Author Topic: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography  (Read 8778 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:25 AM »
None of the albums are whack. There are whack songs certainly, but the albums as a whole, to me, are over-all good. more than half the songs on all the albums are at least good to me

dogg food-classic

DYG-seriously, take off 'work dat pussy' and this is a west coast classic on the level of TSIAM

DYGII-the production on this is remarkably effective in its g funk and there are alot of cool songs. some of the best chick songs the pound has done is on here. 'i luv it when u', 'u remind me', 'make me a believer' are all dope. dpgc muzick and 'donuts in the street' are straight classic.

CIA-I was shocked at how good this was after yall trashed it so bad. seriously, the only whack song is the Paul wall one and it's not even Paul wall's verse, it's the production that is horrible on this song, as well as the chorus. even though the david banner song is simple, it's not bad. I would really like the puffy song if puffy didn't have vocals in it and snoop wasn't cooing 'bad boy' throughout.
there is alot of HEEEEEAT on this record. it's crazy dope to hear the pound over high budget producers again. the lack of daz production doesn't bother me because there's already SOOOOO much daz produced dogg pound that the new style is a cool thing.

Kurupt is AT LEAST as dope lyrically on CIA as he is on any other recent DP record. did you guys not hear 'Keepin' it gangsta' prod. by soopafly on this shit? Kurupt goes to fuckin' WAR on that song! and that's just one of a handful that he rips up like that on CIA alone.

Dogg chit- I still say 10-12 of the tracks are bangers and 'where u from', 'good azz day', 'anybody killa', 'vibe', and a few others are ridiculously ridiculously tight classics.

anyway, there's something in album reviews that always pisses me off about DP. whenever someone that's not into rap a dogg pound album like dogg food, or CIA they always say some shit like "Unfortunately snoop isn't on the album as much as the cover and single would lead you to believe and this is actually a daz kurupt record" like it's a bad thing and the need snoop to keep an album afloat and shit. this is absolutely ridiculous to me, especially considering how much snoop IS on those records. Snoop is ALLLLLL over CIA and he drops dope shit and for reviewers to act like more snoop is necessary is an insult to hip hop to me.

after talking with you cats for the last several months, I am amazed that DYG2 and CIA are so good. I was expecting absolute horseshit. you cats are ridiculously harsh, shit what do you guys think is GOOD and where can I get some of that shit.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

floatin_above_everything

Re: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:16:48 AM »
I call them one of the best duo's in rap history. The way they flow off of one another is uncanny and like no other. They have released 4 albums that were at least solid.
Daz has made his mark on the game as a producer and rapper, even though he is a bit of an underdog.

As for Kurupt, he is my favorite Westcoast rapper of all time, even still with the drop off in lyrics. Once Kurupt went to DR again, his lyrics fell off mostly due to lack of inspiration. I can't imagine Death Row as having a postitive vibe. I still think his voice and flow is among the best, and he improved his lyrics very much on Dogg Chit. Most of his verses still have no struture to them, but he's still spitting.

The most frustrating thing about tha Dogg Pound is that they split up at a time where DPG as a unit was the strongest it had ever been. While it's all well and good that they are back toegther making good music, they wasted 4 years on this beef, when both artist were probably in there prime.

I'll still probably always check for pretty much any further  Dogg Pound projects, Daz or Kurupt solos alike.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:23:19 AM »
I call them one of the best duo's in rap history. The way they flow off of one another is uncanny and like no other. They have released 4 albums that were at least solid.
Daz has made his mark on the game as a producer and rapper, even though he is a bit of an underdog.

As for Kurupt, he is my favorite Westcoast rapper of all time, even still with the drop off in lyrics. Once Kurupt went to DR again, his lyrics fell off mostly due to lack of inspiration. I can't imagine Death Row as having a postitive vibe. I still think his voice and flow is among the best, and he improved his lyrics very much on Dogg Chit. Most of his verses still have no struture to them, but he's still spitting.

The most frustrating thing about tha Dogg Pound is that they split up at a time where DPG as a unit was the strongest it had ever been. While it's all well and good that they are back toegther making good music, they wasted 4 years on this beef, when both artist were probably in there prime.

I'll still probably always check for pretty much any further  Dogg Pound projects, Daz or Kurupt solos alike.

not that this is a diss to you, but it's always infuriated me when people call Daz an underdog, he produced a gang of mid nineties hits for Snoop and Pac as well as making a bunch of sicktacular album tracks.

furthermore, Kurupt never lost inspiration per se. whenever he writes a verse it is the shit, but I believe that he has freestyled 96% of his post death row work. I think he wrote less than 10 songs on SIAM, and from there less and less. I think we could count on 4-5 discs ABSOLUTE tops every song Kurupt actually wrote his verses too. i think the VAAAAST majority of Kurupt's work is freestyled, not based on quality but based on the way the verses come out. they often have a 'searching for words' feel to them. sidenote, Jay Z is known for doing this and they are both Saggitarius.
furthermore, Kurupt is my favorite rapper period and it pisses me off that he doesn't write more.

what pisses me off about the beef is that right before the beef daz and snoop were not working together and as soon as Kurupt left snoop and daz started to work together again. they all 3 needed to be doing shit always and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

-T
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:39:34 AM by Tanjibility-The Dangerous Crew Movement »

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »

not that this is a diss to you, but it's always infuriated me when people call Daz an underdog, he produced a gang of mid nineties hits for Snoop and Pac as well as making a bunch of sicktacular album tracks.

furthermore, Kurupt never lost inspiration per se. whenever he writes a verse it is the shit, but I believe that he has freestyled 96% of his post death row work. I think he wrote less than 10 songs on SIAM, and from there less and less. I think we could count on 4-5 discs ABSOLUTE tops every song Kurupt actually wrote his verses too. i think the VAAAAST majority of Kurupt's work is freestyled, not based on quality but based on the way the verses come out. they often have a 'searching for words' feel to them. sidenote, Jay Z is known for doing this and they are both Saggitarius.
furthermore, Kurupt is my favorite rapper period and it pisses me off that he doesn't write more.

what pisses me off about the beef is that right before the beef daz and snoop were not working together and as soon as Kurupt left snoop and daz started to work together again. they all 3 needed to be doing shit always and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

-T
-T

I consider Daz as an underdog in a more current sense, his major label deal didn't promote him well out here, and his solo projects haven't gotten the critcal love that they deserve. I leave what happened in the 90's to my personal taste only, because most rap fans don't remeber the music from that era.

I feel you about Kurupt reaching for words, and about him freestyling, but too me that's a lack off effort and motivation. He wasn't inspired to write shit, and being in a negative environment liek Death Row only hurt that. I think when he first git back together with Daz, he was a bit uncomfotable. Don't tell me that he doesn't hear those verses and think "man, this shit is fucking wack"  ?

Still, after listenig too Dogg Chit, you can tell he is getting better and more comfotable with Daz. Westcoast Aftershock has the potential to be there best album since D & YG.

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 12:51:28 AM »
these days the problem with the pound is Kurupt

Daz is still dope plus he can make good beats still, I like majority of the production Dogg Chit

Kurupt is just awful though and ruins the whole album, he only rhymed all his bars on like 1-2 and he talks a surprising amount of nonsense

Daz talks about the same shit but at least he has a mic presence and flow

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 01:00:12 AM »
Man !! Kurupt ruins the whole album ??  :o

:'( don't think so

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:01:33 AM »
these days the problem with the pound is Kurupt

Daz is still dope plus he can make good beats still, I like majority of the production Dogg Chit

Kurupt is just awful though and ruins the whole album, he only rhymed all his bars on like 1-2 and he talks a surprising amount of nonsense

Daz talks about the same shit but at least he has a mic presence and flow

I thought Kurupt did his thing on the majority of the tracks imo. Daz was the one who's verses were interchangeable on Dogg Chit. His production was good though, but I really felt like Kurupt help this album down very well. Alot of his verses were pointless, but his flow was always good.

WestCoasta

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 01:01:59 AM »
I think "Can't Get Enough" and "Throw Ya Hood Up" were the only tracks he didn't fuck the song up

"Bucc Em" is probably the best on the album and he didn't do a thing to help it, Daz made him look retarded

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:06:39 AM »
Kurupt rips up

"Everybody"

"Anybody Killa"

"1 N 1 Out"

"Where U From"

"Blaze It Up"

in addition to sounding dope/dropping some heat on

"Bucc 'em"

"Good azz day"

"throw ya hood"

"vibe"

"can't get enough"

'drawz down'

The only problem with DP now in my view is Daz' dark ass synth production that sound like Styles P diss song beats. like "mo murder", "1 n 1 out", "thiz gangsta shit is ours", "I'll bury ya", and "get out my way"

i skip all of those songs because they are dark and non musical thus non enjoyable to me which is a shame cause Kurupt might be spittin some heat on them. The problem with DP in my mind is Daz' inability to admit to himself that the best production style he has is g funk and he can't admit it because he hears all the time from the hip hop community or whatever that g funk is dead. To me, if you were willing to give up on it why would warren be saying g funk for life and shit? that shit is the truth...did george clinton stop funkin? fuck no. did James Brown stop funkin? fuck no. should dogg pound stop funkin? fuck no.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
Not a diss Tanj, but I don't think I would really be feeling that G-Funk sound right now. Maybe something more like Dillenger & Young Gotti, but G-Funk to me has passed. I still bump the old shit, just not intersted in new G-Funk.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 01:13:18 AM »
Not a diss Tanj, but I don't think I would really be feeling that G-Funk sound right now. Maybe something more like Dillenger & Young Gotti, but G-Funk to me has passed. I still bump the old shit, just not intersted in new G-Funk.

i used to think so too, but 'where u from' proves to me it's still relevant.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

WestCoasta

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:17:52 AM »
since they got back together the only track I can remember where Kurupt sounded real good was "Keep It Gangsta" off Cali Iz Active

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:21:06 AM »
I still though Kurupt sounded wierd on CIA, just drugged out or something ( i'm being serious ).

I see what Westcoast is coming from, because Kurupt just kinda spit a bucnh of random words together. I just though the words sounded pretty good. 8)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 01:30:41 AM »
since they got back together the only track I can remember where Kurupt sounded real good was "Keep It Gangsta" off Cali Iz Active

fair enough, but that said do you see why I feel you guys are being harsh on Kurupt lyrically on CIA considering it contains his best lyrical showing in years?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 01:31:08 AM »
dude u need to calm down...

u just now herd they shit 15 years late .... and u rankin shit

keep listenin