Author Topic: Concert sales highest in years, yet record sales down.... Cause: internet...  (Read 244 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I read in the news that concert sales had their highest numbers last year.  And ofcourse, record sales have been down now for the last few years.

This is the effect of internet on the industry.  The artists are actually gaining more popularity because they are able to reach a larger market through the internet.  Therefore, their concert sales are up; however, most of the people aren't actually buying their records they are simply downloading songs.  So ofcourse, sales are down.

The internet is a curse and a blessing, because the blessing is we have forums like this one; where you can interact with other hip-hop heads from all over the world and share info/songs from our favorite artists... the curse is that the industry isn't able to generate as much money and artists like a Canibus or Rass Kass for example get dropped from major labels because instead of selling gold, now they get downloaded so severely that they can only sell like 100,000.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
artist though make more money off tours than CD sales. Labels make more money off sales, as artist actually go into debt to release one. BUT, because of royalities, they break even, and some make a profit, and then concert sales are their main source of income. Come on, if artist didn't make money, you think Michael Jackson would have toured, he sold millions, and still toured 'cause that's where the money is for artist. Ras Kass went in debt trying to release a CD. Had he released it and went platnum, he'd make a small profit, but the concerts make him a rich. I think the internet is helping artist, the issue now is how to make a profit out of it, as I stopped DLing my music a few years ago to support artist, but in reality I'm mainly supporting labels. But without large labels, you aren't getting that quality you want from a Dr. Dre song with the million dollar studio. So it's up in the air, but I think the internet is good. Just hard to count DLs and make money off of it.

jeromechickenbone

Where is your proof?  I know there were numerous concerts that were cancelled because they couldn't sell tickets.  The only acts that were selling were the staples like U2, Rolling Stones, Eagles, or whatever.  It was the contemporary acts that couldn't sell tix and thats because the vast majority are no talent ass clowns.

Elevz

I wonder what you mean by concert sales. Is that the total amount of money paid for tickets, or simply the amount of tickets sold?

I don't know why we should care about record sales declining. I'm not buying a cd for €20 just to support an artist, when I know only €0,30 will make its way to the actual artist. The rest goes to the money hungry labels. And I know without the support of these labels it'll be a hard for these artists to maintain, but the whole process just doesn't make any sense.

So they have to make their money by doing concerts. Good. That turns the recording studio artist into a performer/entertainer. Besides that, hasn't it always been like this for the artists? It's just that they make less money off of album sales, but what's wrong with that?

Fonky Fresh

its cool like this now niggas got to show & prove "again" 'n if they don't sell tickets for their concerts that means there is a big problem with them, period.
i like the way it is & i also like no giving my money to labels which develop the crappy sound i don't wanna hear.
the more artists go independant,the more i feel happy and you should be too
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
This is the effect of internet on the industry.  The artists are actually gaining more popularity because they are able to reach a larger market through the internet.  Therefore, their concert sales are up

The internet's got nothing to do with. The top concert grossing acts are all well established acts with years wirk of hits and a great reputation of putting on killer shows. Rolling Stones, Maddonna, Streisand, Dave Mathews Band, Roger Waters, The Peppers etc. And they make so much ebcause they have such a strong fanbase of people over 35 years old tat have no problem shelling out anywhere in between $150 to $400 per ticket.

I don't see one new band or artist with low album sales due to the internet even make a dent in the top grossing concerts list. The newest guy is Kenny Chesney but he goes back ten years and still has no problem going multi-platinum. Nickrelback accordng to Forbes made more money on album sales than they did touring last year.

jeromechickenbone

its cool like this now niggas got to show & prove "again" 'n if they don't sell tickets for their concerts that means there is a big problem with them, period.
i like the way it is & i also like no giving my money to labels which develop the crappy sound i don't wanna hear.
the more artists go independant,the more i feel happy and you should be too

I agree 100%.  Just give it another couple years and the record industry will be completely crippled and everybody will  have to go indie.  The music will be so much better.

jeromechickenbone

This is the effect of internet on the industry.  The artists are actually gaining more popularity because they are able to reach a larger market through the internet.  Therefore, their concert sales are up

The internet's got nothing to do with. The top concert grossing acts are all well established acts with years wirk of hits and a great reputation of putting on killer shows. Rolling Stones, Maddonna, Streisand, Dave Mathews Band, Roger Waters, The Peppers etc. And they make so much ebcause they have such a strong fanbase of people over 35 years old tat have no problem shelling out anywhere in between $150 to $400 per ticket.

I don't see one new band or artist with low album sales due to the internet even make a dent in the top grossing concerts list. The newest guy is Kenny Chesney but he goes back ten years and still has no problem going multi-platinum. Nickrelback accordng to Forbes made more money on album sales than they did touring last year.

And they have such a strong fanbase because their music has transcended time and fads.  There's actually something tangible.  Something that the majority of mainstream music today is completely devoid of.

kevlar

• 'G'
maybe record sales would increase if they MADE BETTER ALBUMS.  duh
"jack of all trades
gotta get my chips
manipulate yo broad
put her up on craigs list"

jeromechickenbone

u fucking asshole, the labels explicitly dictate that all horrid faliures of the industry be blamed on the internet. did you not get the memo?

kevlar

• 'G'

u fucking asshole, the labels explicitly dictate that all horrid faliures of the industry be blamed on the internet. did you not get the memo?

hahaha yeah i read the memo.  but i don't believe everything i read. 

"jack of all trades
gotta get my chips
manipulate yo broad
put her up on craigs list"

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The internet is killing music, but its only responsible for maybe 60%. The other 40% is, NOTHING is worth buying. I've bought 5 albums this year and downloaded over 100. And guess what, the only 5 I liked I bought. Music quality is down because the business is a joke. The whole process of making music through major labels leads to trash. Independent music is better, and is better for the artist.

I don't buy albums because I don't support the quality. I'm not paying 20$ for an album if the artist only gets 1$. Its ridiculous.

Also, I would go to more concerts but seriously, 200$ to see Snoop? Concert prices are insane.

Elevz

I don't buy albums because I don't support the quality. I'm not paying 20$ for an album if the artist only gets 1$. Its ridiculous.

Also, I would go to more concerts but seriously, 200$ to see Snoop? Concert prices are insane.

What the fuck? I went to see Snoop in 2004 and back then the most expensive tickets were 'only' €47 ($37,50). Then again: he only had Soopafly, Charlie Wilson and his band with him, so that might cause a difference. Its just... I wasn't aware of such an explosion in the marketing value of good old Snoopy.

ABN

most of the cats that i listen to have indie structured deals with majors or their indie. and then you should definently support them coz that means that a lot of the money goes into the artists pocket. and the thing with all y´all idiots talking about goin to concerts instead of buying the albums. well y´all do realize that the artists gotta pay for the tours and shit in advance right? and how do y´all think their gonna be able to do that if they don´t have any money to begin with? and most artists don´t make the money that y´all think they do coz these days the labels are caking in on the tours aswell coz like i said most artists can´t afford to pay the advances to contractors and workers etc. and then they gotta go the label for support and then they won´t make the money they used to make from touring. i´ve interned at a record company(for 6 months)so i know how this shit really works and at the end the only person getting fucked is the artist coz there´s a lose/lose situation for them. but i do agree that artists themselves need to start putting out quality albums coz that´s the only way they gonna survive coz most consumers are tired of spending 15 bucks for 3-4 good songs. i download albums and everything but i also go out and support all of the artists that i like, and i´d support all artists if they didn´t sell their asses to their lables for a couple of peanuts.