Author Topic: Shock Value sucks  (Read 2041 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: Shock Value sucks
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »
Now, TTK, you're a cool dude and all, but there's one thing that needs to stop. The way you use stereotypes on people is ridiculous...

Catching feelings ? More like laughing at thugged out people on the internet, who only listen to gangsta rap and think any other genre is "homo". I have no problem with someone saying its wack but to say that because it has "homosexual pop shit", well now thats e-banging at its finest.
E-banging? How you figure? So now saying that a gay ass cd is gay makes you an internet thug. I'd like for you yo explain to me how you came to that conclusion. Face it, the cd is some homosexual pop shit.

Now. Let me tell you this: You're posting in the OUTBOUND SECTIONS. Just about no one here comes to discuss gangsta rap only (as opposed to some people on the westcoast board), and that should tell you something. And it shows from the discussions people have here; plenty of people openly display a variety in tastes. So when they disagree with you, why do you necessarily feel like they never even gave the album a fair shot? Can't someone legitimately disagree with you?

I enjoy Timbaland's older albums, I listen to a variety of other musical genres and in fact I don't listen to any gangsta rap at all. But guess what? To me, Shock Value wasn't good.

No gangsta rap? Aw man.  ;)

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Elevz

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 03:36:42 PM »
Now, TTK, you're a cool dude and all, but there's one thing that needs to stop. The way you use stereotypes on people is ridiculous...

Catching feelings ? More like laughing at thugged out people on the internet, who only listen to gangsta rap and think any other genre is "homo". I have no problem with someone saying its wack but to say that because it has "homosexual pop shit", well now thats e-banging at its finest.
E-banging? How you figure? So now saying that a gay ass cd is gay makes you an internet thug. I'd like for you yo explain to me how you came to that conclusion. Face it, the cd is some homosexual pop shit.

Now. Let me tell you this: You're posting in the OUTBOUND SECTIONS. Just about no one here comes to discuss gangsta rap only (as opposed to some people on the westcoast board), and that should tell you something. And it shows from the discussions people have here; plenty of people openly display a variety in tastes. So when they disagree with you, why do you necessarily feel like they never even gave the album a fair shot? Can't someone legitimately disagree with you?

I enjoy Timbaland's older albums, I listen to a variety of other musical genres and in fact I don't listen to any gangsta rap at all. But guess what? To me, Shock Value wasn't good.

-T

Nah man. I was listening to Mobb Deep The Infamous the other week, and that was really enjoyable, but after a few tracks it got boring to me. I used to be a big fan of Onyx, but in other words:
I loved GRODT when it came out gangstarap at first, but I became smarter :)
Fixed! ;)

On the real though, a couple years ago gangsta rap was really cool to me (cool being precisely the right word). I just grew out of it, because the content is meaningless to me. Metaphorical violence (Wu-Tang, Nas, etc) is an exception to this rule, but in general I'm peace-loving :)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 03:59:38 PM »

-T

Nah man. I was listening to Mobb Deep The Infamous the other week, and that was really enjoyable, but after a few tracks it got boring to me. I used to be a big fan of Onyx, but in other words:
I loved GRODT when it came out gangstarap at first, but I became smarter :)
Fixed! ;)

On the real though, a couple years ago gangsta rap was really cool to me (cool being precisely the right word). I just grew out of it, because the content is meaningless to me. Metaphorical violence (Wu-Tang, Nas, etc) is an exception to this rule, but in general I'm peace-loving :)

I'm peace loving too, which is why art to me, is a perfectly valid medium in which to express such violence you know? and honestly, gangsta rap is just s well produced in comparison to alot of other rap to me. alot of other rap is rap/hip hop. gangsta rap is more like an extension of funk, so it's like more musical to me, it has more in common with the rock i've listened to the for the last 5 years than the other rap i observe i guess. it's just so musical, i ignore the content and revel in how smoothly it's delivered. but i feel you

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Elevz

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 04:15:31 PM »
I'm peace loving too, which is why art to me, is a perfectly valid medium in which to express such violence you know? and honestly, gangsta rap is just s well produced in comparison to alot of other rap to me. alot of other rap is rap/hip hop. gangsta rap is more like an extension of funk, so it's like more musical to me, it has more in common with the rock i've listened to the for the last 5 years than the other rap i observe i guess. it's just so musical, i ignore the content and revel in how smoothly it's delivered. but i feel you

-T

I see where you're coming from, but I'm a lyrics man! I'll listen to any kind of music if it's lyrically appealing to me. Gangsta tales just don't do it for me, while most generally acceptable genres (pop, jazz, folk, rnb, ...) do. Which explains why I have an old folk singer in my avatar... :D

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »
Elvez, pardon me but to me
the tracks dont even look cool on paper they look like a homosexual picnic of weak pop artists
this is not dissagreing with me, its naming idiotic reasons to why the albums is bad. Now, the same poster, gave a more reasonable and detailed anwser as to why he thinks the album sucks. Before it looked like he was just plain hating, without even having heard the music. All Im looking for is a legitmate reason as to why you dont or dolike something

I am stereotyping ? Ive had my share of being stereotyped myself.

And about you not liking Shock Value, well thats no shocker. I could tell 6 months before release date that you wont like it, simply because Timbo blew into this mega popular sound and had all these famous artits on it. I bet if he had only Magoo, Sebastian and Missy on it, with same lyrics and beats, you'd like it. Because then there would be no 4 page threads about it and it would be "cool" to like it. Afterall you did say Magoo and Sebastian are better than Jay-z, Snoop Dogg and Lil Wayne, lol. Guess Im just stereotyping again.

But tell me this. Why dont you like the cd ? Beats ? Lyrics ?

Elevz

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
Elvez, pardon me but to me
the tracks dont even look cool on paper they look like a homosexual picnic of weak pop artists
this is not dissagreing with me, its naming idiotic reasons to why the albums is bad. Now, the same poster, gave a more reasonable and detailed anwser as to why he thinks the album sucks. Before it looked like he was just plain hating, without even having heard the music. All Im looking for is a legitmate reason as to why you dont or dolike something

He never said he dislikes the album because it looks bad on paper...

And about you not liking Shock Value, well thats no shocker. I could tell 6 months before release date that you wont like it, simply because Timbo blew into this mega popular sound and had all these famous artits on it. I bet if he had only Magoo, Sebastian and Missy on it, with same lyrics and beats, you'd like it. Because then there would be no 4 page threads about it and it would be "cool" to like it. Afterall you did say Magoo and Sebastian are better than Jay-z, Snoop Dogg and Lil Wayne, lol.

LMAO. I can't believe you're putting me in that corner... Let me just find that quote back, because you're taking shit wayyyyy out of context. Me no like that.

Sebastian and Attitude do what they do. They're not great rappers, but they're perfectly suited for filling up those empty spots for 16's. Now if Timmy got Snoop, Wayne and Jay for his album, that would be suspicious. Like he can't rap well enough himself, so he had to get some all-star rappers to give his album some shine. Inviting these big names for your album is played out anyway.

And just personally, I'm more fiending for some new rhymes from Sebastian or Attitude, than hearing a new verse from Snoop.

That's right. The formula of Timbaland working with Sebastian, Attitude and Missy for his own albums worked well in the past. They're not great rappers, but they do perfectly fit Timbaland's (old?) style. They spit raps that don't take the focus away from the beats too much. After all, with Timbaland, it's always about the sound as a whole - never about lyricism on its own. And that's cool, but you don't need to put Jay-Z or Snoop on your payroll for that, when Sebastian and Attitude might do it just as nicely, or perhaps even better. Jay-Z and Snoop are way too charismatic and way too big to fulfill such a small role. It would be a waste of the money, and a pathetic attempt to attract a wider audience to the album.

BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN ATTITUDE IS A BETTER RAPPER THAN SNOOP DOGG...

Jesus Christ, seriously Meho, how little do you know about me, when you're pulling these judgements out of your ass? How little do you know about my taste in music, and the decisions I make about what I like and what not? Now check this:

I listen to a great lot of jazz music. It's generally considered corny, but I love it. The 50's had a great bunch of excellent musicians. The new era of jazz is really enjoyable too. How cool is that for a 20 year old to listen to?
I listen to folk, big band, rock and roll, all of that. It's rather dusty, but I enjoy it. How cool is that?
My favorite artist is Boudewijn de Groot. He's a 66 year old Dutch folk singer. He used to sing about his rebellious communist beliefs, but nowadays he's more into the romantic views on life. How cool is that?
To top that all off, there's a few rappers that I frequently listen to. They're not exactly the coolest gangsters, but A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Roots, Common and Mos Def make good music. I bet just about anyone in here can second me on that.
You should really ask the Dutch posters on this forum this one thing. How cool do they think this pop/rock band Blof is? Yes indeed, it is extremely corny, but I enjoy most of their music.

Do I give a shit about the image of any fucking artist? Fuck no. If Timbaland can please me with a new album, that's great. I know I've enjoyed his albums in the past; at one point Under Construction II was my shit, because it put me in a certain mood. That's all I'm asking of Timbaland.

And you say Shock Value? After listening to it once, I'm not impressed at all. Mediocrity rules I guess, but it just ain't for me. The vibe isn't there - it's more of the same pop sound we've heard plenty of lately. I haven't nearly paid enough attention to it to be able to properly judge the lyrics, but the sound on a whole wasn't as much of a "classic experience" as it could have been.

Guess Im just stereotyping again.

Well, at least you got ONE thing right..!

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »
we should have organized debate, with me, elevz, jrome, and timbo. would be the shit.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »
There's no flow to this album, beats is blande.  Artists don't fit the beats.  It looks good on paper, one of the biggest producers out there, star-stuffed guestlist...  But shit didn't mold into an album that I'll be listening to.  It's trying to be too many genres at once, but the songs aren't good enough to pull it off.

Saw that coming a mile away...
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Elevz

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
Uh, I just so happen to have won the debating championship at the university just last week. I'm in an indestructable mood, so come and try me ;)

Wouldn't that be kinda unfair though, to have three people getting at poor TTK? ;)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
Uh, I just so happen to have won the debating championship at the university just last week. I'm in an indestructable mood, so come and try me ;)

Wouldn't that be kinda unfair though, to have three people getting at poor TTK? ;)

nah, it wouldn't be all of us against one person. there'd be different debates. we'd pair up. i agree with timbo on some stuff, just like I disagree with him on some stuff. but you know as well as the next man that you gotta be able to play devil's advocate. that's actually what I do for the most part here, hence my karma

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 05:34:19 PM »
the album title says it all, Timbo tried to shock people with these weird beats and I guess he did

Paul

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »

nah, it wouldn't be all of us against one person. there'd be different debates. we'd pair up. i agree with timbo on some stuff, just like I disagree with him on some stuff. but you know as well as the next man that you gotta be able to play devil's advocate. that's actually what I do for the most part here, hence my karma

-T

yeah man, why is your karma so low, u seem like a cool dude, u obviously know your music n whatever, people jus hatin?
funkyfreshintheflesh

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:21 PM »

-T

yeah man, why is your karma so low, u seem like a cool dude, u obviously know your music n whatever, people jus hatin?

-i ask alot of questions
-not only do I avoid dissing people, I intervene when other people are dissing each other. i should stop that i suppose.
-I am into a gang of different shit, and don't believe that hip hop is the best/only real genre and that's the perspective I come from and people don't like that
-I'm a hippie and people watch too much south park

i think those are the main reasons additional to me constantly playing devils advocate

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »

-T

+1

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Paul

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 06:12:10 PM »

-T

+1

-T

thanks, +1 for u too
funkyfreshintheflesh