Author Topic: Thoughts on Kurupt after finally hearing the discography  (Read 2969 times)

Al Bundy

Re: Thoughts on Kurupt after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 01:45:55 PM »
damn you people really hate kuruption lol i think it's his best CD

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 01:19:52 AM »
Sureno Gangster, while I agree that he rips up i didn't change, I wasn't all that impressed by eat a dicc daz

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 05:31:25 PM »
Kuruption 3/5. Pretty dope album, but like all 2cd sets, he should have just combined the best tracks. The idea was original too, and East and west disc, but most of this album wasn't too hot. Best track: "We Can Freak It"

The Streetz Iz A Muthafucka 4.5/5 My favorite Kurupt album, among the last where his lyrics actually made sense. Great production, and it had a Westcoast feel to it in a good way. He sounded the most comfortable and having the most fun on this. All the DPG guest spots make it great too. One of the few cases where an album with many songs diversified in sound and didn't become cluttered. Best track: "Callin Out Names"

Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessy 3.5/5 Cool album, better than Kuruption, but the songs with Lethal, Fred Durst, Everlast & Natina did not work out. Thats a considerable chunk of the album. Now he did have some great tracks and this was a popular album when it came out too. Just a little too much sappy radio ready shit, but still ranks up there as better than Kuruption Best Track: "On Onsite"

Young Gotti Against The Grain 2.5/5 Just terrible. What happened to his lyrics and flow on this? Production wasn't terrible, but for someone as good as Kurupt, I dunno man. This has got to be one of the worst album a respected rapper has ever put out. I mean the lyrics were so embarrasingly bad, rhyming the same word twice without meaning. Shit was sad as fuck to hear Kurupt sink this low. Best track: "Slide N Slide Out"

Same Day Different Shit 3.5/5 Not a bad album once it has sunk in that Kurupt isn't a very good lyricist anymore. The beats were better on SDDS than any Kurupt album except for SIAMF. Kurupt did have decent lyrics on a few tracks, but for the most part, didn't give the effort he should have. He did sound very good with Daz, and I always wondered what a Kurupt album entirley produced by Daz would be like. In fact, Daz & Ivan's production was the sole reason that SDDS gets this high of a rating.
Best track: "I get High 2"

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
Man, I love ATG. like I said diversity of opinion on this matter is nuts(re:more than the usual topic of discssion...there is no consensus on anything except the fact that TSIAM is classic...everything else is all over the place ratings wise on this board), but that's cool.

I'm settling on the idea that Kurupt is best in a duo/group/feature context.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 05:38:36 PM »
I guess I have high standards regarding Kurupt's performance. With all the great albums that came outta the South & East that year, Kurupt should have stepped it up for Cali. He was one of the few remaining artists that was capable of selling. Not after that album, as a fan I felt cheated.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 02:09:55 PM »
I'd probably call Space Boogie a personal classic although I have to agree with you it's probably not a classic.

yeah i love space boogie- to me its a classic minus that "just got paid" song... though alot of peeps give it hate

kuruption- 8.5/10 (west 9/10, east 7/10)
streetz - 10/10
space-- 9.5/10
atg------ 7/10
same day- 9/10

Paul

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »
I'd probably call Space Boogie a personal classic although I have to agree with you it's probably not a classic.

Even SIAM has some weak tracks but I still wouldn't think twice about calling it a classic. I really hate that Your Girlfriend track though and they had to make a part two ::)...

your gyrlfriend fuckin bangs, cant beleive anyone who likes west coast hip hop doesnt like this song

Obviously Streetz iz a mutha is his best album. Album is straight heat!! Definetly a westcoast classic maybe an overall classic.

Space Boogie: Damn fred wreck and daz hooked this album up great on the production. Fred Wrecks tracks such as the opener with Nate dogg and even the song with fred durst are hot as fuck. This album represents the highlight of kurupts mainstream solo career.

SDDS: This album just seems incomplete and "mailed in" a bit to me. "Ryde and roll" and "I get high 2" are clasics to me though. Some very poor tracks on it however.

Kuruption: He fucked up by making 2 average cds instead of one good one and not ripping it hard enough like everyone wanted from kurupt at the time.

Against the grain: i liked about half, i didnt really feel the production

man i agree with u on jus bout everything, streetz is kurupts most solid album, unbeleivably classic its not rite

space boogie though is kurupts highlight of solo albums, tracks like on onsite and gangstas are his best work to date
funkyfreshintheflesh

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
space boogie has some of the best songs yeah, but it's just so spotty.

none of you guys think the production on atg is original/different at all? it feels even kind of rock-ish to me, that shit just thunders. i was mobbin all over on a sunny day with busy ass streets through downtown fontana bumping that shit and it was just like the coming of the hordes, shit felt like a bumpasaurus that shit bangs man. but i guess it's just me.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 05:48:13 PM »
Space Boogie-The dopest songs on this album are doper than the dopest songs on TSIAM BUT TSIAM is a far more solid/consistent album. Alot of poor pop songs on here. and I have nothing against pop songs if they are well done. But alot of it is poorly executed IMO. To me, this album is Fred Wreck at his most Dre-influenced. Space Boogie the song makes me think this especially but also Hardest and On, Bring Back That G shit, Onsite-all dope songs too. Quik's song here is the shit too. Gangstaz and Fuck da world are some very different (musically) dogg pound songs that I like alot too.

That's how I always felt, which is why it was hard for me to decide which album I really liked better. I was playin both within the last two days, and I definitely agree. Songs like "It's over" will automatically make it worst than TSIAM....but I still get flashbacks of the first time I heard On on site, drivin on the 405 comin from the Manchester On Ramp goin to work back in July of 2001.....that's how dope it was, I remember exactly where I was at, what I was doin, etc. etc. etc. And when that harpsichord dropped in the second verse, it was a wrap!

d-nice

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 08:53:04 PM »
Tha Streetz had dope posse cuts and Dogg Pound cuts

Space Boogie had better solo cuts and more polished production. Fred Wreck was in a zone on that one

I like SDDS because other than Daz it is all Kurupt

Against The Grain has some dope cuts, but I like how Kurupt vented on there after all the DPG disses

Kuruption has some innovative collabos you don't see everyday and I always say that the West Coast disc holds its own with all of his albums

Kurupt has a nice discography even though he was not the DR Kurupt everyone wanted

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »
Space Boogie-The dopest songs on this album are doper than the dopest songs on TSIAM BUT TSIAM is a far more solid/consistent album. Alot of poor pop songs on here. and I have nothing against pop songs if they are well done. But alot of it is poorly executed IMO. To me, this album is Fred Wreck at his most Dre-influenced. Space Boogie the song makes me think this especially but also Hardest and On, Bring Back That G shit, Onsite-all dope songs too. Quik's song here is the shit too. Gangstaz and Fuck da world are some very different (musically) dogg pound songs that I like alot too.

That's how I always felt, which is why it was hard for me to decide which album I really liked better. I was playin both within the last two days, and I definitely agree. Songs like "It's over" will automatically make it worst than TSIAM....but I still get flashbacks of the first time I heard On on site, drivin on the 405 comin from the Manchester On Ramp goin to work back in July of 2001.....that's how dope it was, I remember exactly where I was at, what I was doin, etc. etc. etc. And when that harpsichord dropped in the second verse, it was a wrap!

yeah the first song is so so dope also... FUCK A BITCH AND FUCK U TOO!

then ON ONSITE is seriously the best kurupt solo tracc ever

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 10:01:03 AM »

R-tistic, i agree. I remember Space Boogie came out right when i was moving from Rialto to Fontana. My family lived in some apartments in between for like 2 months while escrow went thru and shit. I remember being in my/my brothers room in the apt, bumpin' 'on onsite' and that whole record. the harpsichord on that shit is sickadiddy.+1

Best solo Kurupt track ever? My vote goes to Locc'd Out Hood fromt he Gang Related soundtrack

-Kurupt rips it
-Daz and Soopafly producing
-Snoop doing hook/outro

DPGC shit

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »
Space Boogie is slept on. I really thought some big singles were missed to be put out on that album to blow it up. Musically it is dope. Smooth and gangsta at the same time. I would like to hear Daz and Fred Wreck co produce a whole Dogg Pound album. A song off of SB I have been bumping is Bring Back That G Shit. That shit is dope as fuck. Kurupt killed it and Snoop and Goldie Loc did as well but that beat from Fred  :o

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »
i think SB is slept on because it's so spotty. man...even songs that coulda been dope aren't, like if Kurupt would have ripped the everlast song, woulda been dope, but he did not rip it at all imo, which is a shame cause the beat and everlast were tight on it.

what were the singles besides 'it's over'? there was some definite potential for singles, just got paid and sunshine for sure would have been decent stabs.

dnice: best Kurupt solo track iyo?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
i think SB is slept on because it's so spotty. man...even songs that coulda been dope aren't, like if Kurupt would have ripped the everlast song, woulda been dope, but he did not rip it at all imo, which is a shame cause the beat and everlast were tight on it.

what were the singles besides 'it's over'? there was some definite potential for singles, just got paid and sunshine for sure would have been decent stabs.

dnice: best Kurupt solo track iyo?

-T

It's over was the only single. Sunshine got some radio play but that was it. Hmm, best solo track is tough. I personally like the lyrical Kurupt so I would break it down like this.

Best solo- Started

Best mainstream single- We Can Freak It

Best guest appearance- Got My Mind Made Up

Best Dogg Pound Verse- Every Single Day
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:58:35 AM by d-nice »