Author Topic: What Do You Want From An Album?  (Read 1387 times)

XL Middleton

• Crown City Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
What Do You Want From An Album?
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »
Yeah that's right I have officially started a general discussion topic :o although I'm not gonna lie I'm also asking this question because I wanna hear from THE PEOPLE on what could possibly make my next project better to your ears...but in general, what is it that YOU want out of an album? What qualities...replay value? original concepts? innovative production?

Im NOT tryin 2 discuss what you think SHOULD go into an album...in other words I'm not thinking about "commercial viability" or "radio/club friendly" or "you gotta make girls like it" as answers here...i'm talking about what you personally want out of an album to make it a great listening experience. think about some of your all time favorite albums from the past and what qualities they had that made you love those records so much...

I try my best to be an artist of the people so I wanna make an album for the people.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 01:17:41 PM by XL Middleton »
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
YOUTUBE.COM/XLMIDDLETONMUSIC
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON

RAIDErs of the lost ark

Re: What Do You Want From An Album?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:38:44 PM »
I'd like to see more albums with just one producer taking care of all the production. I'm tired of those compilation sounding album with all the hottest producers and it would dope if it was a in-house producer that actually sits and work with dudes in the studio,not some hired dude that mail his beats.
All the albums out,got the same producers and features,fuck that shit. Cut the shit down to 10 bangin tracks(the old school way),fuck the fillers

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:50:39 PM »
I just want good music. I'm tired of artist putting out songs with 5 good songs, 7 skits, and 6 fillers. And I'm tired of artist putting out albums with a guest feature on damn near every song. A lil bit of originality wouldn't hurt either.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

ABN

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 01:58:07 PM »
i want consistency, iīd much rather hear a solid album with no weak tracks and no super standout tracks then an album with 4 real good songs,4 average songs,3 mediocre songs and 6 wickedy wack songs. and i wanna hear real deep and personal lyrics and beats that donīt sound like all the hits you hear on the radio all day. and i want artists and producers actually being in the studio togheter while recording the songs coz that e-mailing back and forth is taking the soul outta music coz the artists doesnīt have any guidance. i wanna hear a whole bunch of different cocepts flipped(not talking about how tough you are and how you sell drugs and bust your gun on every fucking song!). i want musical diversity but at the same time i donīt want the album to be all over the place. if you listen to a Dre produced album from front to back you might get a good idea of what iīm talking about. find a dope sound and use it in different ways. hope i made any sense lol.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
All the three before me wrote som real shit.

kemizt

everlast1986

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »
I like a little variety on an album but with the same type of vibe not like 10 different sounding producers on an album.

More guest features on an album is good for promotion and more stuff to look forward to hearing on an album so too many guest features doesn't really bother me unless they are the wrong guest for a certain song.

Add the songs you recorded for an album that you really liked and what you know the people will really like and not the songs you liked but didn't really like as much as your favorite songs. If it means just putting out eps if its too much work to get the quality you want do that.

ABN

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »
damn, i hadnīt even read Raideīs post when i posted my shit. and thatīs also how most of friends feels aswell.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 02:24:50 PM »
I want an album that spreads a special kind of feeling from the first to the last tracks. You wnat examples?
DJ Quik - Safe + Sound
3X Krazy - Stackin Chips
U.D.I - Under Da Influence
MC Eiht - We Come Strapped
Roscoe - I Luv Cali
Lil Rob - Twelve Eighteen Part 2
Messy Marv - Bandannas, Tattoos & Tongue Rings

Look, I also named some newer albums to show that also albums that aren't from the golden age of 1992-1998 can be dope cause they are consistent.
And I wish me some funk. Deep basslines with Vibe like in "Keep It On The Real" of 3X Krazy for example, I hate to hear stupid bass sounds so often like for example on "Get A Light" off the new Snoop record, the same tone all over the song. I also miss the "gangsta whine" these days, funky worm sound you know? Funky synthesizer sound.
The best thing you can do these days, let your album be produced 100% by Fingazz :P
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
consistentcy man
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Blu Lacez

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 02:43:46 PM »
Well Lyrics aside!! ;D
i would like consistency, have the same vibe flowing through from the first track dwon to the last.
I'd also like the tracks to follow one another..not literarly, but make it sound like you are telling a story on your album-if that makes sense.

As for the Producers, I think 2 or three producers from the same muscial background would add the extra flava to the album, the reason why i say this becasue, there are various ways-if you are creative to make a funk or g-funk-ish kinda track...that it will sound totatly different to the next producer, but still be on that same vibe, but uniquely different!

Features, are Good!!
Im still unsure, on the number of tracks an artist should feature, however 4 or 5 is alright..
if these tracks, are sprinkled correct over the album i.e **don't put all the collabos togeter  one after another**

As for beats??
What is a good beat???
I don't know...something smooth, something thumping, funky, laidback..catchy..
Im not personally looking for an outstanding collection of beats, but something that would make the buyer feel that, this purchase was not a waste, but actually value  for money!

I make beats, too..so i know how tricky it is, to work on a track, thinking it's tigt, and some artist turns rounds  says it's wack or something.

In addition to the above paragraph, the album, has to be a guide and referrence point,to look up to when other producers are working hard on thier own unique styles..
Not copying of course ;D, but trying to understand why the producer took a certain path and the instruments that they used in creating that album.

In a nut shell, im looking for an album, i can enjoy... as a fan!
An Album, i can learn alot from the Producers,Mixers Sound Engineers!
And finally an album, i can place as a unique referrecne point, as a Good Album, nicely put together by everybody on board!! (Producer (s), Artist(s), Mixers & Sound Engineers)

Thats me!!

Blu
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:33:25 PM by Blu Lacez »

T-Dub

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
Non-formulaic:  Too many people divide up their album with tracks for the ladies, the clubs, the thugs, etc.  Make a record for yourself not for everyone else, don't just do what sells.  If a track is genuine other people will relate because it's real and if it's good it's going to stand out.  

Concept albums are nice.  Creativity and originality are also appreciated, right now everyone is trying to sound like or mimic whoever is on top.

Everybody loves good production but the lyrics need to be on par with the production; too many artists let the beats do all the work.  "Young rappers lookin' for pocket change with boo-boo lyrics, Go get your diaper changed" You can have a banger and still have dope lyrics.  

Albums should be an experience.  I was reading an article or an interview on here not too long ago talking about Quincy Jones and Thriller.  He recorded a grip of songs and narrowed it down to about 12 and chose the favorite 4-5 and the bottom 4-5 to give the album a rollercoaster effect (highs and lows and stuff that pulls the listener in).  It's dope to have an album where every track is heat but it's also dope to have an album that you can sit back and visualise like a movie because of the way it flows.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 03:14:59 PM »
In general terms, here's what a prefer:

Subject matter  - It can be a song about anything, as long as it's an independant perspective.  I don't have to have gone through the shit, just be able to relate to what you're saying.  Please don't beat me over the head with played out cliche's.  Boasting about how great you are and being the king, or claiming your taking over is played out as well.

Features - I don't mind a feature or 2, or especially a posse cut.  But please don't sell me a goddamn compiliation masquerading as a solo album.  All that tells me is you're not skilled enough to hold down an entire album by yourself.

Lyrics / Delivery / Flows - People today don't even know what a tight flow is.  You can rhyme about cat litter and come off dope if your flows and delivery are tight.  RAP ON TIME!!!!  Don't be lazy and talk over a beat.  Don't try and be cool and freestyle your way through a song for an album.  I know it seems cool to claim that you don't have to write your lyrics in the booth, but, who gives a fuck when your shit sounds retarded, rushed, and sloppy.  Lyrically, don't beat me over the fucking head w/ 1000 metaphors and punchlines.  Those things should be like ketchup to the hamburger.  If used sparingly in a song, it can have a great effect.  If your album is relying on one liners repeated over and over, you're wack.  Save that shit for a battle. 

Production - Using one producer for an album is almost unheard of today which is a huge reason albums aren't cohesive.  I can stand more than one, but a lot of albums struggle and have no difinitive sound because there's 15 producers on 15 tracks.  Stay the fuck away from superproducers.  There's about 20 producers that are used on nearly every mainstream release today.  How people can still get hyped for that blows my mind.  If you have your own in house production, you have something unique that NO ONE else has.  That is a good thing for an artist.

Also, don't email beats and verses back and forth.  There needs to be an organic creativity in making music.  If you email shit back and forth, there just feels like something is missing. 

Album Structure - An intro is cool, a skit or two is ok as long as it ties into the album nicely, not just for some filler.  Also, if you do use a skit, put it at the end of a track and not the beginning.  It can get annoying to FF through a skit at the beginning of a song you wanna hear.  Number of songs is subjective, but again, if you're just throwing songs on there to pad your tracklist you're ultimately hurting your album

Last Thought - Be yourself.  Don't pander or cater to what you think is hot or trendy.  Don't cross over to the masses, make the masses cross over to you.  You don't want to be a fad, you want your music to transcend that shit.  Be original, be creative.

Good question by the way.

ABN

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
it seems that everyone pretty much wants the same thing from albums. and these fuck ass rappers better start listening to what people want sooner or later especially considering that they aint really moving the units they used to.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 03:58:57 PM »
I'd like to see more albums with just one producer taking care of all the production. I'm tired of those compilation sounding album with all the hottest producers and it would dope if it was a in-house producer that actually sits and work with dudes in the studio,not some hired dude that mail his beats.
All the albums out,got the same producers and features,fuck that shit. Cut the shit down to 10 bangin tracks(the old school way),fuck the fillers

damn, i hadnīt even read Raideīs post when i posted my shit. and thatīs also how most of friends feels aswell.

Word,you basicly said the same shit as me. Cool,I agree with everything you said. Consistent is the magic word,just solid tracks. Like a dude above said if you can't make a whole album with solid cuts,just do a fuckin' ep.

In general terms, here's what a prefer:

Subject matter  - It can be a song about anything, as long as it's an independant perspective.  I don't have to have gone through the shit, just be able to relate to what you're saying.  Please don't beat me over the head with played out cliche's.  Boasting about how great you are and being the king, or claiming your taking over is played out as well.

Features - I don't mind a feature or 2, or especially a posse cut.  But please don't sell me a goddamn compiliation masquerading as a solo album.  All that tells me is you're not skilled enough to hold down an entire album by yourself.

Lyrics / Delivery / Flows - People today don't even know what a tight flow is.  You can rhyme about cat litter and come off dope if your flows and delivery are tight.  RAP ON TIME!!!!  Don't be lazy and talk over a beat.  Don't try and be cool and freestyle your way through a song for an album.  I know it seems cool to claim that you don't have to write your lyrics in the booth, but, who gives a fuck when your shit sounds retarded, rushed, and sloppy.  Lyrically, don't beat me over the fucking head w/ 1000 metaphors and punchlines.  Those things should be like ketchup to the hamburger.  If used sparingly in a song, it can have a great effect.  If your album is relying on one liners repeated over and over, you're wack.  Save that shit for a battle. 

Production - Using one producer for an album is almost unheard of today which is a huge reason albums aren't cohesive.  I can stand more than one, but a lot of albums struggle and have no difinitive sound because there's 15 producers on 15 tracks.  Stay the fuck away from superproducers.  There's about 20 producers that are used on nearly every mainstream release today.  How people can still get hyped for that blows my mind.  If you have your own in house production, you have something unique that NO ONE else has.  That is a good thing for an artist.

Also, don't email beats and verses back and forth.  There needs to be an organic creativity in making music.  If you email shit back and forth, there just feels like something is missing. 

Album Structure - An intro is cool, a skit or two is ok as long as it ties into the album nicely, not just for some filler.  Also, if you do use a skit, put it at the end of a track and not the beginning.  It can get annoying to FF through a skit at the beginning of a song you wanna hear.  Number of songs is subjective, but again, if you're just throwing songs on there to pad your tracklist you're ultimately hurting your album

Last Thought - Be yourself.  Don't pander or cater to what you think is hot or trendy.  Don't cross over to the masses, make the masses cross over to you.  You don't want to be a fad, you want your music to transcend that shit.  Be original, be creative.

Good question by the way.

Yes Jrome,on point.
Good thread,this thread should go out to EVERY recording artist out there.

IT SEEMS THAT EVERYONE PRETTY MUCH WANTS THE SAME THING FROM ALBUMS. and these fuck ass rappers better start listening to what people want sooner or later especially considering that they aint really moving the units they used to.

WORD!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:18:31 PM by RAIDE - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Da Bloodz

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 05:23:57 PM »
I WANT G FUNK ALL OVER THAT BITCH WITH BLOODZ RAPPIN