Author Topic: Shock Value: Music Is Changing!!!  (Read 859 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Shock Value: Music Is Changing!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »
Deliverance was a great album. Aaliyah had great pop beats. He gave great beats to Justin years ago. I don't see how people come to think that Timbaland is at his personal peak right now.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
Deliverance was a great album. Aaliyah had great pop beats. He gave great beats to Justin years ago. I don't see how people come to think that Timbaland is at his personal peak right now.

Mostly because they didn't experience all his legendary shit 1st hand.  They don't know nuthin bout Timbaland from like 96-01.  All these cats were signed w/ Blackground:  Ginuwine, 702, Missy, Tim & Magoo, Playa, Aaliyah?!?!  Tim was KILLIN shit in those days.  Tim was one of the few Hip Hop producers that could produce R&B every bit as well as Hip Hop.  Better than Dre & Primo in that respect.  And if peeps wanna talk popularity, all of his acts were at the top of the charts (except maybe Playa).  NOBODY was fuckin w/ Aaliyah - she was putting out INCREDIBLE albums that dominated the charts.  Ginuwine - PONY!?! KILLIN SHIT! 

And peeps think just cuz he works w/ Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado that he's at the top of his game? :grumpy:

Every R&B cat Tim had on Blackground>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Justin Timberlake

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 02:11:03 AM »
You might not like the overall sound of it but stricly instrumental speaking Timbalnd is on a whole different level then he was 10 years ago. It would be wierd if he wasnt, that would mean he hasnt improved shit. I have pretty much every Timbaland track from Alliyah to Ginuwine to Missy... and also a collection of like 300 instrumental of his. And just by listening to those you can easilly spot that todays ones are better, there are so many background effects, better melody, better mixing.

XaNdEr

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 02:38:21 AM »
Yeah thats what im saying. Timbaland's sound is changed nowadays, it sounds more, complete, i think. I have a lot of Timbaland's earlier carreer (for example all beats Jay-Z was on, some R&B one's) though i havent listened to all. But from what i heard i can clearly say hes on another level nowadays. And not cause he works with Justin Timberlake or Nelly Furtado, cause basically theyre on just 2 or 3 songs of the total of 17.

I know many dislike this album cause it features Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent etc. but i consider this the first classic of 2007. The music Timbaland makes is really different then everything else coming out.

None of that. Timbaland is riding on top of a wave, and he's taking it to the max, that's for sure. But how is this "really different" from anything else coming out these days? Dre makes identical beats, and this whole style is simply an evolution of the sound of popular rap music. When I first heard the album, my initial response was

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Popular and rap music? That doesnt add up anymore. Popular rap nowadays is Akon. Lol. From my point of view, when i listen to Shock Value i dont hear anything played out, or anything thats overdone. Timbaland kept it, producing-wise, on the top and made sure every song is original from the other ones on the album. As a musical experience i'd say its one of the best albums coming out last years. But then again, thats my point of view, and who am i?

I guess you base that purely on the lyrical content?

I agree with you, you shouldnt listen to this album for lyrical content, but i see it as a way to showcase the versatile talents of Timbaland as a producer.

So how is this going to be a classic if it's nowhere near optimized as art? You just said that...

I dont think i said that. I said, and think, production-wise this album is definately classic. Listen to the instrumentals in that case. But it is a matter of opinions, just as much the discussion about who's better Big or Pac, its all opinions. Fact is, Timbaland is making beats for many different genres and artists, from Jay-Z to Nelly Furtado to Redman to Justin Timberlake to Lloyd Banks and every other cat he has worked with in his carreer. Is that cause his beats are played out? Or use the same concept everytime? I dont think so, it's cuz people respect his talents behind the boards.

Production-wise this album is classic, lyrical-wise it can be discussed, even though i think every track does what it needs to do, bring heat. Wether that is in the form of R&B, Hip-Hop or Rock-like songs, they all sound different, smooth and unique.

Man, I didn't listen to this that much, but he seems to have tried too hard to make this album a "diamond". Now, his mind was in the right place, and the music was a good idea, it just seemed very contrived to me if that makes any sense. These tracks would be good on the radio as separete singles, but too fill a whole album with them is not my taste.

I agree with most of that! It seems Timbaland thought he had found a hit formula so he'd milk it, but the outcome is rather unsatisfying to me.

If it was such a big hit formula he would have gone plat by now. Since if that was the case everyone in the mainstream would bump it by now, they dont though, so how can he have found a succesformula when he aint sold shit?

Again the discussion wether you should value albums on quantity or quality arises, and in my opinion its about the quality and sales should be left out completely. He produced Justin Timberlake's and Nelly Furtado's albums last year, but did that make him hit or find a succesformula?

If that was the case both artists would be all over Shock Value while Justin Timberlake is on 3 songs of the 17 while Nelly Furtado is even on just 1. I dont think he tried to make a "succesformula" just a album with different sounds and genres, to show the public he can do r&b, rap and rock-like songs.

anyone who expected some raw hip hop or some lyrically content is an idiot.

Didn't you say it were better for Timbaland to have Jay-Z on the album instead of Sebastian, because that would improve the lyrics? :D

And why should Timbaland not drop any "raw hip hop"? He has done it before, his albums always used to be banging or smooth - they always appealed to the hiphop listener. Shock Value is... Different?

IF you want lyrics you shouldnt go to Jay-Z. Those are not my words anyways, but i would just like to say Jay-Z's succes is mainly based on the hype he has created around him. Not on his raw talent. And besides, Timbaland's albums in the past werent really "raw" and "lyrical" as well, but ever since he hit some gold last year with some pop/r&b albums people go hate on the kid and say he fell off or is not trying to make rap, just pop. Just like what happened with 50 Cent.

I dont get it, indian flute features Magoo, who is featured on Shock Value as well, he isnt really changed much with guests and all. But now he makes pop and back in the "good old days" it was rap? Thats hipocrit to say imo. He just makes music the way he wants it, wether you like it or not is irrelevant, and i can only say im happy at least 1 producer is doing his own thing and not copying others.

But like i said, i love all the opinions and replies (no homo) cuz it shows what you like about it and dont like about it. +1 to everyone in this thread.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:44:03 AM by Je Weet Zelf »

Elevz

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »
I know many dislike this album cause it features Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent etc. but i consider this the first classic of 2007. The music Timbaland makes is really different then everything else coming out.

None of that. Timbaland is riding on top of a wave, and he's taking it to the max, that's for sure. But how is this "really different" from anything else coming out these days? Dre makes identical beats, and this whole style is simply an evolution of the sound of popular rap music. When I first heard the album, my initial response was

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Popular and rap music? That doesnt add up anymore. Popular rap nowadays is Akon. Lol. From my point of view, when i listen to Shock Value i dont hear anything played out, or anything thats overdone.

So how is this any better than Akon's music? It's pretty damn comparable to me, and I REALLY don't see what's so original about the sound of this album.

As a musical experience i'd say its one of the best albums coming out last years. But then again, thats my point of view, and who am i?

You from the beautiful city of Arnhem baby (going there next week btw)! Of course your opinion is to be respected! 8)

Man, I didn't listen to this that much, but he seems to have tried too hard to make this album a "diamond". Now, his mind was in the right place, and the music was a good idea, it just seemed very contrived to me if that makes any sense. These tracks would be good on the radio as separete singles, but too fill a whole album with them is not my taste.

I agree with most of that! It seems Timbaland thought he had found a hit formula so he'd milk it, but the outcome is rather unsatisfying to me.

If it was such a big hit formula he would have gone plat by now. Since if that was the case everyone in the mainstream would bump it by now, they dont though, so how can he have found a succesformula when he aint sold shit?

Again the discussion wether you should value albums on quantity or quality arises, and in my opinion its about the quality and sales should be left out completely. He produced Justin Timberlake's and Nelly Furtado's albums last year, but did that make him hit or find a succesformula?

If that was the case both artists would be all over Shock Value while Justin Timberlake is on 3 songs of the 17 while Nelly Furtado is even on just 1. I dont think he tried to make a "succesformula" just a album with different sounds and genres, to show the public he can do r&b, rap and rock-like songs.

Well, he did find a formula that really got himself to  shine alongside Timberlake and Furtado. You can't tell me he didn't intend to apply an identical formula (sound, style) to the first half of the album. Thing is, like someone before me said, that stuff sounds good for a single or maybe two (which he already gave to JT and Nelly Furtado) but then it gets boring. He's already had those hits, and now he's making an album filled with similar music? I call that trying to milk a phase he's already been through.

And of course, Timbaland hasn't got a fanbase anywhere near as big as Justin's. Sales don't reflect the possible success of this album, but really: the whole album was received poorly by critics and most fans.

Timbaland's albums in the past werent really "raw" and "lyrical" as well, but ever since he hit some gold last year with some pop/r&b albums people go hate on the kid and say he fell off or is not trying to make rap, just pop. Just like what happened with 50 Cent.

It's not like Timbaland's suddenly coming out of nowhere! He's been doing it big for years and years. In the past, his albums actually did appeal to his fans - he didn't feel the need to reach out for a bigger audience. His albums never were lyrical or anything, but they were good enjoyable hip-hop, to say the least.

I dont get it, indian flute features Magoo, who is featured on Shock Value as well, he isnt really changed much with guests and all.

Very, very wrong. Magoo wasn't featured on Indian Flute - it wasn't a damned guest appearance! Why do you think the front cover of Under Construction II reads "Timbaland & Magoo"?

But now he makes pop and back in the "good old days" it was rap? Thats hipocrit to say imo.

Well, basically, yeah. His "rap" albums were really enjoyable; this one barely is. But that's not because of the genre label you stick to this cd - the music is simply lacking spirit.

He just makes music the way he wants it, wether you like it or not is irrelevant

Yeah, who gives a damn about fans? They're irrelevant!

i can only say im happy at least 1 producer is doing his own thing and not copying others.

Not copying others? That's to be disputed. He does have his own style, but it's right there in the center of the rest of the evolution of pop music. Call that "doing his own thing" all you want, but I'm not with it.

But like i said, i love all the opinions and replies (no homo) cuz it shows what you like about it and dont like about it. +1 to everyone in this thread.  :)

There! :)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 04:25:17 PM »
http://rapidshare.com/files/25517568/Bubba_Sparxxx_-_Nowhere.mp3.html

No words needed. The music speaks for itself ;)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 04:29:27 PM »
timbo should have saved his best beats for that album.  if he had kept his best beats from the past 4-5 years instead of given them out, he would have had a much better album.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 04:30:56 PM »
timbo should have saved his best beats for that album.  if he had kept his best beats from the past 4-5 years instead of given them out, he would have had a much better album.

would rather hear an artist that does vocals over dope beats than an artists that doesn't normally do vocals over dope beats

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

ThisJustin

• Lil Geezy
  • 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »
I don't dislike it cus of the features, I dislike it because it sucks.
LMAO!!!! i peeped it and imo its not a classic of any sort...to me it sounds like something paris hilton should be singing on...but thats just me...i love timbo from way back when w/magoo and the whole blackground entertainment days...its club music imo and its catchy...but i have to disagree about being a classic...!!!

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 02:58:09 AM »
Again, it's not because of the features, it's a pop album because it's an album filled with pop music.

yeah it aint horrible... but it has a pop feel ... not my style

teecee

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 10:07:06 PM »

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Dude, you really think Dre has even attempted to make a song like Apologize or Time?  No way.  Those tracks are unlike anything heard from a hiphop producer.  While the entire album is not groundbreaking, to say that others are doing shit like this is true.

The more i listen to this album, the more i am impressed.  While i could do without horrible songs like Bounce and a couple of others, i am actually really feeling  songs on the album.  Nice album, the only problem is it doesn't really please fans of only one genre; for me, i am loving this shit because it isn't just hip hop. 

My favourite songs:

Time (to me this is by far the best song on the album)

Apologize (my second favourite, and i have never heard that type of singing over this type of track..wierd song but grew on me)

2 man Show (for all you homophobic losers who put NO HOMO after everything you say, you don't have to worry because Elton John does NOT sing on the track, only plays some dope ass piano)

The Way I Are (TIGHT beat, even if it is on some dance shit.......and I've been feeling DOE since Rollin......)

Kill Yourself (probably the best hiphop track on the album, beat is SICK, rapping is obviously average but fits the song)

I still can't believe heads actually expected a straight hiphop album.  Face it, TImbaland is better at pop/r&b than hiphop, at least right now.

For those who don't see what's original about this album, i kinda feel you because alot of it is club music, and also because the market is saturated with Timbaland music right now.  But really, of all mainstream producers, TImbaland does have the most unique sound, its just overplayed.  I haven't alwayss liked his shit over the years, but i don't know how you can't respect his creativity.  Check Time Apologize, and tell me that isn't some different shit.......