Author Topic: I think I'm gonna throw away my television.  (Read 791 times)

jeromechickenbone

I think I'm gonna throw away my television.
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »
I find myself getting increasingly more angry with television.  I cannot stand ANY of the major news outlets.  Most of the channels that used to actually broadcast quality programming have all completely sold out.  I'm so tired of being bombarded with all of their agenda's and hype.  They're all part of a few massive conglomerates so it's like the same fucking formula rehashed over and over.  I CAN'T FUCKING STAND COMMERCIALS.  I go semi-comatose when I see one.  I literally can watch 4 minutes of commercials and have no idea what I just saw.  (Well at least on a conscious level). 

I honestly don't even watch tv much anyway.  I do watch sports, however a lot of those tend to suck.  The announcers are usually extremely corny and sappy, and blow everything out of proportion and try to make it some monumental epiphanic moment.  Like they just force everything.  ESPN is beyond fucking horrible.  And there's usually some interesting shit on the History channel or A&E but I don't tune into those much.

This is why I love the internet.  I'm not forced to watch or listen to anything I don't want to.  Not that I'm forced to watch tv, but there just doesn't seem to be any independance in TV, it's all big business.  I've learned and heard infinitely more music on the net that I love, whereas MTV / BET stopped being relevant musically years ago.  I can get my news from much more even handed sources.  I can be enlightened and exposed to infinite knowledge online, whereas certain subjects that are important most tv stations won't touch with a 10 foot fucking pole.

Holla if ya hear me.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: I think I'm gonna throw away my television.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:30:53 PM »

Lol kind of ironic when i just sat through a marathon load of prison break episodes but I hear you apart from a couple of series, I watch jack all. What you said regarding the comatose state...you go into something which is lower that the alpha state of consciousness i.e. somewhere between sleep and being barely awake. That damn box is just the ideal tool for brainwashing because when your in that state you soak up what you are seeing and hearing without even reealising it. What you said about the bombardment of commercials is damn right to you can literally sit there for hours and recall maybe only a few of the commercials. Between the internet, reading and just being out and about in truth do we really need television? nope although I have a feeling the gamers will disageee but anyway......i respect what you are saying completely!

We Fly High

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:19:07 AM »
the only thing i watch is court tv, food network, history channel, national geographic, discovery, etc..maybe you should get HD programming, it'll change your life., haha.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:16:40 AM »
i remember all those good Talkback productions in the 90s and just think what the fuck has happenned now its all reality tv and competitions and fucking shite

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:36:34 AM »
The only channel I get is the CW.  So I watch That 70's show, King of Queens, Seinfeld, and I'm up on my Top Model and Pussycat Doll shit lol

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
I hardly watch TV.. basically I only watch TV for soccer and basketball... and DVD. Pretty much everything fictional that I watch I either rent or d*wnl*ad. And the sports that I watch I only get on pay-tv, which means no commercials. Awesome. Now that I think about it, the last time that I saw several minutes of commercials was when I was at the movies  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:53:36 AM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:39:46 PM »
i only watch sports,the simpsons and family guy

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 03:49:26 AM »
i only watch seinfeld, that 70s show, family guy, and movies, and i hate watching movies on tv, i like dvds or downloads from computer.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 08:12:36 AM »
Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order and the rest of the police shows are good to watch.

Rest of the shit is all reality shows. Everythang is played out.

G. Sean Peters

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
I only mainly watch sports, Prison Break, and The Shield when there are new episodes on. Anything else i just download or buy on dvd. After seeing what ridiculous reality series they got on like Flavor Of Love, Super Nanny, and those lame ass dating programs on mtv, i've just about had it with TV. I really could go without cable but i'm addicted to watching sports so thats why i keep it on.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:58:27 AM by Gus The G-Funk Maniac »

Elevz

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 09:30:55 AM »
I never did understand man's need to watch sports, or series (Prison Break, Lost etc.), or action flicks. There's no damned merit in it.

I don't really watch a lot of tv at all. I'll sometimes watch a good talk show (not the American type), or some news backgrounds, but always attempting to remain focused on the message and the intentions. The only reason I watch tv is to stimulate my mind, not to let it slip into a subconscious state of idleness.

Oh yeah, sometimes when I'm over at a friend's place, or with my lady's parents, they'll have the tv on and they're watching these brainless celebrity-shows or soap series, always interrupted by commercials. Those are the moments I remind myself how happy I am that I don't have to rely on such bullshit to define my life. Don't get me wrong - I love those people, but something went wrong along the way.

Holla if ya hear me.

+1 :D

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
only watch sports, re runs of seinfeld or fresh prince, sopranos, curb youre enthousiasm an entourage

Smoke Break

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:57:38 AM »
There is way too much trash on these days, but the history channel, discovery, national geographic, documentary channel, and even comedy central hold it down.

everlast1986

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »
Everything aired on comedy central is filler besides The Daily Show, Colbert Report and South Park.

Smoke Break

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
They show some good standup sometimes too