Author Topic: Chris Cornell leaves Audioslave  (Read 1264 times)

XaNdEr

Re: Chris Cornell leaves Audioslave
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2007, 01:59:53 AM »
lol its funny to see so many people bring up dicks in arguments when they on the losing side, get those dicks outta your mouths (no homo)  :-\

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »
Music needs Rage right now. Most people in the industry are too materilistic an PUSSY to get political. the battle for los angeles is still one of my faovrites cover to cover.

ya'll remember when they played in L.A. outside of the political convention? who in the fuck else besides maybe Mos Def who do that?

damn...

i really hate politics in music, but i love Rage to the death. these guys are a lil too angry, but they have PASSION for their music and that's what i like.

Trauma-san

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »
Music needs Rage right now. Most people in the industry are too materilistic an PUSSY to get political.

Come on man.  Being political doesn't take balls.  It takes a complete misunderstanding of what music is about to get political.  There's no balls involved when 2/3rds (on a good day) of the country disagrees with the current administration, and likely a full 90% of rock music's core demographic disagrees with the administration and you make a political record.  It would take balls to make a political record that was pro-Bush at this point, not anti-Bush.... it's the easiest, safest way to make money in rock music right now. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »
Oh, and here's my thoughts about the rest of what was said on this thread. 

Standard disclaimer: of course there are bright spots in all genres of music.  For instance, while I generally think most rock sucks, Chris Cornell is still making talented music (to make it relevant to this thread).  Most of the bands that are really making good, strong music right now in rock have been around since the time of Cobain, but there are always fresh acts that pop up and take rock in nice directions.  For instance "The Black Parade" may be hella overplayed but the fact is it's a fucking fantastic song.  Franz Ferdinand are great, in my opinoin.  the White stripes are great, in my opinion. 

Most all music is derivative, and most all new rock was born out of people growing up listening to Kurt Cobain, misinterpreting his brand of Rock, and making shitty pussy music as a result.  Shit like that song "I'm looking through the glass" blah blah blah is a perfect example.  Just some guy bitching and whining about how some girl broke his heart and he's the only one that that ever happened to, apparently.  It's shallow, pretentious music that says nothing important and is almost wholely a negative experience. 

If you look @ what Kurt Cobain did, the guy was truly GREAT.  His music was born out of the Beatles, and shared the passion and creativity of their brand of rock, 30 years earlier.  He had tons of other influences like everybody does, but even his most 'serious' songs he never took seriously.  He would write poems then at the last minute randomly scramble the lines around and release it like that.   While the lyrics are interesting and do make good points, ultimately he projected a mood and a passion in his music, nothing was meant to be deep or a learning experience, it was all about being honest and portraying honest emotions that men his age went through: namely, Anger, Pain, Joy, Sorrow, Elation, etc.  Even songs meant to sound subdued like "Lithium" are burning with energy. 

So, some kid hears kurt go "I'm so happy, cuz today I shaved my head", misses the whole fucking vibe of the music, and writes some depressing shit about how horrible his life is.  That wasn't what Kurt was writing about... even songs like "Dumb" had energy and passion in them, not just negativity.

I blame the whole shitty mess on a missinterpretation of Kurt's music.  Seriously.

----------------------------------------

Most rap doesn't do it for me anymore.  Way too much hate on females for my taste.  The only rap I can really get into is intellectually 'happy' rap like something Common would do, or ghetto funny shit like 3 6 mafia would do, or totally posing almost theatre rap like Snoop or Ice Cube or somebody would do.  "3 little crips" or something like that off his last album is great because he's basically acting, it's theatre, it's like watching Rocky or Die Hard or some shit.  Anybody that actually takes theirselves seriously, though, I can't listen to.

Country Music, to me, is easily the most true, honest music around today.  Most of the bands and performers sing about common everyday things that everybody goes through, and it isn't done with any malice, most of it is meant to be hopeful and positive, and I relate much more to it.  I also of course listen to a ton of classic rock and roll, best, greatest music ever made.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2007, 12:46:14 AM »
Oh, and here's my thoughts about the rest of what was said on this thread. 

Standard disclaimer: of course there are bright spots in all genres of music.  For instance, while I generally think most rock sucks, Chris Cornell is still making talented music (to make it relevant to this thread).  Most of the bands that are really making good, strong music right now in rock have been around since the time of Cobain, but there are always fresh acts that pop up and take rock in nice directions.  For instance "The Black Parade" may be hella overplayed but the fact is it's a fucking fantastic song.  Franz Ferdinand are great, in my opinoin.  the White stripes are great, in my opinion. 

Most all music is derivative, and most all new rock was born out of people growing up listening to Kurt Cobain, misinterpreting his brand of Rock, and making shitty pussy music as a result.  Shit like that song "I'm looking through the glass" blah blah blah is a perfect example.  Just some guy bitching and whining about how some girl broke his heart and he's the only one that that ever happened to, apparently.  It's shallow, pretentious music that says nothing important and is almost wholely a negative experience. 

If you look @ what Kurt Cobain did, the guy was truly GREAT.  His music was born out of the Beatles, and shared the passion and creativity of their brand of rock, 30 years earlier.  He had tons of other influences like everybody does, but even his most 'serious' songs he never took seriously.  He would write poems then at the last minute randomly scramble the lines around and release it like that.   While the lyrics are interesting and do make good points, ultimately he projected a mood and a passion in his music, nothing was meant to be deep or a learning experience, it was all about being honest and portraying honest emotions that men his age went through: namely, Anger, Pain, Joy, Sorrow, Elation, etc.  Even songs meant to sound subdued like "Lithium" are burning with energy. 

So, some kid hears kurt go "I'm so happy, cuz today I shaved my head", misses the whole fucking vibe of the music, and writes some depressing shit about how horrible his life is.  That wasn't what Kurt was writing about... even songs like "Dumb" had energy and passion in them, not just negativity.

I blame the whole shitty mess on a missinterpretation of Kurt's music.  Seriously.

----------------------------------------

Most rap doesn't do it for me anymore.  Way too much hate on females for my taste.  The only rap I can really get into is intellectually 'happy' rap like something Common would do, or ghetto funny shit like 3 6 mafia would do, or totally posing almost theatre rap like Snoop or Ice Cube or somebody would do.  "3 little crips" or something like that off his last album is great because he's basically acting, it's theatre, it's like watching Rocky or Die Hard or some shit.  Anybody that actually takes theirselves seriously, though, I can't listen to.

Country Music, to me, is easily the most true, honest music around today.  Most of the bands and performers sing about common everyday things that everybody goes through, and it isn't done with any malice, most of it is meant to be hopeful and positive, and I relate much more to it.  I also of course listen to a ton of classic rock and roll, best, greatest music ever made.

I've never said this before but I think you may understand when I say this, I also feel classic rock is the greatest music ever made but I feel like that's why I like G funk so much because on a sonic level it as musical and appealing to the ear as really well put together classic rock like floyd,zeppelin and beatles. I'd say the same about alot of funk in the 70's like parliament, curtis mayfield, sly and the family stone.

also, I totally agree with your thoughts on modern rockers misinterpreting Cobain. I've been a huge nirvana fan for years, 'in utero' is gorgeous to me and I've always really dug the influence had on nirvana.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram