Author Topic: Man Eminem was great (The Eminem Show Era)  (Read 728 times)

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
Re: Man Eminem was great (The Eminem Show Era)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »
Really. the eminem show was when i stopped being a fan. He was a beast on SSLP and MMLP.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 02:29:33 PM »
Yea TES is my favorite Em album.. too me he came more serious on this album compared to his previous 2 and he seemed to have more emotion on this album.

Same here. On Re-Up he was dope again, well at least way better than on Encore, his flow is still wierd though.

Eminem Show was probably his best, when he was in his prime, but MMLP was dope too.

I thought his flow was wierd on only a couple of tracks on the Re-Up, his verses were still pretty much flawless. I'll admit that Em did kinda fall of once Encore came out, but once I heard dude's verse on that Obie album, I knew he was back.

I still will count Em as one of the top 5 rappers in the game right now.

he's in the top 5 of ever and the top 3 of right now I'd say

Really. the eminem show was when i stopped being a fan. He was a beast on SSLP and MMLP.

the production, I'm tellin' ya. Eminem show would have been a  bonafide classic if Em would have put down the synth and left it to Dre.
-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 02:51:30 PM »
That was around the time he ripped Benzino a new asshole.  Those diss records were crazy.  Em was in his prime in 2002.

Pizzle

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »
^DEFINETLY and the Ja Rule disses. I personally think hes gotten better and better as an artist.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »
that was right before I checked out of the hip hop building....can someone hook up the disses being discussed?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

thisoneguy360

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »
Em had it on lock from 99-02, TES was a very dope album

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
like some other playa said, eminem show was about the time i stopped checkin on eminem, i lost interest in him after i heard that album, i respect he ripped some of the joints to threads but i do not believe it was that good....i think eminem was on some award show wannabe artist around that time, completely different to the eminem on sslp, mmlp, 2001....it did show maturity but i just do not like the album...to much played out shit to me on that album....and the point was proven on encore when he continued with his played out topics and his album was wack......

im black and i use to like eminem, i aint gon lie, but like nuff niggaz, alot of eminems presence in hood was lost with the release of eminem show, true story...and the shit on re-up is nuttin better than decent, there is some nice spits no doubt, but he aint nowehere near the artist he was on re-up

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »
like some other playa said, eminem show was about the time i stopped checkin on eminem, i lost interest in him after i heard that album, i respect he ripped some of the joints to threads but i do not believe it was that good....i think eminem was on some award show wannabe artist around that time, completely different to the eminem on sslp, mmlp, 2001....it did show maturity but i just do not like the album...to much played out shit to me on that album....and the point was proven on encore when he continued with his played out topics and his album was wack......

im black and i use to like eminem, i aint gon lie, but like nuff niggaz, alot of eminems presence in hood was lost with the release of eminem show, true story...and the shit on re-up is nuttin better than decent, there is some nice spits no doubt, but he aint nowehere near the artist he was on re-up

I don't care much for hood presense to begin with and I know that Em Show felt more like a rock record at times and that it wouldn't sit as well with the streets as his previous two. I remember downloading it before it hit the stores and playing it for all the steet types in the local projects. Only the odd few we're feeling tracks like White America or Say Goodbye to Hollywood, and their opinions quickly changed after the general consensus came in as "okay but not great". I remember not understanding why they didn't get it, the same way they didnt get it when I played them Nirvana's Nevermind or Springsteen's Born To Run. These records were magic but the "streets" wouldn't let them accept that. I also remember playing 5 to 1 by the Doors and how most said it was shit. It wasn't so shit when Jay Z rapped over the instrumentsl in Takeover. You simply can't penetrate the ignorance of the "streets" when you have thugs in groups. They're always worried about their image. Ask a group of thugs what they think about women's rights or a woman's place in society. You'll get a different answer if you ask one when he's alone. Eminem Show was just too "white" and he was getting too serious for it to be a masterpiece. White guys in the hood are like black guys in the suburbs; they can be funny or possess crazy talent but when they get too artistic they don't get the praise they should. Black comedys can be put out time and again but serious black dramas that don't suck or push stupid messages before film quality are few and far between. And white slap stick comedians or action stars can get recognized in the hood but you'll be hard pressed to find a Lawrence Olivier film over an Arnie or Jim Carry film in the ghetto. You take any black guy from the hood who is a self proclaimed music lover and force Dylan, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Springsteen, Sabbath, GnR, and Nirvana to the point where he understand each of them and his appreciation of The Eminem Show will grow immensely.

Anyway I loved the Eminem Show. I don't think it's anywhere close to the level of a Born To Run but it's his best record record in my opinion, I liked the flows, the lyrics, and even the productions better on that than on any of his other albums. I think MMLP had better stand out tracks, and SSLP was funnier but as a whole back to front I preffered Em Show. I don't think it needed more Dre. Some of his best tracks where Dre-free and most of his first album had no Dre. I'd like to see him do Jack White produced album. That would be nuts.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 07:11:36 PM »
The Eminem Show is when I really stopped listening to Eminem like that.

SSLP and MMLP was fresh to me, after that it just got repetitive...

He still makes my Top 15 all time.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
The Eminem Show is when I really stopped listening to Eminem like that.

SSLP and MMLP was fresh to me, after that it just got repetitive...

He still makes my Top 15 all time.
true story, weak production, played out topics, nuttin really fresh....eminem show was imo the first signs of eminems demise....i will actually check his next cd, but i do not have any hopes at all for it

TRG

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 07:32:32 PM »
that was right before I checked out of the hip hop building....can someone hook up the disses being discussed?

-T

Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 01 - Im Gone
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 02 - HellBound (Remake) [clear]
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 03 - We Came To Party
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 04 - Riddle
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 05 - Lean Back (Remix)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 06 - Drunkin Life
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 07 - Dump Heads (Murder Inc Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 08 - Doe Ray Me (Murder Inc Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 09 - Hail Mary (Murder Inc Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 10 - Go To Sleep (Murder Inc Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 11 - 9-11
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 12 - Don't Approach Me (Ft. Xzbit)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 13 - Beef (Ft. Xzbit)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 14 - Stimulate
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 15 - Da Renegades (Ft. Jay-Z)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 16 - The Sauce (Benzino Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 17 - Nail In The Coffin (Benzino Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 18 - Pussy Girls
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 19 - Quit It (Whitey Ford Diss)
Eminem - The Return Of Slim Shady - 20 - Defence

that bootleg album has a lot of diss's from around that time, goin at benzino and ja rule

I can get a link on albumbase coz its fuckin up, but I’ll up a few of the diss’

The Sauce (Benzino Diss) - http://www.zshare.net/download/13-the-sauce-benzino-diss-m4a.html
Go To Sleep ft DMX & Obie Trice (Ja Rule Diss) - http://www.zshare.net/audio/songeminem-the-return-of-slim-shady-10-go-to-sleep-murder-inc-diss-mp3.html
Riddle (Benzino Diss) - http://www.sendspace.com/file/nk13tz
Doe Ray Me ft Obie Trice & D12 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/029f6n
Bump Heads ft Lloyd Banks, 50 Cent & Tony Yayo - http://www.zshare.net/download/08-bump-heads-ja-rule-diss-m4a.html
Defence ft Obie Trice & D12 - http://www.zshare.net/download/16-defence-ja-rule-benzino-diss-m4a.html
Nail In The Coffin (Benzino Diss) - http://www.sendspace.com/file/tkqwyt
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:48:08 PM by trentman »

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 07:56:57 PM »

I don't care much for hood presense to begin with and I know that Em Show felt more like a rock record at times and that it wouldn't sit as well with the streets as his previous two. I remember downloading it before it hit the stores and playing it for all the steet types in the local projects. Only the odd few we're feeling tracks like White America or Say Goodbye to Hollywood, and their opinions quickly changed after the general consensus came in as "okay but not great". I remember not understanding why they didn't get it, the same way they didnt get it when I played them Nirvana's Nevermind or Springsteen's Born To Run. These records were magic but the "streets" wouldn't let them accept that. I also remember playing 5 to 1 by the Doors and how most said it was shit. It wasn't so shit when Jay Z rapped over the instrumentsl in Takeover. You simply can't penetrate the ignorance of the "streets" when you have thugs in groups. They're always worried about their image. Ask a group of thugs what they think about women's rights or a woman's place in society. You'll get a different answer if you ask one when he's alone. Eminem Show was just too "white" and he was getting too serious for it to be a masterpiece. White guys in the hood are like black guys in the suburbs; they can be funny or possess crazy talent but when they get too artistic they don't get the praise they should. Black comedys can be put out time and again but serious black dramas that don't suck or push stupid messages before film quality are few and far between. And white slap stick comedians or action stars can get recognized in the hood but you'll be hard pressed to find a Lawrence Olivier film over an Arnie or Jim Carry film in the ghetto. You take any black guy from the hood who is a self proclaimed music lover and force Dylan, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Springsteen, Sabbath, GnR, and Nirvana to the point where he understand each of them and his appreciation of The Eminem Show will grow immensely.

Anyway I loved the Eminem Show. I don't think it's anywhere close to the level of a Born To Run but it's his best record record in my opinion, I liked the flows, the lyrics, and even the productions better on that than on any of his other albums. I think MMLP had better stand out tracks, and SSLP was funnier but as a whole back to front I preffered Em Show. I don't think it needed more Dre. Some of his best tracks where Dre-free and most of his first album had no Dre. I'd like to see him do Jack White produced album. That would be nuts.

you speak on a black cat like you know them all....haha....check it homie, i respect everyones opinion and i try and speak back with sense but i aint into the whole back and forth a hundred times thing .....so let me quickly break this down for you....you speak on niggaz in hood like they do not understand any music apart fom hiphop....you speak like you know so much more than a nigga in the projects and you speak like what you feel must be felt by everyone.....what you mean by you cannot understand shit when you play something to them and they may not feel it....what if they play someshit which is supposedly great and you do no feel it....does that mean they know more than you or vice-versa...or what you feel a nigga in the hood cannot appreciate art...........that is why i hardly ever waste my time replying to alot of shit you speak on....now i do still respect your opinion and let it be known that your opinion is no greater or weaker than mine......

now the reason why I and many other cats do not like eminem show is not because it is too artistic...the album simply is not very "artistic".....or even very serious....its just more mature than his previous shit.........now speaking on not enough dre....i do not care if dre did more or less production......dre is simply on another level production wise in comparison to eminem, but my favourite joint on the eminem show was soldier....a eminem produced joint......personally i thought that was amazing......its just the album was stale as in played out, shit that was played out....he was STILL speaking on his wife and kid like we do not know shit about them, still speaking about his whole being white thing....at this stage, everyone accepted he was white....people were simply impressed that a whitecat could spit like he could....so not getting love for an album because it was white or anything it not the reason either.....yes i do believe the album had too much of a rock sound to it....but that does not make me dislike the album just because the sound was rock, if it still sounded bangin, i would have no complaints...its just there was alot of shit in the album which was weak.....

to me this album is not a 4 mic cd....I accept he killed alot of the shit on this album....infact some niggaz have stole his whole style of spittin from the eminem show or were influenced by it, but to me he was at his peak on the MMLP....the beats were bangin, he was at his most arrogant...he spoke in rhyme, he had funk to him....damn a white boy with funk in hiphop, you had to dig an eminem album back then!......bwoy this brother love artistic shit, i appreciate music for what it is.....and best believe many niggaz love artistic shit, please do not act like only white people can appreciate shit which is artistic...its just my reasons for disliking eminem show are simple....played out topics, poor production, to dark,rocky vibe which was not well executed....and yeah i think because of this alot of niggaz like me were not able to vibe with him, feel him on this shit........and this was the time i stopped really checkin on eminem, i remember before MMLP dropped and i was like, yooo i gotta get me this joint....and then without me dropped and i was like "errrr what the fuck is this..fuck it, imma cop it anyway, album will be different"....and yeah it was different, but it was not for me....not because i cannot appreciate it....it simply is not a masterpiece and maybe you are right, maybe it is too "white" but please do not get it twisted, i could give a fuck whether a white cat, black, brown, asain, mormon, jew. muslim, whatever released some shit which is amazing....if its great, i give it its props....its just the album was not for me, personally i was not impressed.....

like i said, i respect your opinion and i am not into going back and forth 20 times, so you can either respect my opinion and speak some shit back with respect or not and just say what you want....but like i said, this is over for me....album was not made with me in mind, it was made with the grammys in mind, ironic for eminem

peace....

and props for making me spend soo much time writing this shit up!

Elevz

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Suffice actually said blacks in general can't appreciate artistic music. It seems to me he just said that it's the whole environment overruling personal opinions: when it comes to blacks, their peers have a lot of influence on what they like and what they don't like. But that's not just because they're blacks, its more because of the actual environment they live in.

Forgive me if I misinterpretated all of this, but if that's what Suffice said: I agree. Now I know you truly stated your personal opinion, but even that comes from a larger perspective. You weren't actually born with an opinion.

This is probably even the reason why most of today's popular music is so shitty. Even with individuals having their own opinions, the masses often simply follow the latest trends. Now, if the masses from black neighborhoods fail to adapt to Eminem's new style (speaking from a 2002 perspective here), that quickly becomes the direction of the opinions of everyone involved. And thus your personal opinion may not be quite as personal as you'd hoped it was.

Props to both of you - good thinking.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »

You are the shit man, +1.

Lyrical G: he was speaking on thugs in the hood, not blacks in general and I think he's on point.

Word on that 5 to 1 shit, I really doubt most people realize that that's a doors sample.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
^ I just thought it was a good album, ya'll are taking this to a whole other level.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"