up.

When was the last time you heard a Brooklyn cat on some "It's Going Down" shit? When was the last time you heard a dude from East L.A. talk about "Get Buck" ?? I mean get real... Shit doesn't happen. Down South beats are their own, their lyrics are their own... They're slang is their own.

LMAO @ The South steals shit... Yet the West doesn't get hit for taking Crunk and turning it into Hyphy.

who used the word 'steal'?

man.. this conversation is going to end up being a "who rapped first" type of argument. And i aint trying to get into that with you homie.. Because i'm sure we can research and find some African tribe who rapped first.. So why even take it there?

my original post focuses strictly on lyrical content. Considering that rap music in general is 99% influenced by others you can't say that the south wasn't influenced by the other coasts who were doing rap music longer.

TI states his west coast influences on his last album
Geto Boys have acknowledged their influences from NWA and Run DMC.
Master P was influenced during his time in Oakland.

i can go on if you'd like, but i hope those are enough to sustain my point. :)

FLIXX

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Gardena 2 Da Fullest!!
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »
i got love 4 the south. Geto boys, Luke, Eightball & MJG, Outkast...All legends How many states is that..Texas, FL, GA, and TN. Theres no way u can't feel anything in the south.

Flixx
Flixx

SGV

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2007, 07:25:24 AM »
Look through this thread, youll see people say the South "stole."

As for your "the South has influences from the West" portion of your post. I know for a fac you would be able to find similar influences in West Coast artists (as far as Southern influence). So I dont really see where youre going with that. Everyone influences everyone.

Rappers like Yukmouth, E-40 and Messy Marv have HUGE influence from the South. Same with dudes like Snoop. If you really want to get technical, Rick Rock is from the South ans his Sound is heard on a good majority of Bay projects. Isnt Nate originally from the South as well? The influence on West from the South is here just as much as it is from the West to the South.

Most people are to ignoarant or blind to the fact that this is all true. Im not. I see every side. I dont like regions, i like music.

d-nice

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2007, 07:30:09 AM »
Music is music. If ya like it, bump it, if ya hate it, leave it alone. If the artist is dope, I could care less where they are from.

XaNdEr

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »
I dont like regions, i like music.

thats sums it all up, +1  :)

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »
I can only imagine if an East Coast cat came on here and said: "Man all that Dogg Pound, E-40, Spice 1 shit is wack! I can't believe the West got big off shit like that."

All you guys would come in here screaming blasphemy. Its the same thing. Singling out just a pocket full of artists does not make a region wack.

Theres Luda and theres D4L. Theres T.I. and theres DFB. Theres Chamilionaire and theres Mike Jones. So the "quality" cancels the "garbage" out. Why stick on the bad and just say "some of the shit from the South is not my taste, but I fuck with _____."

But coming in strictly hating is just ignorant cuz we all know if it was the other way around you guys would have a hissy fit.
LooN3y: You made a generalizing statement so I made one. Don't be mad. You look like you're a little upset now. Answer the question, do you not like Daz and Kurupt now? That answer will tell me a lot about your tastes and your thoughts.

yea i like them but their not as good as they used to be obviously. same goes out to many other old rappers but id rather bump CIA or SSDD than south bullshit.

id gives a damn if mutha fuckas hate on the west. id no1 else should give a damn too, mutha fuckas have their own opinion and if you give a damn bout what other people think your very ignorant.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

westside159

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
Im trippin off this faggot who thinks he knows something about real music - SGV , MC Eiht and soul of misheif ???  You cant even compare the two becuz who really knows souls of M ???  WHERE ARE THEY NOW ??? , Any of Eihts & CMW albums will piss on that wack bullshit  FUCC THAT CORNY SHIT , WE DONT BUMP THAT SHIT !!!!!!!!!! 

ONE OF THE BEST  DOWNSOUTH & WESTCOAST COLLABO'S EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. MC EIHT & SCARFACE - " N 2 DEEP"  off MUSIC 2 DRIVEBY  CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!1

NonchaLAnt

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »
Ur talkin bout talent? What happen'd to the day when people spit in 1/8... now people spit in quarters...Lyrics over peoples heads now adays...

west > south

Jakubs

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
As for Texas or Georgia, I think Texas takes the cake because aside from Outkast (which isn't really doing anything right now) all I associate with Georgia is Dem Franchize Boys, and I cannot stand snap music.

You've never heard of Goodie Mob? Pastor Troy? Da Backwudz? Bubba Sparxxx? T.I.? Young Jeezy? Seems like you haven't... Don't be ignorant... Please.

Fair enough. I like Goodie Mob, Pastor Troy and Bubba Sparxxx. I never really paid attention to what part of the south they were from. Not really a fan of T.I. and Young Jeezy though. I've only heard one single from Da Backwudz and didn't really care for it.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
I like a lot of south music, south + west can make great music together

http://www.dubcnm.com/audio/2006/august/dely-lean_on_the_wall-(feat-e_white-celly_cell-dresta)-(westcoast_remix)-(dubcnn).mp3

dresta murders that last verse  8)

ktothac

• 'G'
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
mainstream music sucks everywhere. but the fukin south got some of the best shit...ugk, geto boys, outkast, goodie mobb, killer mike, three 6 mafia, project pat, guerilla maab, HAWK, eightball & mjg, devin the dude, gangsta pat, the rest of screwed up click...too much good shit

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »
lol @ looney catching feelings

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 05:06:47 AM »
 Well, me being an outsider(not from west or south or even America), my view is that south is suffering from being judged from all their whack commercail artists(and theres so many of them) so people probably sleep on all rappers from that region, but my first thought when i think south is admittedly whack. But as others have stated theres alot of good south hip hop and old school south was never crunk.
 I dont just mean ghetto boys and the like i mean, i got a mate that is real inta south, most hip hop heads that i know are into eastcoast stuff and knock gangsta rap, but anyway this dude was inta south and i dont remember south being crunk or so wack, like they didnt rap all slow an shit. They always had their slang but i remember south rap all being really fast, like bone thugs an twista style, and very dark and evil/dark soundin. I guess in the old three six mafia era an names like Kamakaze, M-child, Scan man, cruchy black, Coopsta nicca, Kingpin skinny pimp shit i forget and then i remember the no limit era they seemed really wahck at frst but then i got the westcaost bad boys albums an snoop was headin over there and i realsied that dudes like mac, serve on, mystical, soulja slim , etc were pretty good.
 I always thought that west and south had similararities, well they were much more alike that west an east or south an east.
 I can seen west inflouence in south but these days westcoast rap is incredably south sounding.
 What westcoast rapper dosent have south sounding beats? and use south slang? so much south style in westcoast, snoop an DPG are good examples and of course as mentioned theres  "hypy".
 All the big guns, ice cube, snoop, doin south style tracks.
 I guess what evers hot people get influenced by and then theres marketing.
 Oh and most westcoast rappers that are lyrical are very eastcoast influenced/dont talk about gangsta shit(crooked i an exception) and rap over more east sounding beats alot of the time.
 I find most non American rap is like old school rap, sound eastcoast.
 Guess things change with the times.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:53:48 PM by KrazySumwhat »

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 06:09:27 AM »
SOUTH STRAIGHT UP MAKIN AND MADE SUM WACKEST SHIT IN HIP HOP

BUT CANT HATE  LEGENDS FROM SOUTH......... AND THERE ARE RAPPERS THAT ARE DOPE FROM SOUTH BUT DIDNT MAKE IT. STAT BOBBY CREEK ETC
MOST OF MAINSTREAM SOUTH MUSIC IS STRAIGHT UP BULLSHIT. EXCEPT FO THEM DOPE ASS CLUB SONGS .. U GOTTA HAV SUM CLUB SONGS ....

PERSONALLY I CANT STAND SOUTH CRUNK CHOPPED AND SCREWED BULLSHIT

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »
it's funny that alotta ppl who posted on here ain't even from the WestCoast, just like 95% of ppl on here aren't.  no disrespects but you can't say that this is "The Wests' opinion on the South" when most of the ppl on here are foreigners or don't even live in Cali or any states on the WestCoast.