Author Topic: What Do You Want From An Album?  (Read 1382 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: What Do You Want From An Album?
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
One of the big underlooked but in my opinion, significant things is how the songs transition from one to another. That's why I love Dre albums. I mean, when I listen to the end of "The Day The Niggaz Over" and it goes right into "G-Thang", it's just so smooth and makes you appreciate how those songs compliment one another. Obviously, you can listen to "G Thang" on its own and it works fine but it's a different experience altogether when you listen to it through the album straight through. I think the same can be said of "Forgot About Dre" and "Next Episode". I used to make a lot of Dr. Dre mix CD's in the day and I'd often put songs like "Dre Day" and "Let Me Ride" together because they didn't sound right if they were seperated.  This isn't just a Dr. Dre thing either. "Thriller" does this well. Radio stations often play Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" together and it really works as one complete work.

Guest features are fine if they are done as part of the album and not just throwing big names on the project to sell it. I like collaborations that actually sound like the artists are feeding off one another, not just one artist dropping a 16 bar over an instrumental to bridge the gap between choruses.

socal

• 'G'
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 12:43:07 AM »
West up xl!! Like you said a lot of it's promotion unless you got $$ you got to sign that contract and hopefully get on the wack radio playlist to the masses.  But fuck that xl your  music is banging it takes you back to the 90s west coast era which is my favorite!  But like you and Clinton Wayne said yall are rappers for the people but it shows people don't really have a choice... I think that's what it boils down to thank god for Internet and hustlers still pushing their music!!
Keep doing it homie I look forward to desert eagle and middle class blues is the biz!
All you Suckas want to Diss the PACiFiC but you Buster Niggaz never get Specific!!

2euce 7even

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »
and do we really care abouta song about a 22 inch rims?  Do we care if youre the scariest monster on the street??  Do we care if you can beat up your producer??  Do we care if you can put bullets in someones chest??  Do we care if you hit 3 wheel motion while sippin potion?? lol... No we dont care..
you´re right but i still like ppl like game!he has that old shit with tha new twist.and things u posted above?that´s gangsta rap man, but everybody put his own style to it.

westside159

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 05:47:10 AM »
First off the music has to be right , then it comes down to the artist and if they have that something
Me personally i like the mellowed out laid bacc vibe to my music ...  Saying something slicc

westside159

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »
And dont forget Dope Hooks ,  becuz there are alot of songs on albums these days that have a nice beat and the hook is terrible ..

westside159

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »
right

Shade Sheist™

• PYO Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.ShadeSheist.net
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
Props on this thread..  8)

Good to see real discussion @ the DUB.
New Album "BLACKOPS" Coming Soon
-------------------------------------------
Official Site: www.ShadeSheist.net
Music: www.GFUNKISFOREVER.net
Twitter: www.twitter.com/shade_sheist
Facebook: www.facebook.com/shadesheistfan
YouTube: www.youtube.com/ishadesheist

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
One of the big underlooked but in my opinion, significant things is how the songs transition from one to another. That's why I love Dre albums. I mean, when I listen to the end of "The Day The Niggaz Over" and it goes right into "G-Thang", it's just so smooth and makes you appreciate how those songs compliment one another. Obviously, you can listen to "G Thang" on its own and it works fine but it's a different experience altogether when you listen to it through the album straight through. I think the same can be said of "Forgot About Dre" and "Next Episode". I used to make a lot of Dr. Dre mix CD's in the day and I'd often put songs like "Dre Day" and "Let Me Ride" together because they didn't sound right if they were seperated.  This isn't just a Dr. Dre thing either. "Thriller" does this well. Radio stations often play Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" together and it really works as one complete work.

Guest features are fine if they are done as part of the album and not just throwing big names on the project to sell it. I like collaborations that actually sound like the artists are feeding off one another, not just one artist dropping a 16 bar over an instrumental to bridge the gap between choruses.

Word the hell up.

I don't know how niggas feed off each other now at times either, cuz ain't half the shit emailed?? Sad.