Author Topic: Your Ranking Of Ice Cube's Catalog 1-7  (Read 232 times)

Lunatic

Your Ranking Of Ice Cube's Catalog 1-7
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
alright y'all. Just wondering were you put which albums were. keep in mind this is all opinion people.

1. Death Certificate - his best work. includes classic tracks like The Wrong Ni**ga To Fuck Wit, Givin Up The Nappy Dugout, Horny Lil Devil, Us, & ofcourse No Vaseline. also a handful of dope records. i'm feelin 12/15 tracks on this album, and that says alot.

2. The Predator - A tough choice between 2 & 3 but I decided to go with this 1. It Was A Good Day is the greatest hip-hop song of all time. This also includes classics like The Predator & Gangsta's Fairytale Pt.2. Also a very consistent album, with me enjoying 9/12 tracks possible.

3. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - his first solo after leaving N.W.A. The Ni**ga Ya Love To Hate, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, Once Upon a Time In The Projects & The Bomb are my fav. tracks off it. also a very consistent album, i dis-like 3 of the 11 songs. What puts it behind The Predator in my mind, is it's length. It's pretty short for a LP.

4. Laugh Now, Cry Later - This may raise some eyebrows, but I think it was really good. Lacks the consistentcy some of the others have, but alot of personal classics on here for me. Why We Thugs, Child Support, Go To Church, Growing Up, Chrome & Paint are all 5/5 tracks for me. Keep in mind that just because these are all 5/5 tracks for me, it doesn't mean there on the same level as It Was a Good Day or Once Upon a Time In The Projects.

5. Lethal Injection - I Rank it so low, althought it is very consistent, there's only 1 personal classic on here for me, and thats you know how we do it. but there are alot of dope records on here, and it's consitenty is the reason i rank it higher then the last 2, although they got more classics.

6. War & Peace 1 - I know alot of people hate on this. I find it to be a very dark album, and perhaps thats what most dis-like about it. I compare it Xzibit's WOMD record (which also got alot of hate) and i think both are decent. Ask About Me, Cash Over Ass, Once Upon a Time In The Projects 2, If I Was Fuckin You are all great songs. its consistenty is a problem, im only feelin 9/17 tracks.

7 War & Peace 2 - Just because I rank it last, doesn't mean its not good. Thats the beauty of Cube's catalog, no wack albums IMO. Hello, Until We Rich, You Can Do It, Can You Bounce are the classics. I know I keep repeating this, but CONSISTENTCY. I only bump 7/14 songs, and 50% is the reason it ranks at the bottom to me

Also lets not forget the greatest EP ever released, Kill at Will. Didn't put in on the list, because it ain't an LP. same story with Bootlegs & B-Sides. It's cool, some of the remixes are done well, others not so, and it's original material is also pretty average. Also his greatest hits is nice, with cool fresh material.

Top 10 Ice Cube Songs:

1. It Was A Good Day
2. Once Upon A Time In The Projects
3. No Vaseline
4. Hello
5. You Know How We Do It
6. $100 Bill Ya'll
7. Wrong Ni**ga To Fuck Wit
8. Jackin For Beats
9. Child Support
10. We Be Clubbin

Leave your opinions ;)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

d-nice

Re: Your Ranking Of Ice Cube's Catalog 1-7
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
AMW
Death Certificate
Predator
Lethal Injection
War
Peace
LNCL

But out of all the albums I bump War the most. War's production was ahead of its time man.

Eiht_s Biggest Fan

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:48:13 PM »
AMW
Kill At Will
Death Certificate
Predator
dont give a damn about the rest...

d-nice

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »
I think by War, Ice Cube's lyrical content changed alot. By then the "Don Mega" persona was in full effect. But that persona was at it's height with War. He was a BEAST on War. I think Laugh Now Cry Later is a nice balance, but I think this next album he is going to top what he did on LNCL. He experimented with the indie game and now knowing the ins and outs he will be bringing some serious heat.

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
I think by War, Ice Cube's lyrical content changed alot. By then the "Don Mega" persona was in full effect. But that persona was at it's height with War. He was a BEAST on War. I think Laugh Now Cry Later is a nice balance, but I think this next album he is going to top what he did on LNCL. He experimented with the indie game and now knowing the ins and outs he will be bringing some serious heat.

yea, his lyrical content defanitely changed on war. his whole sound changed, and i think thats what rubbed people the wrong way. LNCL was very good, and it was extremely successful for an indie project as well.

d-nice

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
I am listening to the Peace disc and the thing about that album for me at least was that Ice Cube said in a interview even before War dropped that the Peace Disc was going to be more politically conscious. And I think that is where Cube is at his best. His gangsta shit is hard too, but this album ended up being a party album. A damn good one at that. See that is the thing for me about Cube, even when he tries new concepts, he can make them work most of the time. I would have never guessed he would have made a song like We Be Clubbin back in the day and that is still one of his biggest records.

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 01:59:07 PM »
I am listening to the Peace disc and the thing about that album for me at least was that Ice Cube said in a interview even before War dropped that the Peace Disc was going to be more politically conscious. And I think that is where Cube is at his best. His gangsta shit is hard too, but this album ended up being a party album. A damn good one at that. See that is the thing for me about Cube, even when he tries new concepts, he can make them work most of the time. I would have never guessed he would have made a song like We Be Clubbin back in the day and that is still one of his biggest records.

Yea. Hello doesn't really fit in with the rest of that album. Yea, Cube's work is most effective when he's doing the politcal thing. He's an all around rapper for sure. Gangsta rapper, with a political twist, and can still get a party jumpin. He can make anything work.

d-nice

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »
Cube was lyrically killin The Gutter Shit on Peace. I think his earlier work speaks for itself but alot of his stuff after Lethal Injection and Westside Connection is slept on.

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 02:02:38 PM »

Yea. Hello doesn't really fit in with the rest of that album. Yea, Cube's work is most effective when he's doing the politcal thing. He's an all around rapper for sure. Gangsta rapper, with a political twist, and can still get a party jumpin. He can make anything work.

You could tell Ice Cube put that on to give the album a big push. He hooked back up with Dre, the whole NWA reunion was talked about and it was a good 2nd single after Until We Rich. And lyrically Cube was spittin quotables. It would have fit better on War but it made Peace that much better.

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 02:03:48 PM »
Cube was lyrically killin The Gutter Shit on Peace. I think his earlier work speaks for itself but alot of his stuff after Lethal Injection and Westside Connection is slept on.

yea for sure it's slept on. His last 3 solos have had mostly mixed feelings. Also Terrorist Threats as well. I personally think it 1 dope ass album. Production on it is sooo nice. To me, this was the return of cube really spitting. Hooks from Nate Dogg, Knoc, & Butch Cassidy as well were really nice. All 3 KILLED the tracks they were on.

d-nice

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
Yeah his group projects Cube brings the heat. I like the recent albums because he was using different producers and the beats were on point on his later stuff. Lyrically like I said the subject matter changed alot and his flow here and there was not as sharp but I think alot of that had to do with he became involved in movies real heavy.

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »
Yeah his group projects Cube brings the heat. I like the recent albums because he was using different producers and the beats were on point on his later stuff. Lyrically like I said the subject matter changed alot and his flow here and there was not as sharp but I think alot of that had to do with he became involved in movies real heavy.

yea flow was dope on his earlier shit. fuck cube, if you gonna do movies at least give us another friday :D

for a while there I thought it was gonna happen, but im losing hope agian :-X

d-nice

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »

yea flow was dope on his earlier shit. fuck cube, if you gonna do movies at least give us another friday :D

I think he does the Friday series out of interest for the movie. He said he would do it if everyone else is down to do it. I think it is whatever to him. If it makes money then lets do it. I can't wait to see what he has in store for his next solo, WC's solo and if Westside Connection get back together.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:50:39 PM by d-nice »

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »
AMW
Death Certificate
Predator
Lethal Injection
War
Peace
LNCL

But out of all the albums I bump War the most. War's production was ahead of its time man.

Co-sign! But I would put Death Certificate above AMW.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 03:01:34 PM »

I think he does the Friday series out of interest for the movie. He said he would do it if everyone else is down to do it. I think it is whatever to him. If it makes money then lets do it. I can't wait to see what he has in store for his next solo, WC's solo and if Westside Connection get back together.

Yea, I also can't wait for his next solo & the WC solo. Sadly, I honestly have no hope on a westside connection re-union :'(

I just feel like all 3 have moved on