Author Topic: How bad was Dre's "The Aftermath" album  (Read 1097 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: How bad was Dre's "The Aftermath" album
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 08:02:16 AM »
how is no one going to give "Fame" any love??? Dre dropped a sick ass beat on that one and the remake of the old classic is up to its standards. King T comes on and rips the verse, one of my fav songs on the cd. All the dre produced tracks are sick, i really liked that style he had during thiss time

King Tee did alright on that track, but you know that origionally Busta Rhymes was supposed to guest appear and I think it was going to be a single.  I don't like Busta that much, but I would have liked to have seen it become a single.   But that song is one of Dre's most under-rated.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 06:34:05 AM »
Okay, now we got a classic.  I made a new tracklist, got rid of the wack cuts, and added a quick review of each song with rating out of 10.

1.  10- Group Therapy- "East Coast Killaz/ West Coast Killaz"- Most under-rated hip-hop song ever.  Most important hip-hop song ever.
2.  7.5- Mel-Man- "Shittin On The World"-  The beat is bangin! obviously he doesn't have that much skills on the mic, but he's making fun of himself anyway, so it works.
3.  7.5- RBX- "Blunt Time"-  Another great beat, RBX flips it, makes it smooth, another innovative track.
4.  8.5- Dr. Dre- "Been There, Done That"-  Dre takes a trip down memory lane, a little too materialistic, but still a memorable track detailing Dre's departure from gangsta rap.
5.  1.5- Kim Summerson- "Choices"-  better than most R&B on radio today
6.  3- Hands On- "Got Me Open"-  Beat is bangin, Dre drops a verse similar to No Diggity, could of possibly been a single
7.  7.5-King T- "Straight Gone"-  The only gangsta cut on the album, a certified banger, no doubt
8.  2- Maurice Wilcher- "Please"-  Again, not that great, but better than most R&B out on radio today
9.  6.5- RC-  "Sexy Dance"-  This track also could have been a single, this is easily the best R&B joint on the album
10.  3.5- Sharief- "L.A.W."-  If nothing else, this song displays Dre's willingness to work with East Coast artists/styles
11.  9- National- "NOWL"-  This is a really interesting track, a mood is sad, doomsday, brooding, melancholy, kind of predicts the fall of hip-hop, the rhymes/metaphors are creative, and it all comes together to make one of the most compelling tracks on the album.  The beat is smooth like the other tracks Dre worked on, and the rappers voice sounds like Hitman but his lyrics have way more depth than any of Hitman's work.
12.  8- RC-  "Fame"-  David Bowie cover.  Another track that could have been a single.  The beat is sick, and King T comes tight on it.  Could of had crossover alternative appeal as well.

^^  So if the album would have came out like that.  12 tracks deep.  I think the critics couldn't hate on that.  That's some visionary work, it's the album of Dre's I still listen to the most after all these years. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 06:37:58 AM by Shakur Abdul-Latif's Definition Of Hip-Hop..by -Infinite- »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 07:39:04 AM »
I think I had this album but don't remember.. any chance someone can hook it up?

kemizt

MediumL

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
i think it got such as backlash partly because dre had left deathrow and partly cause people were worried dre was turning rnb.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

ressaw

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 09:03:37 AM »
i remember there was an interview with dr. dre on mtv (in his studio) in 1996. he was talking about this song and played a version of it. he also told that he called busta rhymes to be a part of "fame".

12.  8- RC-  "Fame"-  David Bowie cover.  Another track that could have been a single.  The beat is sick, and King T comes tight on it.  Could of had crossover alternative appeal as well.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 10:56:41 AM »
i remember there was an interview with dr. dre on mtv (in his studio) in 1996. he was talking about this song and played a version of it. he also told that he called busta rhymes to be a part of "fame".

Yep, I remember that interview.  He also said he was going to edit out the part that says, "Got to get the money, need the cash, hah, come on, got to get it".  But then he left it.  Which lead me to believe, maybe there were a lot of changes he was still going to make to the album, but that he was rushed.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 06:08:49 PM »
Okay, now we got a classic.  I made a new tracklist, got rid of the wack cuts, and added a quick review of each song with rating out of 10.

1.  10- Group Therapy- "East Coast Killaz/ West Coast Killaz"- Most under-rated hip-hop song ever.  Most important hip-hop song ever.
2.  7.5- Mel-Man- "Shittin On The World"-  The beat is bangin! obviously he doesn't have that much skills on the mic, but he's making fun of himself anyway, so it works.
3.  7.5- RBX- "Blunt Time"-  Another great beat, RBX flips it, makes it smooth, another innovative track.
4.  8.5- Dr. Dre- "Been There, Done That"-  Dre takes a trip down memory lane, a little too materialistic, but still a memorable track detailing Dre's departure from gangsta rap.
5.  1.5- Kim Summerson- "Choices"-  better than most R&B on radio today
6.  3- Hands On- "Got Me Open"-  Beat is bangin, Dre drops a verse similar to No Diggity, could of possibly been a single
7.  7.5-King T- "Straight Gone"-  The only gangsta cut on the album, a certified banger, no doubt
8.  2- Maurice Wilcher- "Please"-  Again, not that great, but better than most R&B out on radio today
9.  6.5- RC-  "Sexy Dance"-  This track also could have been a single, this is easily the best R&B joint on the album
10.  3.5- Sharief- "L.A.W."-  If nothing else, this song displays Dre's willingness to work with East Coast artists/styles
11.  9- National- "NOWL"-  This is a really interesting track, a mood is sad, doomsday, brooding, melancholy, kind of predicts the fall of hip-hop, the rhymes/metaphors are creative, and it all comes together to make one of the most compelling tracks on the album.  The beat is smooth like the other tracks Dre worked on, and the rappers voice sounds like Hitman but his lyrics have way more depth than any of Hitman's work.

^^  So if the album would have came out like that.  12 tracks deep.  I think the critics couldn't hate on that.  That's some visionary work, it's the album of Dre's I still listen to the most after all these years. 

My thoughts? Dre tracks on Aftermath + Dre tracks from The Firm= what dre should have put on ONE disc under his and Nas' name in 96. Dre and Nas present...Mafioso Rap...woulda been sick.

actually I have a post called 'mafioso rap' from a while back where I talk about what dre was doing in my view at this time.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »

My thoughts? Dre tracks on Aftermath + Dre tracks from The Firm= what dre should have put on ONE disc under his and Nas' name in 96. Dre and Nas present...Mafioso Rap...woulda been sick.

actually I have a post called 'mafioso rap' from a while back where I talk about what dre was doing in my view at this time.

-T

Hit me with a link