Author Topic: This just goes to show how pathetic of a president Bush really is...  (Read 125 times)

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
DALLAS, United States (AFP) - Plans to establish a presidential library and think tank for George W. Bush at his wife's alma mater in Texas have come under fire from both faculty and the clergy associated with Southern Methodist University.

A vocal group of professors, concerned about how an institute billed to be "inspired by the principles of George W. Bush's administration" might affect the university's reputation, have been working to block the library.

At a recent vote, the faculty senate split 13-13 over creating a complete divide between the institute and the university, where First Lady
Laura Bush earned a bachelor of science degree in education in 1968.

"I'm concerned that we're going to be judged by the things this institute does," said history professor Benjamin Johnson.

"These guys are so divisive, so unpopular, it seems to me really dangerous to go for an arrangement that could turn the face of your university over to them without any controls over them."

Fifteen current and retired bishops have launched an online petition saying that the "linking of his presidency with a university bearing the Methodist name is utterly inappropriate." It currently has over 10,000 signatures.

The bishops are critical of the war in
Iraq and the administration's treatment of enemy combatants.

"I am hesitant to see Southern Methodist University welcoming the institute of a Methodist who has been so contrary to the teachings of the Methodist Church," said Reverend C. Joseph Sprague, a recently retired Chicago-area Methodist bishop who helped sponsor the petition.

"It will do nothing but perpetuate the kind of neocon (neoconservative) thinking of this administration which has taken both this nation and the world in the wrong direction."

The criticism comes as university leaders enter final negotiations, which they say they hope to conclude "within weeks, rather than months."

Library planners -- including former White House chief of staff Andrew Card and Bush's brother Marvin -- have made it clear they have not ruled out Baylor University in Waco, although the president recently told a Dallas television station that he was "leaning heavily toward SMU."

Bush retains the support of a large part of SMU's faculty and administration, who think it will raise the university's profile and dismiss concerns that the institute will be packed with Bush cronies who will promote the rationale for war and other policies that the administration has fostered.

Bush recently came to the defense of his library.

"I understand there are some who have reservations, and my admonition to them, or my advice to them, is just understand that a library, an institute, would enhance education," he said in the interview with the Dallas television station.

"It would be a place for interesting discussion."
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

jeromechickenbone

Re: This just goes to show how pathetic of a president Bush really is...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
Not too surprising.  Methodists tend to be a bit more liberal in their views.  He'd probably have a much better shot at a place like Baylor which is a Baptist school.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
lol @ principles of the Bush administration
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
that is hilarious

Chief

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:50:37 AM »
i dont think we need anymore proof of GW's competency or reputation.