Author Topic: Just curious...what would you pick as the best street album of the past year???  (Read 500 times)

G. Sean Peters

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
I think by "street albums" he also means mixtapes that are only sold on the streets and at independent record stores.

Something you won't find at best buy, sam goody, target, etc.

floatin_above_everything

Nah, mixtape is a mixtape. An album , wheather street or major, should have original beats, like Ya Boy or JR.

Al Bundy

Mixtapes are finally doin it real big gettin sold on retail like JR Writer, Prodigy, Ya Boy, etc.

d-nice

I think by "street albums" he also means mixtapes that are only sold on the streets and at independent record stores.

The key like Reefer said is original material. If you rapping over industry beats that is automatically a mixtape IMO. That is just some ready made popular shit to rap over, which the industry really does not mind because it helps to generate money. If you have original beats to rap over, why not just make it a album. You may not have the push of a album on a major, but it's all original material.

Lunatic

The key like Reefer said is original material. If you rapping over industry beats that is automatically a mixtape IMO. That is just some ready made popular shit to rap over, which the industry really does not mind because it helps to generate money. If you have original beats to rap over, why not just make it a album. You may not have the push of a album on a major, but it's all original material.

+1

Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

floatin_above_everything

Well said.

d-nice

The flipside I am seeing from that though is the same like street singles. If the fans are not feeling the street single or album, it is a easy out for artists to say "Well that was not the official single, that's why". Most of the rappers I have seen do the street singles and albums have a CRAZY buzz around them and their projects so it usually works out.

floatin_above_everything

The flipside I am seeing from that though is the same like street singles. If the fans are not feeling the street single or album, it is a easy out for artists to say "Well that was not the official single, that's why". Most of the rappers I have seen do the street singles and albums have a CRAZY buzz around them and their projects so it usually works out.

Well it didn't seem to do much for Prodigy, he had 3-4 videos and didn't do much. DPG had 4 street singles and sold less than they were expected to do even considering how bad sales are down.

Lunatic

I've seen that happen COUNTLESS TIMES (especially recently)

snoop - vato
T.I. - front back
game - 1 blood
etc.

damn, d-nice talkin some real shit 2day ;D

Lunatic

Well it didn't seem to do much for Prodigy, he had 3-4 videos and didn't do much. DPG had 4 street singles and sold less than they were expected to do even considering how bad sales are down.

I'm not to sure i'd even count them youtube videos as street singles, lol

I look at that as more of a gift from them to there fans. Not even street singles have videos that simple :D

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me

so would you say an indie album counts as a street album? cause that's really what the clarification requests were about in the first place.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

d-nice

Prodigy's actually did ok, better than I thought, and I thought for sure he would drop after the Blood Money album. But the 3 videos he dropped were nice songs so I put him in the same boat as Kurupt, fans still listen because they remember how dope they spit back in the day and they think they will still get a album like the 90's from them.

Lunatic

so would you say an indie album counts as a street album? cause that's really what the clarification requests were about in the first place.

-T

that's not what I toke from it. I think d-nice is trying to say is something like if the fans aren't feeling the street single, the artist quickly says "well it don't matter, i just put it out for the sake of doing so, it's not the official single, i guarantee they'll enjoy the real single much more" etc.

Snoop did that with vato, t.i. with front back, game with 1 blood (i think) etc.

floatin_above_everything

Prodigy's actually did ok, better than I thought, and I thought for sure he would drop after the Blood Money album. But the 3 videos he dropped were nice songs so I put him in the same boat as Kurupt, fans still listen because they remember how dope they spit back in the day and they think they will still get a album like the 90's from them.

Prod & Kurupt have both improved in the last year as well imo.

floatin_above_everything

I'm gonna call it: A street album is an album with NO major label help at all, but mixtapes are mixtapes, not albums. I think that's a fair enough assesment.