Author Topic: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography  (Read 8780 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2008, 07:46:31 PM »
i'm not expecting them to step anything up per se but they should fill their albums with more tracks like

'good azz day' and 'where u from' from DC because it's their strong suit

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
i'm not expecting them to step anything up per se but they should fill their albums with more tracks like

'good azz day' and 'where u from' from DC because it's their strong suit

-T

+1 both dope songs 8)

Okka

« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
I don't know what's up with the hate on "Dillinger & Young Gotti 2", that album is bangin from start to end. Couple of weak songs, but that's it.

Johnny B

« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »
I don't know what's up with the hate on "Dillinger & Young Gotti 2", that album is bangin from start to end. Couple of weak songs, but that's it.

yea, it's got replay value for sure. I was listening to it the other night for the first time in a while. I love the smooth g-funk DPG brings to the table here.

unfortunately, like other ppl said, the first D&YG just drags on and has almost NO replay value. I actually threw out that album after a month.

Dogg Food still gets occasional spins from me. it's a classic, hands down.

CIA is another story. the only songs that stuck out to me were:

- Sittin' On 23'z
- Slow Your Roll
- Keep It Gangsta

DC, ugh, only maybe three songs I even continue to spin:

- Vibe
- 1 N 1 Out
- Bucc'em

I don't even listen to DPG anymore as a whole. I usually listen to Kurupt/Daz's solo shit mostly (since I've gotten into east coast/south more-so within the last year). I've been really disappointed with them and since listening to more modern west coast music, their shit just seems to drag on and not interest me. I pretty much gave up on Daz.

however, I'm still looking forward to Kurupt's solo shit coming out soon.

Chad Vader

« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Convos about Dogg Food;

As far as Dogg Food goes initially the NY NY song was supposed to be a tribute song about NY but after what happened in the Source awards in 1995 with Death Row getting booed and Suge making the comments about Puffy really instigated the whole East/West beef and that Dogg Food album was kind of revamped oriiginally it was to feature East Coast artists 2 songs in particula,r Don't Stop with Nas and Got My Mind Made Up with Method Man, Redman and Inspectah Deck were supposed to be on there but Suge took them off and gave Got My Mind Made Up to Pac and removed Deck's verse and Don't Stop was also given to Pac and eventually released later on with Daz releasing the original version on The Last Of Tha Pound. I feel that album could've been uniting the 2 coasts and maybe the East/West thing would've never happened I mean it really was just a personal thing between Pac and Big. As far as the released version goes it sure did make an impact here in NY because it made us take notice when Kurupt basically lyrically assassinated us on our own shit. The East was forever talking about how the West does not have dope MC's that they are just about the beats and Kurupt perfected the combination of West coast gangsta rhymes mixed with East coast battle raps on that record.

Coming to the Doggfood issue,hmmm. I lived in NYC at the time too.
So I definatly know what youīre talking about.
I agree that the Pac VS Biggie beef was personal,but we both know that East VS West beef was not about that.
It was about the biased ass "NYC critics",that is another topic that the OG post should trigger a convo about.
I had had a lot of heatet arguements with my boys back then about this.
Is the album dope and a West Coast classic?
No doubt about it,but again itīs a extension of Doggystyle so it could be dismissed on that premise.
But it wasnīt another Dre produced project,Daz did his own thing and Kurupt came correct showing that the west could hang with the East on the mic. So yes this album should also be up for debate for the overall classic status.

When it comes to the Cube albums I donīt agree,they might be personal favorites/classics,but far from overall classics.
Death Certificate and AmeriKKKas Most Wanted yes,even if I personally donīt feel AmeriKKKas Most Wanted I canīt front that it was a important album for itīs time. Personally I take Predator and Lethal Injection over it,but thatīs subjective opinion.

yeah its hard for me not to be biased about Dogg Food cause it might be my favorite album of all time definitely in my top 5, overall classic well it is definitely not cut and dry very debatable and I would like to compare it favorably to an east coast album that came out the same year Mobb Deep The Infamous. Now I would put Dogg Food right up there with Mobb Deep's album you had Shook Ones Pt II which was one of the alltime coldest rap joints off of The Infamous and then you have N.Y.N.Y off of Dogg Food which is comparable in the same sense. Both albums had MC's who were considered to be probably top 10-15 at the time and both had partners who were dope producers in Havoc and Daz. Were it not for the East/West contreversy I would tend to think that the NY critics might have had a different view on Dogg Food as far as its classic status

^^^^^
Mobb Deep with Shook Ones had a stronger single,but Dogg Food is a more consistent album.
Maybe,I'm just saying maybe... if Dogg Food had some stronger singles to lead the album it would have made a difference?

good point, I was confused to what Dogg Food's lead single was gonna be because I had seen something on MTV a little before the album was supposed to come out and they had I think Kurupt playing "Respect" in a car and saying something to the effect that it would be the first single and all of a sudden the "Let's Play House" video comes out and I was like wtf but I guess commercially that was a pretty radio friendly track with Michelle but maybe if they would have led off the album with "NY, NY" I think it would have packed a bigger punch initially. I think another factor was the East Coast West Coast thing had just popped off and I remember NY radio at the time started to lay off the west coast tracks around 1995 so the album suffered in NYC and didn't have the impact that previous Death Row releases had here. I just listened to the album over the weekend and its really hard for me not to consider it a classic the production on this by Daz and the 2 DJ Pooh tracks is amazing alot of people forget that and see no Dre production but Dre did mix the album which makes a world of difference and I'm not so sure he didn't have a hand in some of the production of it as well

Youīre right I heard "Respect" on the radio a couple of months before on the radio as well,
got a little confused because Dre speaks in the beginning but it didnīt sound like a Dre production.
I wasnīt sure who would produce the album before it dropped,because of all the conflicting rumors and talk in interviews.
Then they pick "Letīs play house",a terrible track in my opinion. Definatily not a track for the East Coast,so this could be a factor.

how would you personally rate the album?
and how would you rate it if you try to be as objective as possible?

Personal rating; 4/5 thereīs a couple of tracks that got to go.
Objective rating; 4/5 thatīs only musicallly/lyrically speaking. (because of some of the weaker cuts)
Thereīs other aspects to be considered,like Iīve discussed with HighEyeCue and others in this thread before.
This album made some serious damage when it came out and still getīs mad love,
but if you compare to The Chronic well then it comes short.  :-\
So to rate it is really tuff,but then again look at all those East Coast albums that only had local buzz that got rave ratings.
Just because a album only or for the most spoke to the west coast,doesnīt mean it lacks the qualities of a classic.
But again this shit is hard.....

thanks for the Rap Pages review Chad I remember reading it back then in 1996, my favorite album of all time, lets for arguments sake put Can't C Me on like it was supposed to be, definitely puts it over the hump and is a CLASSIC album 5/5 :laugh:

ohh well,I donīt know about that.
But Iīll do a serious breakdown of Dogg Food,Niggaz 4 Life,Regulate and Bow Down.
To see what I come up with myself....  :P
Is there any more albums that we have discussed that should have been granted a classic status?

Dogg Pound; Dogg Food;

-1. Intro
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Dope intro
2. Doggpound Gangstaz
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Kurupt absolutely KILLS it,the beat is fire. CLASSIC!
3. Respect
Lyrics; 8
Beat; 5
Donīt feel the beat,but Kurupt kills it so...
4. New York, New York
Lyrics; 8
Beat; 5
I know a lot of you cats LOVE this track,but I think itīs average. Sorry.
Iīll give you that Kurupt kills it tho...
5. Smooth
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Like the name of the track itīs smooth... love it.
Again Kurupt kills it.
6. Cyco-Lic-No
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Love it....
7. Riden Slipen And Sliden
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Smooth...
8. Big Pimpen
Lyrics; 6
Beat; 6
Average
9. Let's Play House
Lyrics; 5
Beat; 2
Never liked it,donīt like it now. Terrible break.....
10. I Don't Like To Dream About Gettin' Paid
Lyrics; 5
Beat; 5
Donīt feel it,again terrible break....
11. Do What I Feel
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
This is more my shit,tight beat and Kurupt....
12. If We All
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Simply love how they trade rhymes back and forth... classic
13. Some Bomb Azz
Lyrics; 10
Beat; 10
Smooth...
14. A Doggz Day After Noon
Lyrics: 10
Beat; 10
Some gangster shit... loving it
15. Reality
Lyrics; 6
Beat; 6
Average
16. One By One
Lyrics; 6
Beat; 6
Average
17. Sooo Much Style
Lyrics; 8
Beat; 8
cool

280/340 that should leave my PERSONAL rating around 3.5
it still feels like 4 when I dump the tracks I donīt feel.
Pluss;
I might have been a little too hard on it and the album has qualities that could qualify as a classic.

Here you go HighEyeCue a Dogg Food review,as you can see they gave it 7 out of 10 (3.5/5).  >:(
294 Dogg Pound; Dogg Food review in Rap Pages January 1996

Okka

« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »
As far as Dogg Food goes initially the NY NY song was supposed to be a tribute song about NY but after what happened in the Source awards in 1995 with Death Row getting booed and Suge making the comments about Puffy really instigated the whole East/West beef.

I don't know where did you get this from, but i got the 1995 Source Awards on DVD and most of the people were feeling Death Row, i can't hear them gettin booed.