Author Topic: Just curious...what would you pick as the best street album of the past year???  (Read 498 times)

d-nice

Actually you do put money into a street album but like I said if you have a label or are on a major and you are either posting it on a website or funding it yourself, it is more of a street album. If the label approves the material, you defeat the whole purpose of putting out the album yourself unless you think the label won't promote it well or is just not feeling the material that is submitted. Even in that case you are taking the album out "to the streets" and selling it yourself. It is hard to give examples because alot of artists are just now doing it. I used to work in the music industry at FYE/Wherhouse and I went to a couple music seminars they had so I seen a little bit of how the music industry works.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:15:38 PM by d-nice »

floatin_above_everything

Another example

Daz's Dogg Pound Gangsta LP=street album

So So Gangsta=major

See he has his own label and put money into it. If he were to go to Nima and say "Hey drop this album on the site for me", I would consider that more of a street album. Or having DJ Skee help him put it out.

Alright so, any thing that comes out on Gangsta Advisory, or maybe something that comes out on Diplomat records ( without Koch ), would NOT be a street album? If a rapper puts out an album independently, that doesn't constitute as a street album? I mean, we could put every Bay album in that category if that's the case.

d-nice

Another example

So So Gangsta=major

See he has his own label and put money into it. If he were to go to Nima and say "Hey drop this album on the site for me", I would consider that more of a street album. Or having DJ Skee help him put it out.

Alright so, any thing that comes out on Gangsta Advisory, or maybe something that comes out on Diplomat records ( without Koch ), would NOT be a street album? If a rapper puts out an album independently, that doesn't constitute as a street album? I mean, we could put every Bay album in that category if that's the case.

I guess to me if you are going to take the time to have your own label and set it up then it is more official than just putting a record out. If you are still having a major distributor put the records out then that is more official. Koch to me is a major distributor. Artists want the freedom to decide what kind of music they want to put out when they want to it. But they still want the album to be distributed to all the major markets. I guess if you are on independent label yourself, you have the freedom to put out whatever you want anyway. It fits more artists on majors. You said the Bay, Mistah Fab is putting a street album out before his official album on Atlantic.

floatin_above_everything

Well I meant, no Bay artists ( 40, Short, and alledgedly Mista Fab ) are on majors. Most have there own labels, so would you consider all Bay albums as street or no?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Another example

So So Gangsta=major

I guess to me if you are going to take the time to have your own label and set it up then it is more official than just putting a record out. If you are still having a major distributor put the records out then that is more official. Koch to me is a major distributor. Artists want the freedom to decide what kind of music they want to put out when they want to it. But they still want the album to be distributed to all the major markets. I guess if you are on independent label yourself, you have the freedom to put out whatever you want anyway. It fits more artists on majors. You said the Bay, Mistah Fab is putting a street album out before his official album on Atlantic.

Uh...I'm pretty sure Mistah FAB is putting out an indepent record first, not a 'street' album. I believe he's putting out a Thizz(which is indie) a record before the Universal one.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

d-nice

Well I meant, no Bay artists ( 40, Short, and alledgedly Mista Fab ) are on majors. Most have there own labels, so would you consider all Bay albums as street or no?

No because they set up their own labels or albums on their own, so those are official albums for them because you are putting it out indie. If the indie artists do not want to make money off the album and they give it away (N*gger Noize 4 example) that is a street album to me for a indie artist. Artists on majors I think it is a way to put out material maybe the label does not deem suitable for their album and still make money/give it away to fans.

d-nice

Another example

So So Gangsta=major

Uh...I'm pretty sure Mistah FAB is putting out an indepent record first, not a 'street' album. I believe he's putting out a Thizz(which is indie) a record before the Universal one.

-T

You're right. I am reading the interview right now. That would be a official album, just indie.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
Same Day Different Shit

floatin_above_everything

But Ya Boy's Chapter 1 had the Precise music group logo on the back of the CD. I'm fucking confused so that will lead me to this:

There is NO such thing as a "street" album, it's just a term used by rappers to promote an indy album, usually if they are going to release an album on a major in the next coming months. There is no category on Billboard for street album, I think if Ya Boy ( I'm using him, since The Rise seems to be the one that most people picked ), had sold 20-30K on this album, he would have charted on the independant charts.

I think the line between "street" and "indy" is blurred to much to deciper between the 2. 2 out of the 3 pages in this topic don't have anything to do with the best street/indy album of 07, it's too hard of an argument.

d-nice

But Ya Boy's Chapter 1 had the Precise music group logo on the back of the CD. I'm fucking confused so that will lead me to this:

There is NO such thing as a "street" album, it's just a term used by rappers to promote an indy album, usually if they are going to release an album on a major in the next coming months. There is no category on Billboard for street album, I think if Ya Boy ( I'm using him, since The Rise seems to be the one that most people picked ), had sold 20-30K on this album, he would have charted on the independant charts.

I think the line between "street" and "indy" is blurred to much to deciper between the 2. 2 out of the 3 pages in this topic don't have anything to do with the best street/indy album of 07, it's too hard of an argument.

Yeah I am getting a headache trying to figure it out myself. LOL! O guess if they say it is then it is, fuck it. I would consider N*gger Noize a street album just being the only way you can get it is on music sites. Same with Snoop's Unrelased Heatrocks. You can't buy it in stores, you can only buy it on his myspace. But, to say on topic  ;D, I like Bishop and Topic's albums and Ya Boy's. Crooked I's from last year also still gets crazy spins from me.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Same Day Different Shit

indie, not street.

Yeah I am getting a headache trying to figure it out myself. LOL! O guess if they say it is then it is, fuck it. I would consider N*gger Noize a street album just being the only way you can get it is on music sites. Same with Snoop's Unrelased Heatrocks. You can't buy it in stores, you can only buy it on his myspace. But, to say on topic  ;D, I like Bishop and Topic's albums and Ya Boy's. Crooked I's from last year also still gets crazy spins from me.

I think i got it:

a mixtape is a mix of original songs and sampled music, often has DJ drops.

a street album is a mixtape with all originally produced music/songs (nigger noise)

anything else is an official album, even online available stuff like hittman's album and heat rocks are albums being sold by independent companies...they're still albums.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

Same Day Different Shit

indie, not street.

I think i got it:

a mixtape is a mix of original songs and sampled music, often has DJ drops.

a street album is a mixtape with all originally produced music/songs (nigger noise)

anything else is an official album, even online available stuff like hittman's album and heat rocks are albums being sold by independent companies...they're still albums.

-T

Sounds good to me. It's funny because DJ Crazy Toones does not even call most of the mixtapes out mix tapes. He said where is the mixing and the scratching at? But Tanj the way you broke it down makes sense. If a album has those annoying DJ drops on it, but still original material, it's a street album.

floatin_above_everything

How can it be a mixtape if there's only original beats/lyrics? Why would that not be an album too?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
How can it be a mixtape if there's only original beats/lyrics? Why would that not be an album too?

DJ drops, free release etc. Nigger noise is the perfect example.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

DJ drops, free release etc. Nigger noise is the perfect example.

-T

I c. Haven't heard the Bishop CD.