Author Topic: Black KKK  (Read 585 times)

Elevz

Re: Black KKK
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 03:58:54 AM »
To be really fair, the author seems a bit off by simply blaming rap music for this. It seems to have become a property of the entire culture to simply cry about all injustice they suffer from...

I don't think he simply blamed rap music.

Well, to me, it looks like it. And I quote:

The Black Ku Klux Klan shows up in full force and does its best to ruin our good time. Instead of wearing white robes and white hoods, the new KKK has now taken to wearing white Ts and calling themselves gangsta rappers, gangbangers and posse members.

Just like the White KKK of the 1940s and '50s, we fear them, keep our eyes lowered, shut our mouths and pray they don't bother us.

Our fear makes them stronger. Our silence empowers them. Our lack of courage lets them define who we are. Our excuse-making for their behavior increases their influence and enables them to recruit more freely.

We sing their racist songs, gleefully call ourselves the N-word, hype their celebrity and get upset when white people whisper concerns about our sanity.

And whenever someone publicly states that the Black KKK is terrorizing black people, black neighborhoods, black social events and glorifying a negative, self-destructive lifestyle, we deny and blame the Man.

I don't want to do it anymore.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 11:54:41 AM »
"gangsta rappers"  and  "racist songs"

That's what he mentions, but not even exclusively... he just kinda threw them in a list of examples... that can't be considered him "simply blaming rap music"... in that case, that would've been a more significant/major point of his article, which it obviously wasn't. You know what I mean?
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 12:03:15 PM »
To be really fair, the author seems a bit off by simply blaming rap music for this. It seems to have become a property of the entire culture to simply cry about all injustice they suffer from...

I don't think he simply blamed rap music.

Well, to me, it looks like it. And I quote:

The Black Ku Klux Klan shows up in full force and does its best to ruin our good time. Instead of wearing white robes and white hoods, the new KKK has now taken to wearing white Ts and calling themselves gangsta rappers, gangbangers and posse members.

Just like the White KKK of the 1940s and '50s, we fear them, keep our eyes lowered, shut our mouths and pray they don't bother us.

Our fear makes them stronger. Our silence empowers them. Our lack of courage lets them define who we are. Our excuse-making for their behavior increases their influence and enables them to recruit more freely.

We sing their racist songs, gleefully call ourselves the N-word, hype their celebrity and get upset when white people whisper concerns about our sanity.

And whenever someone publicly states that the Black KKK is terrorizing black people, black neighborhoods, black social events and glorifying a negative, self-destructive lifestyle, we deny and blame the Man.

I don't want to do it anymore.

well this is true, there are racist rap songs, check out dead prez for example, it definitely contributes to a certain extent, thats why he mentions it, but he didnt blame rap music overall in this article.
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

Elevz

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »
"gangsta rappers"  and  "racist songs"

That's what he mentions, but not even exclusively... he just kinda threw them in a list of examples... that can't be considered him "simply blaming rap music"... in that case, that would've been a more significant/major point of his article, which it obviously wasn't. You know what I mean?

Yeah, I see what you mean there. Perhaps the formulation I chose was a bit off, but basically that's what it comes down to:

In the article, the author is actually talking about a cultural development: random young blacks crying out against what they experience as injustice.
But how imposing is the influence 'gangbangers and posse members' have on the view points of a whole culture? That's minimum. The author has a good reason to simplify the causes of this behavior, because gangstarappers are actually influential, whereas 'gangbangers and posse members' purely exercise local 'terrorism'. Their influence isn't even comparable. And the author really does simplify the causes, as he does go on about gangstarap, while leaving the gangbangers and posse members behind:

And is he right? I don't even know - but I do sense some truth in his words. The way the icons of young black people use their influential powers is usually far from role model-esque. Yet they are viewed that way.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 04:55:31 PM »
great read. thanks.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008