Thriller
Beat it
Billie Jean
Human Nature
P.Y.T.
The Lady In My Life
Someone in the Dark
Carousel

Author Topic: The Thriller Thread  (Read 452 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: The Thriller Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 12:36:35 AM »
I think off the wall is about as dope as thriller. but it's hard to say one's better than the other to me

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »
lyric writing ability= song writing ability

I think your arguments rely heavily on the above premise^

-T

I don't quite get what you mean. Are you saying they are the same, or that they are equally important, or that I'm saying they are equally important?

For the record I wouldn'tconsider my points arguments. An argument would be trying to explain to you why I'm right. If you said welfare helps the poor in the long run the way it's set up in this society I would argue with you. Saying you love the Thriller album why I don't like it all that much isn't something I'd argue. I'm just giving my opinions on what I feel constitutes being good music.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2007, 11:32:04 PM »
i'm saying that's what it seemed to be what you're saying.

i think it takes alot of craft to express things through musical nuances in tone and melody as well as the words. alot of people interpret the sound of tracks like billie jean and wanna be startin somethin as very paranoid outcries and that reflects cold war mentality etc. too but because the lyrics involve sex/hint at sex at times it's shallow or poorer songwriting than springsteen?

the only thing I'm arguing with, really, is you saying MJ is like Bacstreet boys when in musical reality he is much closer to a marvin gaye, stevie wonder than he is a justin timberlake or a backstreet boys you know?

let me elaborate just a bit, the chronic is a pop album but it doesn't make it any less hardcore gangsta rap.

michael jackson late 70's early 80's at least was primarily a r and b, funk, wonder/tower/scaggz/gaye type dude. just cause his shit BLEW the fuck up doesn't strip it of its musical nature and place it squarely into the 'catchy but unsubstantial and popular music' category you know?

i'm sure it's not what you intend, but it just comes across as knockin' it cause it's so popular.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram