Author Topic: Your Explanation Of Why T.I. Sold Records?  (Read 1790 times)

Lunatic

Your Explanation Of Why T.I. Sold Records?
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:12:58 PM »
first off, let me start off by saying that i am NOT a hater (T.I. is actually my fav. rapper). But i find his #s intresting (topped 06' for a rapper, and still has a 300,000 lead on jay-z).

Why did he sell? alot of theories can easily be wiped away. Some people think he is cheesy and would compare him 2 D4L, DFB, Yung Joc, Jibbs, Young Dro etc. (personally i wouldn't, he's much better then those mentioned). But if we can't agree on that explain this:

alot of that "snap" shit flopped. D4L flopped, Dro flopped, Jibbs flopped. Joc was only 1 who did decent #s (styll around 1 mill behind T.I.) and I *THINK* DFB JUST hit gold.

Why did T.I. sell so many records? what you know was big, but so was "shoulder lean", "laffy taffy", "chain hang low"

I've actually argued this with friends.

what are your thoughts?
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Big B

Re: Your Explanation Of Why T.I. Sold Records?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »
hes a good rapper who doesnt relly on a gimmick?

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
hes a good rapper who doesnt relly on a gimmick?

so your saying he's simply just ahead of the mainstream pack (good)? or that he's bad, and leads the mainstream pack (bad)?

d-nice

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
first off, let me start off by saying that i am NOT a hater (T.I. is actually my fav. rapper). But i find his #s intresting (topped 06' for a rapper, and still has a 300,000 lead on jay-z).

Why did he sell? alot of theories can easily be wiped away. Some people think he is cheesy and would compare him 2 D4L, DFB, Yung Joc, Jibbs, Young Dro etc. (personally i wouldn't, he's much better then those mentioned). But if we can't agree on that explain this:

alot of that "snap" shit flopped. D4L flopped, Dro flopped, Jibbs flopped. Joc was only 1 who did decent #s (styll around 1 mill behind T.I.) and I *THINK* DFB JUST hit gold.

Why did T.I. sell so many records? what you know was big, but so was "shoulder lean", "laffy taffy", "chain hang low"

what are your thoughts?

Well it's not like T.I. just sold 1.5 mil out of nowhere. Trap Musik I think went gold, Urban Legend went platinum and this last one is this biggest to date. He had a movie out around the time of his album, although this is bad publicity his friend was killed, he had that on going thing with is he beefing with Ludacris or not, and he picked some nice singles to promote the album so I think the work put in to promote paid off. And hip hop fans down south are very loyal customers so he was able to increase and appeal to a bigger audience.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:56:08 PM by d-nice »

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »

what are your thoughts?

Well it's not like T.I. just sold 1.5 mil out of nowhere. Trap Musik I think went gold, Urban Legend went platinum and this last one is this biggest to date. He had a movie out around the time of his album, although this is bad publicity his friend was killed, he had that on going thing with is he beefing with Ludacris or not, and he picked some nice singles to promote the album so I think the work put in to promote paid off. And hip hop fans down south are very loyal customers so he was able to increase and appeal to a bigger audience.

Just for a heads up, Trap Muzik i believe has been certified plat. It was 997,000 last time I heard about it, so i'm assuming it past that 1 mill mark. Even if not, I think it's fair to give him that 3,000 stretch lol. Urban Legend did sell 1.3 mill, that is correct. Imagine if he had an impact of a 3rd single (ASAP/Motivation are great songs, but were bad single choices. Get Loose would of been great, very club oriented tracks, and at the time T.I. & Nelly were touring, so they could of even performed it together). True, the movie sure as hell helped. yes, his friend died, and (sadly) any publicity is good publicity. The beef with luda was kinda dated when King came out, but Flip's wasnt, and he sure as hell won that beef. It was indeed 1 of the most promoted albums of the year. that's the best explanation so far d-nice, props ;D

d-nice

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »

what are your thoughts?

Just for a heads up, Trap Muzik i believe has been certified plat. It was 997,000 last time I heard about it, so i'm assuming it past that 1 mill mark. Even if not, I think it's fair to give him that 3,000 stretch lol. Urban Legend did sell 1.3 mill, that is correct. Imagine if he had an impact of a 3rd single (ASAP/Motivation are great songs, but were bad single choices. Get Loose would of been great, very club oriented tracks, and at the time T.I. & Nelly were touring, so they could of even performed it together). True, the movie sure as hell helped. yes, his friend died, and (sadly) any publicity is good publicity. The beef with luda was kinda dated when King came out, but Flip's wasnt, and he sure as hell won that beef. It was indeed 1 of the most promoted albums of the year. that's the best explanation so far d-nice, props ;D

Wow I did not know Trap Musik sold that much. I think the Ludacris thing created a buzz because most people wanted to see them battle each other. The Flip beef did create alot of interest and he did alot of side projects with Diddy and wasn't he a model for Sean John or Rocawear for a little bit? I am bumping King right now and What You Know About That was a CRAZY song. Live In The Sky is ironic that it is on the album and his friend died so it was the perfect song to drop as a tribute and a single. Everything fell right into place for him last year, but the earlier records set it up also.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 09:14:39 PM »
He sells cause the South supports their own music like no other region does.

Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »

what are your thoughts?

Wow I did not know Trap Musik sold that much. I think the Ludacris thing created a buzz because most people wanted to see them battle each other. The Flip beef did create alot of interest and he did alot of side projects with Diddy and wasn't he a model for Sean John or Rocawear for a little bit? I am bumping King right now and What You Know About That was a CRAZY song. Live In The Sky is ironic that it is on the album and his friend died so it was the perfect song to drop as a tribute and a single. Everything fell right into place for him last year, but the earlier records set it up also.

Yea, Trap Muzik did decent #s. But it did have 4 videos. he was a model for rocawear, not to sure about the sean john thing. What You Know is NUTS. the beat is another level man. Yea, Live In The Sky was a good single, used more as a tribute, not a good commercial song. Defanitely What You Know & Why You Wanna set the sales up. 1 of my my fav. things about T.I. is how he fucks with the same ppl for the most part over & over. He didn't tap no big name producers for these singles. What You Know was produced by DJ Toomp who has already done a shit load of T.I. singles in the past (even before he blew up). Why You Wanna was produced by a grand hustle in-house producer. I also believe Keith Mack (live in the sky producer) is a grand hustle in-house producer.

to the last post: why didn't d4l sell then? shit, they from the exact same hood as T.I.

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 09:27:33 PM »
D4L is GABBAGE! Tried to make it big off of a pop ass single. The days of that are over. I was praying to God they album would not go gold or platinum.

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »
D4L is GABBAGE! Tried to make it big off of a pop ass single. The days of that are over. I was praying to God they album would not go gold or platinum.

same. it didn't even hit gold. believe it or not, i know people who will say the following: "man fuck rap, fuck d4l, dfb, yung joc, jibbs, T.I.". to me, T.I. don't belong in the same sentence as those ppl, but whatever. also d-nice me & you always talk bout promoting your record, puttin shit out, and T.I. is 1 of the best at that.

--I'm Serious - 2 videos. the album flopped. when arista denied him the budget to shoot a 2nd video, he used his own $ 2 do so.
--trap muzik -  4 videos. the last video got play well in2 the time that his 1st single off his next album was debuting. the album held a buzz for well over a year on t.v...how many rappers do that?
--urban leged - 3 videos. throw in that his 2nd single, got a bit of play at the end of his 1st single, and he also used his 3rd single as a split video for 2 songs off the album
--king - been mentioned with all the promotion

the only other project that didn't get enough promotion besides i'm serious (which wasn't his fault) was the p$c project.

d-nice

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »
Aww hell nah, they did go gold.

D4L DOWN FOR LIFE 03/31/06 ATLANTIC G ALBUM GROUP Std

Oh well, I don't even know why they took Nas' Hip Hop Is Dead line personally. They ain't hip hop.

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »

Oh well, I don't even know why they took Nas' Hip Hop Is Dead line personally. They ain't hip hop.

damn. you know how them labels do though sometimes, say 1 of there records went gold, and it didn't really hit 500,000. Ice Cube & E-40 both had there labels certify them gold quite before they had hit the 500,000 plateau

d-nice

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 09:43:16 PM »

damn. you know how them labels do though sometimes, say 1 of there records went gold, and it didn't really hit 500,000. Ice Cube & E-40 both had there labels certify them gold quite before they had hit the 500,000 plateau

True. RIAA goes by shipped units.

Lunatic

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:43:57 PM »

True. RIAA goes by shipped units.

yea, that bothers me. I understand why, but still. LL Cool J was "certified gold" when dude was at like 350,000 MAX :-\

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »
well i think it's a combination of this:

1. the south supports their music (chitlins circuit anyone?)
2. the south is popular within the music industry particularly Atlanta~TI= atlanta hip hop right now
3. he's very mild on the gimmicky fag trends, so it's ok for guys to like him
4. every black girl i know wants to get dicked down by him so girls like him
5. being in a hood movie helps alot

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09