Author Topic: Shock Value sucks  (Read 2039 times)

Samoan Enforcer

Re: Shock Value sucks
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »
Now, TTK, you're a cool dude and all, but there's one thing that needs to stop. The way you use stereotypes on people is ridiculous...

Catching feelings ? More like laughing at thugged out people on the internet, who only listen to gangsta rap and think any other genre is "homo". I have no problem with someone saying its wack but to say that because it has "homosexual pop shit", well now thats e-banging at its finest.
E-banging? How you figure? So now saying that a gay ass cd is gay makes you an internet thug. I'd like for you yo explain to me how you came to that conclusion. Face it, the cd is some homosexual pop shit.

Now. Let me tell you this: You're posting in the OUTBOUND SECTIONS. Just about no one here comes to discuss gangsta rap only (as opposed to some people on the westcoast board), and that should tell you something. And it shows from the discussions people have here; plenty of people openly display a variety in tastes. So when they disagree with you, why do you necessarily feel like they never even gave the album a fair shot? Can't someone legitimately disagree with you?

I enjoy Timbaland's older albums, I listen to a variety of other musical genres and in fact I don't listen to any gangsta rap at all. But guess what? To me, Shock Value wasn't good.

No gangsta rap? Aw man.  ;)

-T

Nah man. I was listening to Mobb Deep The Infamous the other week, and that was really enjoyable, but after a few tracks it got boring to me. I used to be a big fan of Onyx, but in other words:
I loved GRODT when it came out gangstarap at first, but I became smarter :)
Fixed! ;)

On the real though, a couple years ago gangsta rap was really cool to me (cool being precisely the right word). I just grew out of it, because the content is meaningless to me. Metaphorical violence (Wu-Tang, Nas, etc) is an exception to this rule, but in general I'm peace-loving :)

lol metaphorical violence. no wu tang really did bang on people in their projects and just about everywhere

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2007, 06:23:51 PM »
Now, TTK, you're a cool dude and all, but there's one thing that needs to stop. The way you use stereotypes on people is ridiculous...

Catching feelings ? More like laughing at thugged out people on the internet, who only listen to gangsta rap and think any other genre is "homo". I have no problem with someone saying its wack but to say that because it has "homosexual pop shit", well now thats e-banging at its finest.
E-banging? How you figure? So now saying that a gay ass cd is gay makes you an internet thug. I'd like for you yo explain to me how you came to that conclusion. Face it, the cd is some homosexual pop shit.

Now. Let me tell you this: You're posting in the OUTBOUND SECTIONS. Just about no one here comes to discuss gangsta rap only (as opposed to some people on the westcoast board), and that should tell you something. And it shows from the discussions people have here; plenty of people openly display a variety in tastes. So when they disagree with you, why do you necessarily feel like they never even gave the album a fair shot? Can't someone legitimately disagree with you?

I enjoy Timbaland's older albums, I listen to a variety of other musical genres and in fact I don't listen to any gangsta rap at all. But guess what? To me, Shock Value wasn't good.

-T

Nah man. I was listening to Mobb Deep The Infamous the other week, and that was really enjoyable, but after a few tracks it got boring to me. I used to be a big fan of Onyx, but in other words:
Fixed! ;)

On the real though, a couple years ago gangsta rap was really cool to me (cool being precisely the right word). I just grew out of it, because the content is meaningless to me. Metaphorical violence (Wu-Tang, Nas, etc) is an exception to this rule, but in general I'm peace-loving :)

lol metaphorical violence. no wu tang really did bang on people in their projects and just about everywhere

he just means the lyrics. however much they banged, they probably weren't quite swinging wu tang shaolin swords through navels. unless you wanna take that as a metaphor for a shank

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Al Bundy

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2007, 08:05:38 PM »

-T

Fixed! ;)

I don't really consider Mobb Deep as gangster rap. More like hardcore rap.

Do you like Redman or Erick Sermon? Isn't as hardcore as the Mobb but hella dope none the less.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
Just my two cents.  The album is a good album musically.  For a hip-hop album, it is very dissapointing.  This should be classified as a pop album.  I didn't really feel the album at all just becaus it just isn't my style. I guess for me the expectations were set too high for the album.

One
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Bojakabo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BOJAKaBOOOO
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 01:09:46 AM »
i thought the album was going to be good, but damn, its just to much "radio"-vibe over it..i think i like the just timerlake album more  :P

Xyz

• Lil Geezy
  • gfunk4life
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 02:58:03 AM »
to me:
Put you on the game was fiyaaaa
Nelly album was veery good (bangin single)
JT album was ok... (good singles)
I was bangin Give it to me waitin 4 Shock Value
then i heard track with Hives i thinks its leftover but its one of few good tracks of the album ( Way i Are, Give it to me, Release)
and its a shame....

I got love for Timbo for Bubba 2 albums , and Poeple Lika Myself track from Timbo and Magoo old album

but....

Its sad to say but Shock Value is Wack As Fuck :(

and i want old timbo back :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 03:05:13 AM by Xyz »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 05:02:17 AM »
Elvez, you can flip it however you want to but you basically said that you'd rather hear Magoo and Sebastian over these beats than Snoop and Jay. Now lets say that doesnt automatically mean that M,S>> S,Jay but still you reasoning as to why you would rather hear that is just plain silly. Because wheter its 5 bars or 30 the odds are very, very high that Snoop and Jay would rip it better than fucking Magoo and Sebastian.

Now, you say you dont like this sounds, its too "pop". Well, Timbaland never had street music or some gangsta shit, its just happened that his sounds is "in" right now. But to me its not even a question that Timbaland has completley stepped his game up. He even said it himself that when he started working with Danja, he took it to another level.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 05:14:11 AM »
True, Timbo's stepped his game up massively. This is still an album more for the masses, and if this doesn't go plat nothing will.

However, the real test of how good it is will come if and when other producers start to emulate his new sound.

Elevz

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 05:35:41 AM »
Elvez, you can flip it however you want to but you basically said that you'd rather hear Magoo and Sebastian over these beats than Snoop and Jay.

Correctemundo.

Now lets say that doesnt automatically mean that M,S>> S,Jay but still you reasoning as to why you would rather hear that is just plain silly. Because wheter its 5 bars or 30 the odds are very, very high that Snoop and Jay would rip it better than fucking Magoo and Sebastian.
Read again:
The formula of Timbaland working with Sebastian, Attitude and Missy for his own albums worked well in the past. They're not great rappers, but they do perfectly fit Timbaland's (old?) style. They spit raps that don't take the focus away from the beats too much. After all, with Timbaland, it's always about the sound as a whole - never about lyricism on its own. And that's cool, but you don't need to put Jay-Z or Snoop on your payroll for that, when Sebastian and Attitude might do it just as nicely, or perhaps even better. Jay-Z and Snoop are way too charismatic and way too big to fulfill such a small role. It would be a waste of the money, and a pathetic attempt to attract a wider audience to the album.

I don't want anyone ripping any verse on Timbaland's albums. Things just gotta sound good, that's all.

Now, you say you dont like this sounds, its too "pop".

You couldn't be more wrong. You're giving me the impression you never even read my posts before you replied... If you can quote me on calling Tmmy's new style "too pop", go ahead. But really, you're talking out of your ass again.

Well, Timbaland never had street music or some gangsta shit, its just happened that his sounds is "in" right now. But to me its not even a question that Timbaland has completley stepped his game up. He even said it himself that when he started working with Danja, he took it to another level.
Once again, back to my post:
How little do you know about my taste in music, and the decisions I make about what I like and what not? Now check this:

I listen to a great lot of jazz music. It's generally considered corny, but I love it. The 50's had a great bunch of excellent musicians. The new era of jazz is really enjoyable too. How cool is that for a 20 year old to listen to?
I listen to folk, big band, rock and roll, all of that. It's rather dusty, but I enjoy it. How cool is that?
My favorite artist is Boudewijn de Groot. He's a 66 year old Dutch folk singer. He used to sing about his rebellious communist beliefs, but nowadays he's more into the romantic views on life. How cool is that?
To top that all off, there's a few rappers that I frequently listen to. They're not exactly the coolest gangsters, but A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Roots, Common and Mos Def make good music. I bet just about anyone in here can second me on that.
You should really ask the Dutch posters on this forum this one thing. How cool do they think this pop/rock band Blof is? Yes indeed, it is extremely corny, but I enjoy most of their music.

Do I give a shit about the image of any fucking artist? Fuck no. If Timbaland can please me with a new album, that's great. I know I've enjoyed his albums in the past; at one point Under Construction II was my shit, because it put me in a certain mood. That's all I'm asking of Timbaland.

Read that over a couple times, maybe you'll finally get it. I couldn't care less how popular his sound might be. I liked that Nelly Furtado joint he did, "All Good Things Come To An End". That was good, and it couldn't be more pop, but it was good to me. Now remember, I never said Shock Value was all bad, but it does little to move me.

Let me ask you this. Why are so you concerned with the popularity and image of an artist anyway? Can't you just be you, and like whatever you like, without having to worry about all of that? Is the image others have of you and the music you listen to really that important to you? Can't you maintain an identity without having to resort to your music to define you?

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 05:44:48 AM »
Let it grow on them bro..
IMO, Hip-Hop has been shit latley.

I came across this album & had the Opp to sample it
& I pesonaly liked it alot. & true shit spoken "This album has to be played @ High Volume"
it's not iPod'ish, IMO It's Club Shit, Car Shit.
I wanna hear this in the club, when I'm Drunk/High as Fuck hand in hand with a chick
heading somewhere to do something.

Not a fan of all the track's, but liked enough of them to write something...lol
I'll cop it tho, just for these.

"Release" head Nodder for sure, It grow's on you.

"The way I are" it's like some Star War's Shit, It's What "Han Solo" bump's in the Millennium Falcon

"Bounce" Come on, We all expected some blow my ear drum's type of shit when we saw Timbo/Dre collab on paper.
We need to get out of that mode, we expect way to much when we see Dre's name attatched to something.
personaly I like the Track, Missy tear's it up. Any fan of Egyption Lover will like this song.

"Come & get Me" Was the hit repeat track for me...
Bumped it 3 times in a row back to back during my first listen. It is what it is. I like the 50/Timbo collab.

"Oh Timbaland" I looked like a Chicken bro, trying to keep up with the tempo with head nodd's..."Yeah"

"Give it to me" This one is growing on me as of yesterday, danm! Imagine If my homies find out  :-\

Sofar, those are the join't on the album, IMO.
Maybe it's just me, But as an older Since the start of this Hip-Hop shit listener..
I have grown tired of all that gansta shit (Been there done That), I still like it. But I can't eat Mc Donald's everyday.

The album is what it is..
"Fuck it" bump it in secret so you still retain your "[/Quote]STREET CRED[/Quote]"
I won't tell anyone, I promise.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »
The vibe isn't there - it's more of the same pop sound we've heard plenty of lately

and
I don't want anyone ripping any verse on Timbaland's albums. Things just gotta sound good, that's all.
Now thats just wrong.

Let me ask you this. Why are so you concerned with the popularity and image of an artist anyway? Can't you just be you, and like whatever you like, without having to worry about all of that? Is the image others have of you and the music you listen to really that important to you? Can't you maintain an identity without having to resort to your music to define you?

Where the hell did you get that idea? Im the last person on this planet that cares about what other people think.

Elevz

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
The vibe isn't there - it's more of the same pop sound we've heard plenty of lately

How refreshing is the sound of this album, compared to the other stuff Timbaland did over the past two years? It's the very same pop sound we've heard over and over again. Now show me, where did I condemn pop sounds in general? Because that's what you're accusing me of, and it's something I never said. That's you talking out of your ass (again).

Now thats just wrong.

Thanks for calling my opinion wrong. I appreciate that. ::)

Since you're having such a hard time reading the explanation I gave before, let me break it down for you once more.

Timbaland's beats (generally) speak for themselves.
Timbaland's music is (generally) for those easy listening moments, when you just want to hear some music and enjoy it, regardless of what standards any critic might put up. It's cool music made to enjoy, not to criticize or overrationalize.
So?
So Timbaland doesn't need a critically acclaimed lyricist, or a big star to back him up. Timbaland's music (generally) speaks for itself.
So?
So Timbaland doesn't need Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg to overcharge the music with their charisma and wordplay. What Timbaland (generally) needs is some laid back rappers who actually support the music, instead of having the music to support them. You see the difference?
So?
So considering this purpose, on his own albums Timbaland would be generally better off with Attitude and Magoo, instead of Snoop Dogg and Jay-Z.

Where the hell did you get that idea? Im the last person on this planet that cares about what other people think.

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but you seem to be catching feelings about the thoughts of others. You're so sensitive when it comes to other people's opinions, you discredit their thoughts based on irrational assumptions. Anyone who disagrees with you is either a hater, or an ignorant backpacker, or perhaps a combination of the two. You tell others why they dislike certain artists: like everyone cares how popular a certain artist is, or how cool the underground is. You say people are biased because of all these conceptions, and that it highly influences their actual behavior (in this case, their taste in music). That's you, talking to other people. Accusing them.

If you really didn't care what other people think of you, why do you keep making such a fuss out of your thoughts on others?

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 01:36:48 PM »
Again, you can flip and sugar code as much as you want but to say you'd rather hear "good enough" rhymes instead of better lyrics is just wrong.

Lol, I am calling people haters ? Please, you have absoulutley no idea what youre talking about. If anything Ive been called a groupie or hater here numerous times.

I am making a fuss out of it ? Lol, now youre talking out of your ass. Whos writing esseys to my 3 sentence replys ? Get the fuck out of here. Your better than that.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
Let it grow on them bro..
IMO, Hip-Hop has been shit latley.

I came across this album & had the Opp to sample it
& I pesonaly liked it alot. & true shit spoken "This album has to be played @ High Volume"
it's not iPod'ish, IMO It's Club Shit, Car Shit.
I wanna hear this in the club, when I'm Drunk/High as Fuck hand in hand with a chick
heading somewhere to do something.

Not a fan of all the track's, but liked enough of them to write something...lol
I'll cop it tho, just for these.

"Release" head Nodder for sure, It grow's on you.

"The way I are" it's like some Star War's Shit, It's What "Han Solo" bump's in the Millennium Falcon

"Bounce" Come on, We all expected some blow my ear drum's type of shit when we saw Timbo/Dre collab on paper.
We need to get out of that mode, we expect way to much when we see Dre's name attatched to something.
personaly I like the Track, Missy tear's it up. Any fan of Egyption Lover will like this song.

"Come & get Me" Was the hit repeat track for me...
Bumped it 3 times in a row back to back during my first listen. It is what it is. I like the 50/Timbo collab.

"Oh Timbaland" I looked like a Chicken bro, trying to keep up with the tempo with head nodd's..."Yeah"

"Give it to me" This one is growing on me as of yesterday, danm! Imagine If my homies find out  :-\

Sofar, those are the join't on the album, IMO.
Maybe it's just me, But as an older Since the start of this Hip-Hop shit listener..
I have grown tired of all that gansta shit (Been there done That), I still like it. But I can't eat Mc Donald's everyday.

The album is what it is..
"Fuck it" bump it in secret so you still retain your "
STREET CRED[/Quote]"
I won't tell anyone, I promise.
[/quote]

truth homie

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 02:51:10 PM »
by the way this album is hella inconsistant, but the heaters are REALLY heated imo...i cannot hate on timbaland for doing this, his more relevant that just hiphop for more than a minute so this album is pretty universal with its sound...i like it, not fully, but i think the first joint and the last joint are amazing for example....even that the way i are joint has grown on me