Author Topic: Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica  (Read 81 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:03:20 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_Mask_Replica

so this album is highly regarded, yet after listening 3-4 times, it still sounds like a whole bunch of out of tune, out of harmony, nonsense. Anyone else know this album? opinions?

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
Re: Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:46:23 PM »
Yeah my roommate did the same shit, he read the review, liked what he read, then bought it online, this album's only use is to be used as a frisbee to throw at dying cats, this album fuckin' sucks...

everlast1986

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
I've always wondered about this album since Frank Zappa produced it. My old band teacher played me a song on this that was supposed to be about the holocaust or something and i remember it sounding really fucked up. If i ever saw an LP of this at a good price i'd buy it.

Diabolical

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »
It's fucking great! You're not gonna like it if you spend your time listening to the Beatles, RHCP and 50 Cent/Dipset, but if you like free jazz it's definitely worth getting.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:57:12 PM »
i love jazz, but this is just a fuckin mess. and the dudes anoying voice completes it

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »
It's fucking great! You're not gonna like it if you spend your time listening to the Beatles, RHCP and 50 Cent/Dipset, but if you like free jazz it's definitely worth getting.

Is that what you call it? Free Jazz?  I could round up like 4 of my friends and play all out of tune and it would sound better than this

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 04:26:15 AM »
I've listened to this a few times, the first time it just sounded unaccessible but as you listen to it more it all starts to come together. It demands your attention making it harder to appreciate, it's definitely not a record you can just throw on.

Diabolical

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »

Is that what you call it? Free Jazz?

Well no, but it takes a lot of influence from free jazz.