Author Topic: Nas: " GRODT was the last time it felt hip hop was alive"  (Read 2411 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: Nas: " GRODT was the last time it felt hip hop was alive"
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 04:24:13 PM »
All this bullshit about hip hop being dead is getting on my nerves.It's not dead.People are just saying it is cause they wanna look cool, I don't know.It's like a fad.

hip hop is middle aged. most acts are stagnant and real heads are waiting for the dope shit to float to the top. just like rock has been since the late 70's. nothing happens that hasn't happened before. Corporations milk phenomonons till they get stagnant and the stagnation just happened. Don't even trip.
All this bullshit about hip hop being dead is getting on my nerves.It's not dead.People are just saying it is cause they wanna look cool, I don't know.It's like a fad.

In the end its obvious this was a promotional "stunt" from Nas. Hes a smart dude.

of course getting your name anywhere is a 'promo stunt' doesn't mean he doesn't speak on some shit. why was this thread titled with the 50 reference and not the Outkast one? he said the same thing about both albums....

I like Nas music but he's just a moron... once he said " this real hip hop, not that fake 50 shit" now he said this..  :-X

he meant the fake shit 50 did post GRODT.

Well, considering the fact that the quality of hiphop music nowdays have been declining for some time now...i think its dying...it's not dead, but its getting there...if this continues..

there's always good and bad music. period. just cause more and more subpar shit is popular doesn't mean all the output from artists is whack.
-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »
50 hates on NAS every chance he gets, why is NAS givin him props?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 04:33:41 PM »

cause Nas is better than him.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »
I think Nas was on point.  GRODT was def somethin special.  Just a huge album any way you slice it.  And you had every motherfucker in the game trying to copy that blueprint to the T.  Everybody tried to cash in on those sales.  But what really happened is mainstream Hip Hop became EXTREMELY corny, uninspired, formulaic, etc.  When 50 dropped GRODT, it was fresh.  When everybody else in the game tried to mimic that formula, it was played out.  When 50 tried to do it again with The Massacre, it was extremely played out and predictable.  The problem is all these stupid motherfuckers don't realize how played out that shit is and keep trying to force it down everybody's throats.  If these fuckers would just be themselves instead of copying what the next man is doing, they might actually push some units again.

Nas is a loser

Nas has more classic albums than anybody in your sig has classic songs.  People like Cam exist because of people like Nas.

In the end its obvious this was a promotional "stunt" from Nas. Hes a smart dude.

In the end it's obvious that you know dick about Hip Hop.  Promotional stunts are nothing but hype - there's no meaning behind them, not even necessarily truth.  Just some shit to get your name in the paper.  Nas' album title absolutely caused controversy, but he truly meant everything he's said.  It's too bad that your feeble mind has been conditioned by the current mainstream no talent fucks to think that everything is purely done for promotional reasons rather than speaking from your heart.  You take an L again.

Because he's not some blind hating bitch like 50.  If something's dope, he says so.  There's lots of pussies hangin around dubcc that should take notes.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
^^^dayum!!!

SeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen TwEeeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »
^^^dayum!!!

SeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen TwEeeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

a) what does that mean?
b) why do you dislike eminem so much?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 06:56:54 PM »
^^^dope question playboy, i aint got much time right now, but imma give you an answer later! keep postin my dawg!

pz

Sikotic™

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »
Can Nas please shut the fuck up & work on another album for us to enjoy.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »
That was the definitely the highlight of this interview.  Well chosen topic title.

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »

the fuck u talkin bout, sayin its not dead seems to be the fad now a days, not the other way around

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »
Like Nas said, if you're mad he's saying, you're probably part of the reason why it's dead,

chill

real spit

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 04:31:22 AM »
I think Nas was on point.  GRODT was def somethin special.  Just a huge album any way you slice it.  And you had every motherfucker in the game trying to copy that blueprint to the T.  Everybody tried to cash in on those sales.  But what really happened is mainstream Hip Hop became EXTREMELY corny, uninspired, formulaic, etc.  When 50 dropped GRODT, it was fresh.  When everybody else in the game tried to mimic that formula, it was played out.  When 50 tried to do it again with The Massacre, it was extremely played out and predictable.  The problem is all these stupid motherfuckers don't realize how played out that shit is and keep trying to force it down everybody's throats.  If these fuckers would just be themselves instead of copying what the next man is doing, they might actually push some units again.

Nas is a loser

Nas has more classic albums than anybody in your sig has classic songs.  People like Cam exist because of people like Nas.

In the end it's obvious that you know dick about Hip Hop.  Promotional stunts are nothing but hype - there's no meaning behind them, not even necessarily truth.  Just some shit to get your name in the paper.  Nas' album title absolutely caused controversy, but he truly meant everything he's said.  It's too bad that your feeble mind has been conditioned by the current mainstream no talent fucks to think that everything is purely done for promotional reasons rather than speaking from your heart.  You take an L again.

Because he's not some blind hating bitch like 50.  If something's dope, he says so.  There's lots of pussies hangin around dubcc that should take notes.

Oh please. And you know that Nas put all his heart into it how exactly ? What are you a part of his close friends or what ? Theyve caught Nas so many times in the past few months flip flopping about wheter hip hop is alive or dead, once sucking Souths dick and once not. He knew all the  "fuck-commercial-rappers-im-proud-to-listen-to-backpackers" fans would bite right into it. And they did.

Stop acting like you got all the inside info on whos real and whos not. Fact is Nas changed his mind so many times in the past few months that its getting funny.

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 06:50:08 AM »
Totally agree. You can't deny the buzz around GRODT. Hip-Hop was exciting and, more importantly, alive then. The album is also undoubtedly one of the last real classics of the genre. It's been a minute since anything's come close to having the impact that record had and it managed to live up to all the hype.

At the same time, though, I agree with Timbo's stance on Nas' "Hip-Hop Is Dead" outburst. Whenever he's asked to develop on the whole "Hip-Hop Is Dead" theme he just provides some vague, surreal response. Check his recent interview with XXL for example. Publicity stunt or not, it was a great way of convincing people that, by buying Nas' album, they were supporting real Hip-Hop music. Let's not forget the Escobar persona, shall we?

"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Invincible

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
I think Nas was on point.  GRODT was def somethin special.  Just a huge album any way you slice it.  And you had every motherfucker in the game trying to copy that blueprint to the T.  Everybody tried to cash in on those sales.  But what really happened is mainstream Hip Hop became EXTREMELY corny, uninspired, formulaic, etc.  When 50 dropped GRODT, it was fresh.  When everybody else in the game tried to mimic that formula, it was played out.  When 50 tried to do it again with The Massacre, it was extremely played out and predictable.  The problem is all these stupid motherfuckers don't realize how played out that shit is and keep trying to force it down everybody's throats.  If these fuckers would just be themselves instead of copying what the next man is doing, they might actually push some units again.

Nas is a loser

Oh please. And you know that Nas put all his heart into it how exactly ? What are you a part of his close friends or what ? Theyve caught Nas so many times in the past few months flip flopping about wheter hip hop is alive or dead, once sucking Souths dick and once not. He knew all the  "fuck-commercial-rappers-im-proud-to-listen-to-backpackers" fans would bite right into it. And they did.

Stop acting like you got all the inside info on whos real and whos not. Fact is Nas changed his mind so many times in the past few months that its getting funny.

...If only you had some common sense. What's so hard to understand about the fact that Nas isn't looking for any beef, but he's just trying to make a statement about the state of Hip-Hop?

Saying Hip-Hop is dead is simply an overstatement. He's right about hip-hop being in a state of emergency though, wouldn't you agree?

Now, what Nas is saying, is that there's a whole bunch of people responsible to this. Jrome already pointed this out pretty well: 50 did his thing and he did something great with GRODT. And that's when things went downhill, with people creatively getting stuck.

Now you tell me, where has Nas been flip flopping around? He's saying he's responsible for the 'death' of hiphop himself; he's saying everybody who has been on some bullshit lately is guilty. That's the south, that's 50 Cent after GRODT, all of them. And he's saying he does believe in the resurrection of hiphop through it's creativity.

So, you tell me. What's the problem with Nas making a statement, which could validly be argued for?