Author Topic: Shock Value: Music Is Changing!!!  (Read 862 times)

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
Re: Shock Value: Music Is Changing!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »
^^^ what are ur favorite tracks on the album? i didnt really listen to the whole thing just kinda skimmed through it
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »
Yes, everybody dissed someone on that song, or so they say. Timbaland dissed Storch, Timberlake dissed Prince and Nelly dissed Fergie. Storch also responded with a video and him rapping and shit.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 11:09:14 AM »
I definitely agree with the whole pop producers being faceless idea. That's why I think the sales of Justin Timerlake's album and Nelly Furtado's album won't be mirrored with Timbaland's album. The majority of people buying these albums won't be hip-hop fans and more importantly will probably about 12 years old (yeah I know that's a generalisation), I know when I was about that age or a bit younger I just knew what songs I liked, I didn't go and research the songs or the producers or anything like that I just knew I liked the song.

XaNdEr

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
^^^ what are ur favorite tracks on the album? i didnt really listen to the whole thing just kinda skimmed through it

Release
Way I Are
Come And Get Me (sounds very Dre-ish with another twist)
Kill Yourself
Scream
Miscommunication
Time

those are def my favorites

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:09 AM »
im just not feeling it dude
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 11:53:56 AM »
I don't dislike it cus of the features, I dislike it because it sucks.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 12:38:50 PM »
I dont think the sound is either pop, rap, rock... its just Timbaland.

Album is perfect for the summer, at party, car... anyone who expected some raw hip hop or some lyrically content is an idiot.

People forget that Justin, Nelly and these other pop acts are the reason why Timbaland stepped his game up.

rik

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »

To me it does.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 01:13:50 PM »
I dont think the sound is either pop, rap, rock... its just Timbaland.

Album is perfect for the summer, at party, car... anyone who expected some raw hip hop or some lyrically content is an idiot.

People forget that Justin, Nelly and these other pop acts are the reason why Timbaland stepped his game up.

Lol c'mon, just because some pop shit was expectable it doesn't mean it's awesome. Also he didn't step his game up recently, he might have built up a greater fan base or something, but he didn't get better.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
Imo Timbaland is shaping a whole new rapstyle. His album Shock Value is soooooo nice, its beautiful music, simplistic beats yet they are so advanced and smooth compared to all other beats coming out.

I know many dislike this album cause it features Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent etc. but i consider this the first classic of 2007. The music Timbaland makes is really different then everything else coming out.

I can definately see Timbaland Shocking all of the hiphop community with this, and everyone all ciritcizing his album and not buying it. But look at the albumcover:

Timbaland standing already in the room, he made his album, everyones criticizing his new music. But he left the door open, with his new sound, for a new popular sort of music and for others to follow his route, aka he introduced us (the public) to a different type of music.

Thats why the cover is really cool imo. But lets go back to the music, every song on the album is put together really crafty, with time spend on it, not just rushed efforts to make money. He blends different styles (rap, pop, rock etc.) into one music-style. And it actually sounds great. It is not rap, but it's hiphop though. Hiphop is about creativity, putting in effort to create a unique piece of music, to make your own thing and not just copy styles. This is exactly the definition of Shock Value, and it shocks us heavily since it's "no hiphop" "too poppy" or "weak". All i know though, is that Timbaland did his own thing on this album, and has succesfully put together a shiny diamond in the collection of hiphop albums on my shelf.

Now im curious about your opinions, so what do y'all think of this album?

Man, I didn't listen to this that much, but he seems to have tried too hard to make this album a "diamond". Now, his mind was in the right place, and the music was a good idea, it just seemed very contrived to me if that makes any sense. These tracks would be good on the radio as separete singles, but too fill a whole album with them is not my taste.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
Hiphop is about creativity, putting in effort to create a unique piece of music, to make your own thing and not just copy styles.

^^^^^^^^^^^What genre would say that this is not what it's about?

furthermore, the cover is like a horror movie mock-up, which is clever in its own way I think.

i heard 3/4 of the album so far and haven't finished yet not cause it's bad but because it didn't hook me/engage me.  everything i heard was listenable, pleasant, even often melodic but the first 12-15 tracks or so did not grab me/engage me to compel me to listen to the rest. BUT i am going to burn it and give it a full whip rotation and will get back to you with more informed thoughts on the record.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 05:23:08 AM »
Shock Value=Press Play         from the start they were MADE FOR SALE ! the beats are very nice, but they are not hip hop imo, they are pop !
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

XaNdEr

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:28 AM »
To each his own, props to anyone in this thread replying on my post. Its all good.

@ Tanji, im waitin for ya reply  ;)

Real talk, disliking and sucking is different. No homo.

Man, I didn't listen to this that much, but he seems to have tried too hard to make this album a "diamond". Now, his mind was in the right place, and the music was a good idea, it just seemed very contrived to me if that makes any sense. These tracks would be good on the radio as separete singles, but too fill a whole album with them is not my taste.

Thats cool man, we all got different tastes, to me this album is really deep, i feel it and have listened to it much since it came out. But of course i can understand if you cant relate to it, its all good.  ;D

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 01:02:34 PM »
To each his own, props to anyone in this thread replying on my post. Its all good.

@ Tanji, im waitin for ya reply  ;)

Real talk, disliking and sucking is different. No homo.

Thats cool man, we all got different tastes, to me this album is really deep, i feel it and have listened to it much since it came out. But of course i can understand if you cant relate to it, its all good.  ;D

Keep in mind, that I didn't listen to it but once or twice and not even on disc at that, sif it's that good, I miught have to check it out somemore.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 06:11:26 PM by reefer alston »

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »
I know many dislike this album cause it features Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent etc. but i consider this the first classic of 2007. The music Timbaland makes is really different then everything else coming out.

None of that. Timbaland is riding on top of a wave, and he's taking it to the max, that's for sure. But how is this "really different" from anything else coming out these days? Dre makes identical beats, and this whole style is simply an evolution of the sound of popular rap music. When I first heard the album, my initial response was

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Timbaland standing already in the room, he made his album, everyones criticizing his new music. But he left the door open, with his new sound, for a new popular sort of music and for others to follow his route, aka he introduced us (the public) to a different type of music.

Bright analysis; +1.

I guess you base that purely on the lyrical content?

I agree with you, you shouldnt listen to this album for lyrical content, but i see it as a way to showcase the versatile talents of Timbaland as a producer.

So how is this going to be a classic if it's nowhere near optimized as art? You just said that...

I agree with most of that! It seems Timbaland thought he had found a hit formula so he'd milk it, but the outcome is rather unsatisfying to me.

anyone who expected some raw hip hop or some lyrically content is an idiot.

Didn't you say it were better for Timbaland to have Jay-Z on the album instead of Sebastian, because that would improve the lyrics? :D

And why should Timbaland not drop any "raw hip hop"? He has done it before, his albums always used to be banging or smooth - they always appealed to the hiphop listener. Shock Value is... Different?