Author Topic: How bad was Dre's "The Aftermath" album  (Read 1093 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: How bad was Dre's "The Aftermath" album
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 05:35:43 AM »
"East Coast Killaz/West Coast Killaz" was one of the most important songs/video's in hip-hop history.  Although it never got the credit it deserved.  If nothing else, the album was special because of that one song.

Also, there were other interesting tracks on the album, such as Dre's "Been There, Done That", the David Bowie cover "Fame" and Nationowl's track.

But ultimately the R&B tracks were weak, and Dre says some of the songs were just demo's that they put on the album because they were rushed for time.

I still listen to the album.  Actually, I listen to it even more than his other albums.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

messi19

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 05:45:47 AM »
I think I had this album but don't remember.. any chance someone can hook it up?

I got it. Check ya pm.

Hook me up too homie!

XaNdEr

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 05:51:44 AM »
For me it has stood the teeth of time, i still listen to it til today, it is a really cool ass album, has a nice, smooth vibe to it.  8)

Maybe the R&B songs are weak for hiphop fans, but as R&B it is definately not weak, i prefer such R&B songs over that poppy bullshit nowadays like Ne-Yo, Mario Winans, Bobby Valentino etc.

gchild

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 06:01:48 AM »
Wasn't there an interview with someone(can't remember the name) that Dre just got married and was in love or something and that affected the direction the album?

Nasty Nem

• 'G'
  • HOV
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 06:47:46 AM »
It was decent.

and ya don't stop

StevenQBosell

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 06:53:04 AM »
I rememebr back in like 1997 when this compilation came out, all my firends was just saying how "wack" the album.

10 years later, in retrospect, this album freakin BANGS!

There's not much Dre on it, but if you LOVE classic G Funk, this album is for you.

Some of the beats are hit and miss, but the beat for that Mel Man joint "Shittin On the World" is is off the chains, thought it was dope in 97, and that shit is still dope today.

The sad part is, that Aftermath compilation is way more entertaining than 95.3% of the bullshit that comes out now...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »
I rememebr back in like 1997 when this compilation came out, all my firends was just saying how "wack" the album.

There's not much Dre on it, but if you LOVE classic G Funk, this album is for you.

Some of the beats are hit and miss, but the beat for that Mel Man joint "Shittin On the World" is is off the chains, thought it was dope in 97, and that shit is still dope today.

The sad part is, that Aftermath compilation is way more entertaining than 95.3% of the bullshit that comes out now...

Nice post.

btw, it came out Sept. 96
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 07:18:59 AM »
The two RC tracks are fire - some of the best produced tracks I've ever heard, especially Sexy Dance.

StevenQBosell

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 07:36:27 AM »

Nice post.

btw, it came out Sept. 96

That's right, sho, nuff, I forgot... I remember I was a sophmore in high school when this came out... the record got hated on so much back in day.... I dare anyone to say this isn't classic Dre production (the tracks he did produce).

BTW I would have to loved to hear Snoop over a lot of these beats too...

And you can really see the influence Mel Man had on him, particularly all releases after this one (Besides King Tee, the Firm and Slim Shady LP.)

Anybody notice how Dre gave Eminem a lot of throwaway Firm beats for his Slim Shady LP?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:38:57 AM by stevenqbosell »

The Predator

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 11:03:45 AM »
Apart from 'Been there Done That' it was a rubbish compilation.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:07:21 AM by The Predator »

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »
For me it has stood the teeth of time, i still listen to it til today, it is a really cool ass album, has a nice, smooth vibe to it.  8)

Maybe the R&B songs are weak for hiphop fans, but as R&B it is definately not weak, i prefer such R&B songs over that poppy bullshit nowadays like Ne-Yo, Mario Winans, Bobby Valentino etc.
Couldn't have said it better  8)

Props man
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

Anybody notice how Dre gave Eminem a lot of throwaway Firm beats for his Slim Shady LP?

Naw man.. I actually think those are fresh beats that Dre made for Em on the Slim Shady LP.  I mean.. I can't imagine Nas and AZ rappin over the corky "My Name Is" beat or the "Giulty Conscience" beat.  Even though "Role Model" beat sounds too hardcore to fit the lazy Firm style.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »

Couldn't have said it better  8)

Props man

Good point, yeah.. Dre's R&B I definitely prefer to that Ne-Yo, Mario Winans, and Bobby Valentino stuff that's hot today........

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 01:15:06 PM »
When Dre left Death Row, he wanted to stop making hip hop because of the violence and focus on R&B, so half or more are just singing. But the tracks that aren't R&B are pretty good. Especially the King Tee song.

the rnb shit is weak.... rap tracks are dope tho

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 01:55:03 PM »
i could see 'role model' being used for the firm, but i still think all dre's beats for SSLP were tailormade.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram